Maasdam August 21 and August 28, 2010 - Hurricane Earl Cruise - Warning - Very Long

sail7seas

Sail, your timing couldn't be better to whet our appetite for our October 9 repo sail! Thanks so much for your report.

I too would appreciate restaurant suggestions at any of the ports, including Bar Harbor, Quebec City and Montreal! Our excursions are set, but not the meals....

Oooh, I HATE to recommend restaurants and go to all extremes to avoid doing so. Sorry. Food is so subjective I'd hate to send folks somewhere and have them not enjoy it. Especially when I don't even know them or their tastes.

Thank you for a great trip review. We too love Maasdam but have never sailed this itinerary. It would be nice though as Boston isn't that far from us and to see some of our own country via cruising.

I just have to make a comment about your comment regarding the weather "this far north". As I am a Canadian from Ontario, this weather of hot, sunny days and even high humidity is not uncommon in the summer and fall. We have many hot summers and this summer was especially warm in August. In S. Ontario we reached 33 C which is over 90 F with humidity factors of up to 40C or over 100F. It never ceases to amaze me that there are still people who believe we live in the "frozen north" all year round.

You live in what we Maritimers refer to as the "Banana Belt" -----hot hot hot in the summer. Sail is quite right in saying that hoodies are often needed in coastal areas even in July and August. Inland can be very hot in the Maritimes but the coastal areas have weather all over the place.

On Canada Day here in Saint John we can be complaining of the heat all day and then bundle up in sweaters and heavy jackets to watch the fireworks over the harbour in the evening.

I always advise people coming up this way on a cruise to be prepared to layer their clothing. You can start the day off in a cold damp fog and by noon when the fog burns off you can be sweltering.

Also, in the Bay of Fundy area, even if we are having temps in the 80's on land, it will be cold at sea. We bundle up to do salt water sailing around here. While sailing in the river system, just a few miles away we can sail in bathing suits and swim over the side.

Sail,

Thanks for the review. We've sailed Maasdam twice a few years ago, and just booked her again for Feb. 2012. It will be nice to see her again.

But, before then, we are due to visit Halifax next summer on Eurodam. Would love to know the name of your lobster 'eatery' if you would like to share!:D We were there last year and enjoyed walking around, but did not stay ashore for lunch; maybe I can correct that next time.

Dave

Hi Dave---nice to see you still posting---say hi to Mrs Dave for me.

Our favourite place for seafood on the Halifax waterfront is Salty's---an easy walk from the pier----up past the Maritime Museum and almost to the Marriott Hotel. You can eat while watching the activity in the harbour. Don't have your dessert there though-----step outside and go next door to the Cows ice cream stand and have a big cone.

Sail, your timing couldn't be better to whet our appetite for our October 9 repo sail! Thanks so much for your report.

I too would appreciate restaurant suggestions at any of the ports, including Bar Harbor, Quebec City and Montreal! Our excursions are set, but not the meals....

In Quebec City we loved Aux Anciens Canadiens

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/north-america/canada/quebec/quebec-city/32945/aux-anciens-canadiens/restaurant-detail.html

One of our best restaurant experiences while travelling but be prepared to take out a bank loan:)

It is advisable to have a reservation because it is wildly popular.

Oooh, I HATE to recommend restaurants and go to all extremes to avoid doing so. Sorry. Food is so subjective I'd hate to send folks somewhere and have them not enjoy it. Especially when I don't even know them or their tastes.

In an earlier post you said you would " dig out those papers and the names of the restaurants". Why not, if someone is interested in a recommmendation it is certainly not your responsibility whether or not they wind up liking the restaurant!:rolleyes:

Hi Dave---nice to see you still posting---say hi to Mrs Dave for me.

Our favourite place for seafood on the Halifax waterfront is Salty's---an easy walk from the pier----up past the Maritime Museum and almost to the Marriott Hotel. You can eat while watching the activity in the harbour. Don't have your dessert there though-----step outside and go next door to the Cows ice cream stand and have a big cone.

Seeing as Sapper named it, I will second her suggestion and say Salty's is very, very good. DH had a 2 pound steamed lobster with sides and I had ciopinno that was loaded with wonderful fish and also with side dish. DH had a beer and a soft drink. Really delicious lunch and our bill was about $125. Neither of us had dessert this year but in previous years, we've lunched with others and around the table one person had apple crisp, another blueberry buckle and I forget what else. All were served with ice cream and they said they were absolutely luscious. I didn't have any but saw it was huge portions they all finished. :)

In an earlier post you said you would " dig out those papers and the names of the restaurants". Why not, if someone is interested in a recommmendation it is certainly not your responsibility whether or not they wind up liking the restaurant!:rolleyes:

I've been around here long enough to have learned people have all different price ranges, all different tastes, allergies, and ways they want their food prepared. I would hate to recommend a restaurant where a couple could be spending $100 or even more for lunch and they didn't like it. I don't know most of the people here so how could I begin to know how someone I've never met who lives in Kansas would like a whole steamed lobster? They may never have eaten in their lives. Maybe what we ate is the 'house specialty' such as steamed mussels or fried clams and folks from Minnesota may think it not at all to their taste.

Don't want them resenting I cost them a lot of money for a lunch they didn't like.

Rolling eyes at me doesn't make me more apt to want to 'go there'.

Please help me find some of your reviews. I'd enjoy reading the different styles as to the info you share vs what I choose to share. No review I ever write will include everything that I learned, saw, heard or did during our vacation. I'd love to see how you approach it.

Thanks.

Seeing as Sapper named it, I will second her suggestion and say Salty's is very, very good. DH had a 2 pound steamed lobster with sides and I had ciopinno that was loaded with wonderful fish and also with side dish. DH had a beer and a soft drink. Really delicious lunch and our bill was about $125. Neither of us had dessert this year but in previous years, we've lunched with others and around the table one person had apple crisp, another blueberry buckle and I forget what else. All were served with ice cream and they said they were absolutely luscious. I didn't have any but saw it was huge portions they all finished. :)

I've been around here long enough to have learned people have all different price ranges, all different tastes, allergies, and ways they want their food prepared. I would hate to recommend a restaurant where a couple could be spending $100 or even more for lunch and they didn't like it. I don't know most of the people here so how could I begin to know how someone I've never met who lives in Kansas would like a whole steamed lobster? They may never have eaten in their lives. Maybe what we ate is the 'house specialty' such as steamed mussels or fried clams and folks from Minnesota may think it not at all to their taste.

Don't want them resenting I cost them a lot of money for a lunch they didn't like.

Rolling eyes at me doesn't make me more apt to want to 'go there'.

Please help me find some of your reviews. I'd enjoy reading the different styles as to the info you share vs what I choose to share. No review I ever write will include everything that I learned, saw, heard or did during our vacation. I'd love to see how you approach it.

Thanks.

I did not know that the smiley I used in my response meant "rolling eyes". That was not my intention. I was simply asking why you had changed your mind in providing the names of the restaurants you had mentioned. I enjoyed your review and find much of the information you provide here on the boards to be very informative. As a matter of fact you were one of the first people to respond to my first review of my first cruise on HAL on the Noordam.

I understand your response as to why you decided not to give the names of the restaurants and I think it is a shame that you have come to feel so defensive. I guess you have taken your share of flaming but really....how can someone who asks for a recommendation on cc resent YOU if they don't like it?

Sail, I feel exactly the same way about recommending places; even if a place is great, it can have an off day, or not be to someone else's liking. Good example: I love mussels, but the little French mussels, not the big Canadian mussels (feel free to jump on me if I'm wrong about this info), so Canadian mussels would disappoint me. I do, however, usually use reviews or recommendations to make my choices. As with a movie, I may not always agree, but I feel like at least I've made an attempt to make an informed decision (which usually includes price/value, as well).

That said, thanks to both of you for the Salty's info: I adore cioppino and my mouth is watering already.

And thanks, Sapper1, for Aux Anciens Canadiens. For some reason that rings a bell. I'll look it up.

I do the best I can here. I offer what info I feel good offering and hope it is helpful in some small way. I enjoy CC and for me, the next best thing to cruising HAL ships is talking about them.

Yes, I most certainly have had my share of flaming. There are days no matter what one says someone is not going to like it. :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...
Had a great time and pleasant walk back past the Maritime Museum. Maasdam docked port to the dock which was fun as we got to listen to the pipers when we arrived in the morning. I still miss the Town Crier who used to read Proclamation of Welcome but he is gone now two years.

Sail,

Our first cruise was on the Maasdam Sept 11, 2004. I wonder if you and your DH were two of the lovely people we met on that cruise that made such a lovely impression on us! We danced every evening in the Ocean View, sometimes before and after dinner.

We were in OV526 and our window faced the pier. We woke to the sounds of the pipes and the town crier.

Your review was delightful to read and reminded me of many of the pleasures I had not thought about for some time. Thanks.

Hi MAPC,

Happy you enjoyed the reivew. I enjoyed writing it. :)

I checked our cruise history and find we were not on your cruise but can hope perhaps we'll sail together in the future.

imagine the gall of it:eek:

not "digging through papers" to post the name of a restaurant ..

you just can't trust anyone anymore can you:rolleyes:

ok S7S .. atone for your behavior .. how bout sharing you PIN:D:D

[quote name='Sea King']imagine the gall of it:eek:

not "digging through papers" to post the name of a restaurant ..

you just can't trust anyone anymore can you:rolleyes:

ok S7S .. atone for your behavior .. how bout sharing you PIN:D[/quote]

[B]Share my PIN???? NEVER!!! Nope, no way. :D PIN is stored under lock and key and needs a code to open! :) ......along with a special bag, as well. ;)[/B]

Archived