Formal Nights..

cptncrunch

Are the two formal nights mandatory. Im not really sure how it works. I mean where does it take place? There are alot of other restaurants on the ship as well, Like do you have to dress formal in all of those restaurants including the buffet? Or does this "formal dining" take place in its own place. Kinda confused about the whole formal thing, please bare with me. Will be cruising on the Ruby Princess in the near future.

Okay, let me have a go at this.

Here are the dining options for dinner:

1) the main dining room. When you booked your cruise, you may have been asked if you want traditional or anytime dining. When you get your cabin card when checking in, your dining assignment will be listed. Both types of dining have the same dress code: smart casual on s.c. nights and formal on formal nights.

2) specialty dining rooms. These are the ones that have a cover charge (Sabinitinis, etc.). I believe it's now always smart casual. But you can double check with the reservations clerk when onboard if you want to try them out.

3) the buffet. On most Princess ships, it's the Horizon Court, with its two entrances. You can dress down in shorts or even wear a tux (I've seen that range on formal nights). You do need to wear shoes or sandals and some sort of clothes (no wet bathing suits that aren't covered). Much of the same entrees/food are served there as in the main dining rooms -- just not the whole menu. It's usually open 24 hours, with often one side of it closed to change out the menu at various times of the day. Sometimes one side will be closed off so that the kids can have their private dinner.

4) For early dining, there's the pool side grill and pizzeria, both of which are closed by 6pm. Some ships also have an indoors pizzeria which probably is open during dinner.

5) room service. But usually just full suite passengers get a full menu. Otherwise, it's along the lines of sandwiches and salads.

6) Ultimate Balcony Dining. Has a cover charge. I don't think you need to have a balcony cabin.

For the full dining experiences on your ship, you can check out princess.com and find the onboard experience section. It will list the actual dining facilities for your ship.

The specialty restaurants are always smart casual according to Princess corporate and the emails they send you before your cruise. There have been posters that said that on the Ruby and sometimes other ships they have tried to make the specialty restaurants formal when it is formal night in the dining rooms.

Here are directions to find the information from Princess on their website:

Here are two places on the Princess website that explain their policy on smart casual clothing being appropriate on Formal Nights in the Specialty Restaurants.

1) Go to the Princess website at www.Princess.com

Highlight “Prepare For Your Cruise” by putting your curser over that tab.

From the drop down menu that appears click on “FAQ: Cruise Answer Place”

On the left hand side click on “Dining & Nightlife” under the Onboard section.

Scroll down to the “Casual Dining Venues” and click on the + sign.

It states the following:

“When a casual mood calls, you have plenty of choices – even on formal nights. Whether it be one of our specialty restaurants, the 24-hour buffet at the Horizon Court, the pizzeria, burger & hot dog grill, or 24-hour room service, you’re able to choose how you dine with us.”

2) Go to the Princess website at www.Princess.com

Highlight “Prepare For Your Cruise” by putting your curser over that tab.

From the drop down menu that appears click on “FAQ: Cruise Answer Place”

On the left hand side click on “Onboard Experience” under the Onboard section.

Click on the + sign next to “Onboard Atmosphere”

Read the first bullet point that again states that on Formal Nights the dress code should be observed in the Main Dining Room and Anytime Dining Rooms. Not included are the Specialty Restaurants. So Smart Casual is the dress code in the Specialty Restaurants, even on Formal Nights.

It states the following:

“When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.”

Thank you, as I said, I have never enjoyed the Specialty Dining Rooms, so I just wanted to confirm they were smart casual. I guess all I have to do is follow Princess rules :D

Thanks again for taking the time, I do appreciate it.

Princess seems to be catching on slowly. We prefer cruising, but chose to spend $200K on a Motor Home over cruising to australia, etc. due to their inconsistent "formal" policy. The $200k could have been spent cruising.

I do not understand what you mean by your statement. :confused:

Wrong. It most certainly was a Princess ship. The Emerald Princess, last week.

Torn jeans in the MDR on both formal nights - each time with flip flop sandals. And this was no young child. The man looked to be in his late 30's. The rest of the week? The same man wore a baseball cap throughout dinner each night in the MDR.

I've sailed with Princess a total of 7 times since 2003 and what people consider to be "formal" gets worse and worse each cruise. I blame the Maitre D's who allow it.

Wow, the worst I have seen on Formal Night was a man not wearing a jacket. I am really surprised the Matre'd allowed it. It just doesn't sound like Princess. I have seen plenty of passengers turned away on Formal Night, for just not having a jacket.

Maybe their luggage got lost :eek:

Thank you, as I said, I have never enjoyed the Specialty Dining Rooms, so I just wanted to confirm they were smart casual. I guess all I have to do is follow Princess rules :D

Thanks again for taking the time, I do appreciate it.

Oops, I worded it wrong! What I meant to say is, that I have not had the pleasure of dining in one of the Specialty dining rooms, yet. I am looking forward to, on my next cruise.

Wow, the worst I have seen on Formal Night was a man not wearing a jacket. I am really surprised the Matre'd allowed it. It just doesn't sound like Princess. I have seen plenty of passengers turned away on Formal Night, for just not having a jacket.

Maybe their luggage got lost :eek:

Gosh I'm sorry, it's apparent I wasn't very clear. Let me try this again. He didn't wear those same torn jeans and flip flops the entire voyage so it was not a case of lost luggage. If you cannot or do not want to dress appropriately on formal night, there are other alternative places to eat than the main dining room. It's really not that difficult.

Bottom line is the staff (especially the Maitre D) should not have allowed it the first formal night let alone again on the second formal night. I believe it's on Carnival where Formal Night is "optional" or "suggested" or "do it if ya wanna but if ya don't wanna well then wear whatcha like and that's fine by us too". This was Princess where expectations are a tad bit different.

The guy did not lose his luggage, he had different clothes on each night. In fact, he looked better on the smart casual nights since he didn't wear torn jeans and flip flops then. He did wear a baseball cap throughout dinner. He had clothes, alright, he chose not to wear appropriate ones for formal night.

It seems to me that some people dress improperly to get a rise out of other cruisers... It is of course in bad taste and bodes more for the person wearing it than anyone else. We try not to pay attention to the person whose dresses poorly. . Do they serve the UBD on formal nights. just asking?

It seems to me that some people dress improperly to get a rise out of other cruisers... It is of course in bad taste and bodes more for the person wearing it than anyone else. We try not to pay attention to the person whose dresses poorly. . Do they serve the UBD on formal nights. just asking?

Yes, they do.

Princess seems to be catching on slowly. We prefer cruising, but chose to spend $200K on a Motor Home over cruising to australia, etc. due to their inconsistent "formal" policy. The $200k could have been spent cruising.

Why on Earth would you spend money on something that is not your preferred vacation just to "spite" a cruise line that doesn't even know or care that you exist? :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

GracefulOceanWaves; I believe it's on Carnival where Formal Night is "optional" or "suggested" or "do it if ya wanna but if ya don't wanna well then wear whatcha like and that's fine by us too". This was Princess where expectations are a tad bit different.

I have been on several Carnival cruises in the past few years and have never seen anyone in jeans on formal night. The lowest level of formal were the men wearing dress slacks and dress shirts without jackets or ties. In fact most of the ladies dressed to the nines.

I have also been on the luxury cruise line Oceania where they specifically forbid suites/jackets and ties during the entire cruise.

As Carnival Cruise Lines owns Princess perhaps they are starting to relax the dress code.

Are the two formal nights mandatory. Im not really sure how it works. I mean where does it take place? There are alot of other restaurants on the ship as well, Like do you have to dress formal in all of those restaurants including the buffet? Or does this "formal dining" take place in its own place. Kinda confused about the whole formal thing, please bare with me. Will be cruising on the Ruby Princess in the near future.

You will receive many different opinions, I can only state what happened on our cruise last year. When some people showed up for the MDR in jeans and sneakers on formal nites, they were told it was quite crowded and to come back in an hour. That seemed to satisfy everyone. We did see that gentleman return and he was seated - no problem. I think given the times, with airlines charging for suitcases, staying before or after your cruise in one city or another and trying to make the most of packing what your can, the cruiselines are easing up on tuxedos and gowns. Some people love to get dressed formal while to others it's not their cup of tea. No matter what, everyone should try and understand that maybe that person did not have room or would rather spend the money on a tour instead of a tux/gown rental. Who is to say if you don't dress up then stay home, isn't it everyone's right to chose what is best for themselves.

BTW, yes this was a Princess Cruise and no one seemed upset as to how people were or weren't dressed.

You will receive many different opinions, I can only state what happened on our cruise last year. When some people showed up for the MDR in jeans and sneakers on formal nites, they were told it was quite crowded and to come back in an hour. That seemed to satisfy everyone. We did see that gentleman return and he was seated - no problem. I think given the times, with airlines charging for suitcases, staying before or after your cruise in one city or another and trying to make the most of packing what your can, the cruiselines are easing up on tuxedos and gowns. Some people love to get dressed formal while to others it's not their cup of tea. No matter what, everyone should try and understand that maybe that person did not have room or would rather spend the money on a tour instead of a tux/gown rental. Who is to say if you don't dress up then stay home, isn't it everyone's right to chose what is best for themselves.

BTW, yes this was a Princess Cruise and no one seemed upset as to how people were or weren't dressed.

It sounds as though they were just crowded & having them return in an hour or so had nothing to do with the fact they were wearing jeans. Most of the ships we've been on in the last few years have relaxed their dress requirements but I still haven't seen jeans on formal nights. (but I'll keep on looking)

I will be cruising on the Ruby in the near future. I will be dressed in a dark suite on the formal nights. I have been on a 1/2 dozen cruises and have found that most of the passengers are dressed up for formal night.:cool:

I will be cruising on the Ruby in the near future. I will be dressed in a dark suite on the formal nights. I have been on a 1/2 dozen cruises and have found that most of the passengers are dressed up for formal night.:cool:

over 300 days on Princess and my observation is the same. Lots of tuxes and dark suits.

over 300 days on Princess and my observation is the same. Lots of tuxes and dark suits.

I'm not up to 300 days yet, next cruise will put me at about 95 days on Princess. While the majority are in suits or tuxes on formal night, there's always a small group (myself and my wife included) that are in dress slacks and a dress shirt for me and dress slacks and a blouse for my wife. Sometimes there's a tie around my neck, I usually choose not to wear one. Those of us "ruining the meal" by not dressing to the nines are usually somewhere around the 5-10% range by my experience. So yes, it is a small crowd but I'd bet it would be higher if people knew that Princess very rarely enforces this policy as long as some effort is made.

And Careg, to answer your comment from earlier in the thread, I don't dress down to get a rise out of other cruisers. I wear what I choose because it's the dressiest choice that I'm comfortable in and it's what Princess has determined is acceptable (since I've never been refused seating on even one formal night while always wearing the same type of attire).

And Careg, to answer your comment from earlier in the thread, I don't dress down to get a rise out of other cruisers. I wear what I choose because it's the dressiest choice that I'm comfortable in and it's what Princess has determined is acceptable (since I've never been refused seating on even one formal night while always wearing the same type of attire).

...and apparently like pushing the envelope, because it IS breaking the rules whether enforced or not.:rolleyes:

...and apparently like pushing the envelope, because it IS breaking the rules whether enforced or not.:rolleyes:

So is bringing alcohol onboard in any form other than bottles of wine or champagne. Where's the outrage on this board for people breaking that rule? These two thread topics come up regularly and for the most part the same people complaining about people breaking the dress policy are the ones encouraging people to bring their beer and liquor onboard. If you're going to complain about one policy being violated then you have no right to encourage a different policy violation solely because that particular one benefits you. Either all policies onboard are enforced or none are, no exceptions.

Agreed, but from what I have observed on Princess it is more like in the 1% range and they do stick out like the proverbial "sore thumb". We sat next to one and he was boasting how he used the "lost my luggage" trick while at the same time saying he just refuses to wear a suit and tie.

So is bringing alcohol onboard in any form other than bottles of wine or champagne. Where's the outrage on this board for people breaking that rule? These two thread topics come up regularly and for the most part the same people complaining about people breaking the dress policy are the ones encouraging people to bring their beer and liquor onboard. If you're going to complain about one policy being violated then you have no right to encourage a different policy violation solely because that particular one benefits you. Either all policies onboard are enforced or none are, no exceptions.

Yes...they're pushing the envelope too. Who are YOU referring to when you say YOU? It's merely observation... both are pushing the envelope, breaking the rule....when smuggling booze or not being formal on formal nights in the TD or ATD restaurants.

I hardly consider it breaking "the rules" when it makes a vacation all that much more enjoyable & easier to pack for. It takes nothing form those that want to go all out & dress up while still providing a nice atmosphere to dine in. If you were at home at a real nice restaurant certainly not everyone would be dressed the same. It's no different on a cruise ship.

I'm not up to 300 days yet, next cruise will put me at about 95 days on Princess. While the majority are in suits or tuxes on formal night, there's always a small group (myself and my wife included) that are in dress slacks and a dress shirt for me and dress slacks and a blouse for my wife. Sometimes there's a tie around my neck, I usually choose not to wear one. Those of us "ruining the meal" by not dressing to the nines are usually somewhere around the 5-10% range by my experience. So yes, it is a small crowd but I'd bet it would be higher if people knew that Princess very rarely enforces this policy as long as some effort is made.

That's a very true statement for sure. I've noticed on many cruises that the number of people dressing real formally drops noticeably on the succeeding evenings & especially after dinner as they see more people getting rid of the stuffy clothing for the shows.

cruiseron36;26198630 Agreed, but from what I have observed on Princess it is more like in the 1% range and they do stick out like the proverbial "sore thumb". We sat next to one and he was boasting how he used the "lost my luggage" trick while at the same time saying he just refuses to wear a suit and tie.

You do realize that 1% would be only a grand total of less than 3 men in the entire main dining room right? I have yet to ever be on a Princess ship where there weren't at least 10 men in the traditional dining room that weren't in exact compliance with the dress suggestions (and yes, I look that closely every time on formal nights). In the anytime dining rooms it would only take 2 men in less than suits to make up about 5% of the population dining there at any given time. I've never bothered to use the lost luggage excuse because not a single maitre d' has ever said a word to me and neither has any other cruise passenger. It's only people here that care what someone else is wearing for the most part.

Yes...they're pushing the envelope too. Who are YOU referring to when you say YOU? It's merely observation... both are pushing the envelope, breaking the rule....when smuggling booze or not being formal on formal nights in the TD or ATD restaurants.

It's a generic you, try reading the statement again and you'll (not a generic you this time) get an understanding of the context. So again, both examples are breaking the policies set forth by Princess, where is the community outrage against alcohol smugglers on this board? There isn't any, it's overwhemingly supported because people see that as a benefit for themselves instead of a nuisance to their travel experience.

Archived