Photographs to DVD

Gugi

Can anyone advise me if there is a facility for me to convert my photographs taken on digital camera to DVD on board ship?

There is no access to imaging software, so I can't see the point for long term storage - but as to the answer I'm afraid I don't know.......

William I might have misinterpreted your answer but I would recommend regular backups of images from one's camera. Personally I would put the images on a USB memory stick or a laptop rather than a DVD but it is the backing-up of the data that is the important point. All you need is an SD reader and Windows Explorer (and of course a USB stick).

I automatically assume that I am going to lose my camera tomorrow so I ensure that I regularly backup the images during a voyage. You can replace the camera but not the images that were on it.

Can anyone advise me if there is a facility for me to convert my photographs taken on digital camera to DVD on board ship?

Hi Gugi. On QM2, I remember seeing a sign (last year?) in Images Photo Shop (Deck 3, C Stairway) that read "Convert your digital photos to DVD". But I didn't enquire, so I don't know if that meant they did the conversions there, or if they were selling the equipment needed for such conversions. Sorry, I know that's not much help, but perhaps others here have more info, or you might ask shoreside. BTW, you might want to add to your post which ship you're asking about since the facilities might differ.

Cheers,

Salacia

Hi Gugi. On QM2, I remember seeing a sign (last year?) in Images Photo Shop (Deck 3, C Stairway) that read "Convert your digital photos to DVD". But I didn't enquire, so I don't know if that meant they did the conversions there, or if they were selling the equipment needed for such conversions. Sorry, I know that's not much help, but perhaps others here have more info, or you might ask shoreside. BTW, you might want to add to your post which ship you're asking about since the facilities might differ.

Cheers,

Salacia

On our last voyage on QM2 the photo shop would convert your digital photos from your memory card to a DVD for a cost. I do not know what the cost is.

I don't know the answer to your question in terms of "can it be done onboard" -- but there is another aspect to consider. Friends of ours did a cruise on a Princess ship and had their photos put onto a DVD --- expecting that when they came home they would be simply be able to put their DVD into a DVD player connected to a TV and see the pictures. NOT SO!!!! There are 2 ways you can place images on a DVD - one is to simply save them on the DVD in the same way that you save images to a CD using standard Windows functions -- this requires you to view them through a computer at home. There is another way whereby a software programme firstly converts the images to a format that is "viewable" on a TV via a DVD. I use both methods when onboard - I save/backup the photos to DVD for security purposes - and then when I get home, I create a (hopefully) interesting video on a DVD with added music, audio comments, text, etc which is then viewable directly on the TV.

Barry

William I might have misinterpreted your answer but I would recommend regular backups of images from one's camera. Personally I would put the images on a USB memory stick or a laptop rather than a DVD but it is the backing-up of the data that is the important point. All you need is an SD reader and Windows Explorer (and of course a USB stick).

I automatically assume that I am going to lose my camera tomorrow so I ensure that I regularly backup the images during a voyage. You can replace the camera but not the images that were on it.

That's a good point. But I always have my computer with me to do this, which is probably why transferring to DVD for this end hadn't occurred to me.

But you are absolutely right.

Unfortunatly due to weight restrictions I don't think we will have that facility but we would like to download photographs from time to time. It's a long cruise from Southampton to Sydney and we hope to have many happy memories of our trip of a life-time:)

Back in May 2009 on QM2 I had some photographs copied onto a DVD as a gift for table companions without a camera. The Photo Shop onboard charged a flat fee of $14.95. This fee may have changed, but I seem to remember that the service was still offered this past June.

Gugi

You did not say when you will be on QM2. If you can wait until I am back (2 Oct) then I will check for you whether there is a cheap (preferably free) way to copy files from an SD card to a USB memory stick, i.e. that the Connextions computers have a SD card reader attached.

If the Connextions computers do not have a SD card reader then you can buy a USB SD card reader. Plug that in (with your USB memory stick) and you can transfer the files. [i am assuming that Cunard allow you to plug USB devices into their computers. Obviously I will find that out on my voyage unless someone knows the answer to that now.]

Of course during your long voyage I am sure that you will meet someone with a laptop with them. That laptop is almost certainly going to have an SD card reader in it. If so then why not ask to borrow the laptop every few days, insert the SD card and a USB memory stick and copy the files onto your USB memory stick.

Obviously do a few rehearsals at home before you go so that you are fully familar with how to copy the files.

I will repeat my earlier email, you must backup the data at least every few days, if not daily. And as others have said you can deal with creating a nice presentation to watch on TV after you have got back. Do not waste time attempting to do that during the voyage.

Gugi

You did not say when you will be on QM2. If you can wait until I am back (2 Oct) then I will check for you whether there is a cheap (preferably free) way to copy files from an SD card to a USB memory stick, i.e. that the Connextions computers have a SD card reader attached.

If the Connextions computers do not have a SD card reader then you can buy a USB SD card reader. Plug that in (with your USB memory stick) and you can transfer the files. [I am assuming that Cunard allow you to plug USB devices into their computers. Obviously I will find that out on my voyage unless someone knows the answer to that now.]

Of course during your long voyage I am sure that you will meet someone with a laptop with them. That laptop is almost certainly going to have an SD card reader in it. If so then why not ask to borrow the laptop every few days, insert the SD card and a USB memory stick and copy the files onto your USB memory stick.

Obviously do a few rehearsals at home before you go so that you are fully familar with how to copy the files.

I will repeat my earlier email, you must backup the data at least every few days, if not daily. And as others have said you can deal with creating a nice presentation to watch on TV after you have got back. Do not waste time attempting to do that during the voyage.

They don't--I asked...

There is an alternative - that is just a little bit riskier. Take a number of SD memory cards - and simply put in a new one whenever you feel that you have enough stored on the one being currently used and don't want to risk it any longer. Of course, this is not a good alternative if you were wanting to "backup" every couple of days. Laptops with CD burners are also reasonably cheap these days :p

Barry

There is an alternative - that is just a little bit riskier. Take a number of SD memory cards - and simply put in a new one whenever you feel that you have enough stored on the one being currently used and don't want to risk it any longer. Of course, this is not a good alternative if you were wanting to "backup" every couple of days. Laptops with CD burners are also reasonably cheap these days :p

Barry

Yes that is another option.

I do not quite see why you need a CD burner. The problem was that Gugi was not prepared to take a laptop because of weight restrictions. If Gugi were to take a laptop then the data can be backed up onto its hard disk (possibly with a second backup onto a USB memory stick). Backing up to a CD or DVD is relatively slow and less reliable.

In theory it should be possible to buy a lightweight device that merely copies the files across from the camera (or SD card) to another storage medium.

Not just in theory, but in practice. Take a look at this link to B and H Photo for "Stand Alone Data Storage"

These are specialized, single purpose devices. The cost is comparable to a netbook or laptop.

I'm bringing my laptop [MacBook] and a small external drive for 'Time Machine' backups.

Im also bringing several SDHC cards. I'll flip the write protect switch on each card once it's full, and put it in an antistatic bag.

Thank you all for taking time to answer my question. Now is confession time. I am an OAP with limited computer skills and that is why I thought it would be easier for me to transfer my photographs to DVD. However I didn't realise that I could only watch the DVD on the computer. I will take numerous cards with me but I will also try to find the software which makes DVDs to watch on TV. I am certain that my friends will want to be bored to death when I show them photographs of our trip.:)

Archived