Does Carnival always dock at Mahogany Bay?

divinmule

The intented berth is Mahogany Bay for all Carnvial and Princess and HAL ships. Whethe ror not a ship docks there on any particular day is dependent upon the Captain's decision given the current weather or likelihood of adverse weather later. As navybaby has pointed out, the cove is shallow and narrow due to silt from runoff and any strong wind will whip up waves and current making it difficult for larger ships to manuevuer. If you are planning a Carnival excursion (ex renting cabanas) they will still have those excursions if the ship docks in Coxen Hole as an alternative. If you are planning an excursion form a private vendor, they are all very much aware if a ship is changing piers and they will change to meet you. Most will refund money if the ship does not dock, but confirm their policies for your own peace of mind. I would not pre-reserve the Clip N Zip zip line as walk-up zippers are welcomed and there isn't a long wait.

If they end up docking in Coxen Hole, will Carnival shuttle you over to Mahagony Bay? We are thinking of just spending the day there shopping and walking around the beach area, so I was wondering if for some reason we can't dock there, will they offer a shuttle to and from so we can still go. Anyone know?

Coxen Hole is big enough for only 1 ship, so it's highly unlikely that a carnival ship would be able to dock there even they wanted to. When I was there in late July the Epic was able to dock at Coxen Hole but the carnival ships were unable to dock at Mahogany. Instead they spent a day at sea and we had the island to ourselves.

If they end up docking in Coxen Hole, will Carnival shuttle you over to Mahagony Bay? We are thinking of just spending the day there shopping and walking around the beach area, so I was wondering if for some reason we can't dock there, will they offer a shuttle to and from so we can still go. Anyone know?

No. If you dock at Coxen Hole instead of Mahogany Bay, and you are the only ship scheduled for MBCC, Mahogany Bay is not open. Sometimes a smaller Princess or Carnival ship can dock at MBCC even when a larger ship cannot or it's too difficult to get two ships in the cove. Thne MBCC will be open but you will have to take a taxi there on your own. This is probably a rare event, though. And as sdmike has mentioned, if there is another ship in Coxen Hole, you will have a wonderful day at sea. If you are concerned abotu docking or not docking in Roatan, you may wish to check out the schedule listed in cruisett.com to see how many and which ships are scheduled for the day you will be in port. Be aware that this too is subject to change and may not be the latest update.

I would not pre-reserve the Clip N Zip zip line as walk-up zippers are welcomed and there isn't a long wait.

I've been looking at their website. Are they really as close as they mention or is that just their office and then you have to travel a distance to the actual zip line? We have some in our party who are subject to being car-sick and I don't think a long commute in mountainous territory would be fitting for us. ;)

Have you used Clip 'N Zip before?

Coxen Hole is big enough for only 1 ship, so it's highly unlikely that a carnival ship would be able to dock there even they wanted to. When I was there in late July the Epic was able to dock at Coxen Hole but the carnival ships were unable to dock at Mahogany. Instead they spent a day at sea and we had the island to ourselves.

Coxen Hole can accomodate at least two ships these days, There have been times that there have been three there but they may have stopped that to avoid the tendering.

I've been looking at their website. Are they really as close as they mention or is that just their office and then you have to travel a distance to the actual zip line? We have some in our party who are subject to being car-sick and I don't think a long commute in mountainous territory would be fitting for us. ;)

Have you used Clip 'N Zip before?

It's not a long ride, but yes they do take you via pickup trucks and jeeps to the top of the zip line. These aren't mountain mountains highest point on the island is only 800 feet or so. The points above Mahoganey Bay are probably closer to 6-700 feet. If you head for the West End beaches, you will have steep windy roads as well.

Thanks for your help! Is the zip line there close to the office and where we will dock or is it at another site altogether? By "not a long ride," about how many minutes? Is the zip line itself a fun one and worth the $45?

Thanks again for your help.

It is about a 5 minute truck ride to the first line at the top right from where the office is.

It is 40.00 if you show that you are coming off a cruiseship by the way:D

Did you get a response regarding this question?

They said either port is an easy drive by taxi...but I was a little put off that their online advertised price is not their true price.

Haven't made a decision about using them yet. Waitin to find out if Carnival offers a dive there and how much it would cost.

Archived