Celebrity and potty training issues

atwinhusen

We are considering a celebrity cruise with our then to be 31/2 year old. Age wise, he is old enough to participate in kids club, but he is not potty trained. Does anyone know if they would let him participate if we were paged to come change him if needed? At least at dinner maybe? We would be traveling during off season for school kids.

Thanks for any comments or thoughts!

My son just turned 3.5 so I understand the importance of adult dinners. :-) My understanding from the research I've done is that they will not page you just to change him. I believe that I read here that they would let a parent stay with the child in the playroom, but that you could not leave the child unless they were potty trained. I've sailed Celebrity and loved it, but before my son was potty trained we stuck with Carnival so we could enjoy some adult time without worrying about being paged for a diaper change.

No, they will not give you a pager and let you come change him. Celebrity's rule is that a child must be fully potty trained, out of diapers and pullups, and needing no help with undressing/dressing. According to the website, he will be able to participate in certain activities only as long as a parent (or other adult, I assume) remains with him. In case you aren't aware, he also will not be allowed in any of the pools unless he is completely potty trained; swim diapers are not allowed per CDC and health regulations because of the different nature of cruise ship pools (size and water treatment).

In any case, they do have in-cabin babysitting for children 1 year and older, but you have to arrange it a bit in advance and there is no guarantee of availability.

Here's a link to the information and requirements:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do?pagename=childrens_programs#toddler

Have you started the potty training process? As much as I'm not one to say "bribe children to do things," you might want to use this as an inducement such as "only big boys can swim in the pool," etc. Of course including how proud you are of him becoming a big boy--not making the whole thing feel like you're saying he's still a baby or anything like that.

beachchick

Archived