Detailed map of Santorini

shel003

I've been searching everywhere for a detailed map of Fira and/or Oia that lists streets and important tourist information (ie. bus stops, popular sites etc). Google maps does not provide this information. Does anyone know of any maps that fit this description? I leave on September 22nd and am hoping to have this ahead of time. Thanks!

We tendered at Santorini in July on the Norwegian Gem. I am so glad that I took one of the NCL excursions (Oia and the Winery). First, you leave on the early tenders, and second you get to see most of the island. Try doing it on your own and you will kill much time at Fira getting up on the cable car or donkeys. Don't miss going to Oia. Sure you can take the bus from Fira, but from others that did not take an excursion, they spent so much time figuring out what to do that they never left Fira. Sure, Fira is pretty cool, but you don't want to miss Oia, or even more of the island.

Perhaps it depends on how long you're in port. We arrived for four hours on the Aquamarine. We were off on the first tender and took the Donkeys right up (now there's an adventure!). But we didn't have near enough time there before we had to head back down (with no waits for the cable car). I can't imagine trying to fit in Oia as well. I don't even really feel like I had a chance to see Fira. We took a lot of pictures and shopped for some minor souvenirs, but we didn't even have time to sit down for a drink.

I will be on the Princess cruiseline and we are scheduled to be in port from 7 am to 6 pm. I'm hoping that this will be enough time to see a little bit of both. For those who have been here before does that sound doable?

We tendered ashore at 9 and took the cable car up to Fira. Made our way to the bus station and took the 10:00 bus to Oia. Took the return bus back to Fira at 11:35 and had lunch.

Took the stairs down to the old port (dodging donkey dung all the way!) and were back on the ship by 14:15.

This was on November 3, 2006. We were on a big cruise ship and we may have been the only ship in Santorini that day so your experience may vary.

When we went to Santorini we paid a taxi to stay with us all day. It actually was a lot less expensive that we thought and our cab driver was fantastic. After taking the tender and getting on the gondola to take you to the top of the hill, look for a taxi. You can bargain with them and tell them you want them for the day. Our taxi driver took us to Oia (A MUST SEE!!) and then drove us all around the island. He even took us to a couple of nice small family vineyards. Places only the locals know. We had my in-laws with us and had the best time.

Santorini is probably the most beautiful place we've visited and we've been to lots of places in Europe and Africa. The shops in Santorini are so cute and they will bargain with you.

Have a great trip :)

Smart-Travelers

http://www.*****

• 1 month later...

Archived