Sat TV reception QM2

hcrane

I will be taking the 1NOV eastbound TA on QM2 and would be most grateful if someone onboard could let me know how long CNN reception is available. The only US news outlet mid ocean is not known for its impartiality in its coverage.

Thanks in advance

Crane

I will be taking the 1NOV eastbound TA on QM2 and would be most grateful if someone onboard could let me know how long CNN reception is available. The only US news outlet mid ocean is not known for its impartiality in its coverage.

Thanks in advance

Crane

I think the news coverage is FOX and BBC - I don't remeber CNN being available anymore. The reception does fade a bit mid-Atlantic.

No CNN - there was BBC World News, Sky News, MSNBC, CNBC, and Fox News.

Thanks for the update - would be great to hear a report of news channels available on QM2 on 15SEP10 eastbound (assuming QM2 gets out of NYC tonight)

Crane

You seem to imply that the ultra-liberal CNN is impartial in it's coverage. Very funny!

Even funnier is calling CNN ultra-liberal:D However, if you were to say that CNN's news coverage has gone downhill in recent years, on that I would agree.

Are you lot joking or what!

You are on Queen Mary 2 on a crossing and want to keep up with news.

My god, as l have said before, standards are indeed dropping.

Judy

Hi MsDeva. I happened to mention to a friend in the Journalism business that I was flumoxed to find that on several occasions during QM2 Caribbean voyages CNN was sporatically unavailabe, while Fox was available. He explained that the reason for this was due to Fox (Sky News) having more satellites, providing better transmission coverage. Of course, there are many atmospheric condititons that affect satellite transmissions adding to the difficulties in transmission and reception, especially at sea.

Anyway, if that is true, perhaps the problem likes not with the ship.

However, if other ships following similar routes do no have these limitations in coverage, Cunard would do well to advance their satillite reception capability. Perhaps those who have sailed on other ships would comment on this issue by way of comparison?

Cheers,

Salacia

What on earth has the occasional foray into the world of current affairs got to do with 'dropping standards'?

Mary

Nothing at all Mary and l apologise for my comments, l didn't mean to offend here. I just feel that once on board one can leave the world behind for a wee while and concentrate on enjoying a relaxing time without world news, which l find rather depressing these days.

Judy

Hi MsDeva. I happened to mention to a friend in the Journalism business that I was flumoxed to find that on several occasions during QM2 Caribbean voyages CNN was sporatically unavailabe, while Fox was available. He explained that the reason for this was due to Fox (Sky News) having more satellites, providing better transmission coverage. Of course, there are many atmospheric condititons that affect satellite transmissions adding to the difficulties in transmission and reception, especially at sea.

Anyway, if that is true, perhaps the problem likes not with the ship.

However, if other ships following similar routes do no have these limitations in coverage, Cunard would do well to advance their satillite reception capability. Perhaps those who have sailed on other ships would comment on this issue by way of comparison?

Cheers,

Salacia

Hello Salacia,

Your comments are really appreciated here and l can quite understand that some folk on board do need to keep up with current affairs.

However, when my DH and l go cruising we do rather tend to shut the world out for the duration.

I suppose it really is each to their own.

Judy

Oh sorry, Ms. Deva. I misunderstood your comment to mean that the sometimes lack of broadcast news coverage was indicative of a drop in Cunard standards. But if I now understand correctly, your position is that following the news while on board is a drop in passenger standards.

Interesting.

Look. There is the BBC. And there is the rest.

Clearly anything from Murdoch is appalling. But I have yet to see US news that is anything other than appallingly sketchy and reactionary.

What do educated Americans do for TV news? I mean - there are plenty of you out there - so what is the answer?

Oh sorry, Ms. Deva. I misunderstood your comment to mean that the sometimes lack of broadcast news coverage was indicative of a drop in Cunard standards. But if I now understand correctly, your position is that following the news while on board is a drop in passenger standards.

Interesting.

My sincere apologies to you Salacia. I meant no ill will whatsoever.

Thank You

Judy

Look. There is the BBC. And there is the rest.

Clearly anything from Murdoch is appalling. But I have yet to see US news that is anything other than appallingly sketchy and reactionary.

What do educated Americans do for TV news? I mean - there are plenty of you out there - so what is the answer?

My personal preference is to read the New York Times daily. I watch local news broadcast on a local cable station. I also watch various cable news networks for International News, but BBC is not on my cable line-up. However, on-line news from Google provides coverage from various sources around the world, including the BBC.

I believe many US broadcast news networks have different programming that is received by International viewers, i.e. CNN International. I'm sorry you find "appallingly sketcy and reactionary" whatever US news your are reading or watching. Happily you have alternatives which you apparently consider superior.

Cheers,

Salacia

Oh, no problem Ms. Deva. I understand the benefit of "unplugging" from the news during a voyage. Because so little news is available on board, even the most die hard news junkies like myself find ourselves taking a mini-break from current events. Suprisingly enough, the world seems to go and we might all live a little longer for having less stress albeit for only a short time.

Cheers,

Salacia

I'm sorry you find "appallingly sketcy and reactionary" whatever US news your are reading or watching. Happily you have alternatives which you apparently consider superior.

Cheers,

Salacia

Indeed. I'm referring to television.

Although I have to add, on further reflection, that we have some dreadful news channels too!!

Archived