Summit Positives and Negatives, Just OFF the Summit 9-5 LONG

Terry in NJ

We were on this cruise as well. I concur with most of Terry's comments, especially about the iBroadway Show. It was spectacular!

Re: Select Dining...we did not make any reservations in advance because as Terry said, with 4 scheduled ports of call, you can't predict exactly when you'll want to eat. However, only once did we have to wait before being seated (7:15 - 7:30) Generally, we arrived about that time and were accomodated, either at a table for two or a shared-6. As Terry said, the steak was really good, but better steak knives would have been appreciated!

At the breakfast buffet, there were 4-5 kinds of poached eggs, including "Scotch Eggs", which were served on a toasted English muffin and topped with a slice of smoked salmon. Buffet Tip: Don't stop at the first station. Most items were repeated and while one omelet station had about 7 people on line, the next one was empty!

Another tip: UNsweetened ice tea was only available at one beverage station, about 180 degrees from where you enter. (DH only found out on day 5)

There was no lack of lounge chairs, however a great many were on deck 11 (one up from the pool) and these chairs had no shade. And it was over 90 degrees each day, so they went begging most of the time.

Staff was wonderful and friendly as Terry said. Some minor cosmetic issues but on the whole the ship looked terrific. Loved the scrap booking classes and line dancing at the pool with the fabulous James. He's a real star!!

It was our first on Celebrity, but will not be our last.

Marsha

Thanks for adding more valuable info. to Terry's review. I sure hope they have some of these same entertainers in December.

What type of cabin did you occupy and how was it?

Terry, I have not cruised with celebrity but thinking about booking one for Jan.

Reading your pros and cons I noticed how long debarkation took.... can you tell me if celebrity does express walk off ( when you take your own luggage off)?

Let's be clear that the length of the disembarkation was not long when you consider that the ship was not tied up until almost 12:45 PM due to being late due to Earl.

Yes, with Celebrity you can self disembark. On this cruise those folks were off the ship by 1:15 PM.

Regarding select dining -- we won't sail on any line that doesn't offer it and we also were on this sailing. I have to say we showed up around 7 or 7:30 and never had a problem being seated. I can't understand reservations...if you have open seating, why reserve something?

We were in 6145 and it was a fabulous suite. Except wire hangers in a suite????? That was quite a shock. When I asked for extra hangers, he brought me more wire hangers. The butler wouldn't fit in my suitcase, though.:o We also were startled at 2-ish with crashing in our room. The only real annoying problem was the closet has a sliding door that kept banging back and forth until I was able to shove a piece of luggage to keep the door opened. Yes, we had quite a ride!

I wish the dining room had been opened more often for breakfast and lunch as I'm not fond of buffets.

My only "complaint" was the dreaded Baked Alaska parade. If both HAL and X would lose it, we'd not miss it.

I'm sorry we missed the Bay of Fundy. This was our 3rd miss. Do you think someone's trying to tell me something???:eek:

All in all, loved the cruise and can't wait to sail on X again!

We were in 6145 and it was a fabulous suite. !

Thanks for the positive review of 6145. Glad to hear problems have been fixed. I was rather worried after reading "mrsfanci's" reports of problems in the suite in July. Did you experience any noise from the PH next door?

Please email me if you can so I don't bore everyone here with my questions!!

Regarding select dining -- we won't sail on any line that doesn't offer it and we also were on this sailing. I can't understand reservations...if you have open seating, why reserve something?

Except wire hangers in a suite????? That was quite a shock. When I asked for extra hangers, he brought me more wire hangers.

My only "complaint" was the dreaded Baked Alaska parade. If both HAL and X would lose it, we'd not miss it.

I agree 100%, Esther. ;)

Thanks for the positive review of 6145. Glad to hear problems have been fixed. I was rather worried after reading "mrsfanci's" reports of problems in the suite in July. Did you experience any noise from the PH next door?

Please email me if you can so I don't bore everyone here with my questions!!

You've got mail.

mbw1024:

I reserved for our group of 7 each night. On the first night, we just happened to start chatting with two nice couples while waiting on line to be seated. The hostess asked if we'd all like to sit together, so we sat with them at a table for 11 they had available. The next 5 nights it was the 7 of us at our own table, and it was the same table, same waitstaff, each night.

On the last night, because my SIL and BIL were ill due to Earl, 5 of us showed up, and they sat us at a table for 5.

From what I understand, you could show up, and wait for a table of your party's size, or join other guests at a large table.

Hope this helps.

I forgot to mention that the hairdryer is in the bathroom. On the Explorer, it was in the desk/"make up table"/ drawer, which is greatly preferred.

Three people trying to shower and get ready for dinner? The hair dryer must be in a different location from the shower. :)

I made do, but my original thread was positives and negatives, so this would be a negative.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the reviews and your honest opinions. We are doing Select Dining on our upcoming cruise, but now I'm having some concerns after reading all the negatives. Are you allowed to go back to traditional dining if you are not satisfied with Select Dining.

I forgot to mention that the hairdryer is in the bathroom. On the Explorer, it was in the desk/"make up table"/ drawer, which is greatly preferred.

Oh that hairdryer!!! I didn't like it at all! I saw someone else complain that it was too weak. Ours was just the opposite; it blew so hard that it was almost impossible to style the hair while drying. Not only could one not regulate the power of the blowing strength, it operated at a single temperature: HOT! I was also used to a desk-located hairdryer on the Oasis with variable speeds and temperature.

Terry, we were also on deck 2. I read something somewhere that indicated those in upgraded staterooms had different/better hairdryers.

Archived