Can’t we visit the Pyramids at Giza before 8:30 am?!

Steppinup

Hi,

This feels like a really stupid question, so apologies in advance ...

We enquired about a customised private tour of Cairo asking particularly about any difficulties our 3:30-4:30 AM disembarkation at Suez port on December 8th might cause.

Mostly that Q was ignored but one operator replied that we would arrive in Cairo at approx 6am and the tour would start at 8:30 am at the Pyramids?! :confused:

Since we have to leave Cairo to reboard at Port Said at 5pm that evening we are keen to start our tour ASAP. Our priorities are Pyramids of Giza, Sphinx, Egyptian antiquities museum, Khan el Khalili. Desirable extras would be Memphis and Sakkara and/or more of Cairo.

Any insights would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

ZsaZsa

Hi, Zsa Zsa,

I think it is wonderful to disembark so early in Port Said. Peter Greenberg says that the best time to see the Pyramids at Giza is at sunrise; however, you won't be there that early. An alternative would be to take an Overland Tour and stay at the Mena House, where one can see the sun rise over the pyramids from your hotel room. You then hook back up with your ship the next day in Alexandria. We are using Ramses Tours.

There is a lot of information on our RollCall.

Since I last visited Egypt, I've read that they have instituted more security around the pyramids, including (if I remember correctly) a fence around the perimeter. It could be that this does not open until 8:30, but I would try to get more information from the agency you're working with. You can certainly see the pyramids (they are so huge you can see them from most anywhere in Giza and feel that you are close), but it could be that you cannot get up to the plateau at 6:00 am.

FWIW, while Memphis is pleasant I wouldn't put it at the top of the list for a one-day visit. Saqqara is terrific but it requires time to get there and once there deserves several hours, so again it may not be doable when you only have a day.

Debbie of Casual Cairo does breakfast at the Pyramids. You get on a camel predawn and then ride on to the Plateau.

I would hate to tell you how they get past the guards but it includes a common Egyptian custom called Baksheesh.

I am pretty sure they can arrange to pick up you from Suez and be there very early.

http://casualcairodetours.com/

http://www.youtube.com/smeyer418#p/u/53/pa8b86JeHLw

Thanks, that really helps. It all makes sense now :). We had initially contacted Debbie and other guides months ago and had some info back that contradicted the information that we were send just recently!

I apologise for the tardy reply.

Cheers

Zsa

Archived