Granada & Alhambra Palace

Poohb

I have absolutely now idea what type of information you are seeking.

There is a much loser rate of violent crime there than in an American city of the same size.

As with any crowded tourist site any place in the world yo need to be on guard for pickpockets and such.

So, safer than Hartford or even New Haven.

Was thinking more about religious connections. I think history shows that Alhambra was originally Muslim. We are aware of the usual 'tourist' stuff (pickpockets, etc). I'm more concerned about fanaticism. Sorry for being vague in the first post. It looks like a beautiful place to see.

Was thinking more about religious connections. I think history shows that Alhambra was originally Muslim. We are aware of the usual 'tourist' stuff (pickpockets, etc). I'm more concerned about fanaticism. Sorry for being vague in the first post. It looks like a beautiful place to see.

The fanatics were the Christians who conquered Grenada. Muslim Spain had, by far, the highest culture and most religiously tolerant rulers in Europe (Muslims, Jews and Christian scholars interacted freely).

Present day Islamic radicals would see the Alhambra as decadent beyond redemption.

Directly to your point: I do not remember reading any instances of terrorism associated with the Alhambra.

Granada was re-conquered by the 'The Catholic Monarchs' in 1492. It has the same years as part of the Kingdom of Spain as America continent of being discovered. There is no danger associated to Muslims.

Alhambra is one of the most magical, beautiful and enchanting places in Earth, and the whole city of Granada is unique. Go and visit it, you won't be disappointed.

If you go in a cruise, I recommend the cruise excursion to Alhambra, because it is not close to the ports, and there is a strictly time system to visit the palace itself. Buying tickets the same time is almost impossible, you need to be very early, so I recommend buying it in advance or with tour operators. The ticket will have the time for the palace assigned and you are free to visit the rest of the complex at your own time. If you have time, take a walk thru the old city, walk along the Darro River (I really don't remember if that is the name), and visit the Albaicín, the ancient Arab quarter.

If you go in a cruise, I recommend the cruise excursion to Alhambra, because it is not close to the ports, and there is a strictly time system to visit the palace itself. Buying tickets the same time is almost impossible, you need to be very early, so I recommend buying it in advance or with tour operators. The ticket will have the time for the palace assigned and you are free to visit the rest of the complex at your own time. If you have time, take a walk thru the old city, walk along the DarroRiver (I really don't remember if that is the name), and visit the Albaicín, the ancient Arab quarter.

I have to second this poster's advice, due to the distance from the port and the difficulty in getting tickets for the exact times that you need.

Granada and the Alhambra are a MUST SEE on any list.

If you are on a time schedule you must purchase tickets prior to your arrival as there are only a limited number sold for the palace on a daily basis. The grounds tickets, which are magnificent and take an entire day to see, are readily available.

You are probably safer in Europe than anywhere in the U.S. We walked all over Granada, even late into the night with no problems.

For those planning to spend a little time in Spain on their own, we strongly recommend the quasi-government owned Parador that is actually located inside the Ahlambra. This is the most difficult Parador to get a reservation (we had to book months in advance) but the place is a true gem (and a national historical shrine). Imagine having your breakfast on the expansive patio (remember, you are actually inside the Ahlhambra) and gazing across the valley with a front seat view of the Generalife (beautiful gardens). We do agree with the posting that, for a cruise day, once should probably take the ships tour or arrange for a private tour that includes reservations for the Ahlhambra. But this all pales by comparison to actually spending one or two nights at the place.

Hank

Archived