14 Day Alaska Itinerary feedback

califgary

Here's my spiel: My sister and I did the 14-day Alaska itinerary on the Amsterdam this year in May. We enjoyed it so much we've booked another 14-day for next year, May 27-June 10, 2011. We live in Seattle and love Alaska so this is a no-brainer for us. We go for the spectacular scenery and the prolific wildlife. We also enjoy the less touristy towns on this itinerary, although not everyone feels that way. My sister is an avid amateur photographer and Alaska is her "nirvana". I love spending as much time on deck with my binoculars as possible. One week in Alaska goes by in a blink, two weeks is wonderful. Three would be perfect:D. On our 14-day cruise this year, we met very interesting people from all over the world, from South Africa to South America and many points in-between. A much more international mix than on the 7-day itineraries. I really enjoyed that.

If there's anything specifically you would like to know, please ask and I'll try my best to answer:)

PS We also enjoyed the Amsterdam very much. She's an R-class vessel, which are my personal favorites in the HAL fleet (so far). Looking forward to the same cabin next year as we had this year :-)

Does anyone know if the 2011 is likely to get Glacier Bay NP added to it? It is the only thing that I hope changes about this cruise...

That would be nice wouldnt it? Somewhere in my memory I remember someone saying that they actuall changed 2010 to Glacer Bay kind of at the last minute - wonder if the same will happen for us?

thanks yes lets keep in touch as info may become available to share. I know the 2011 itinerary is a little different than 2010 wondering if they may change it or keep it??? At least this way it will have a new stop for you! thanks

Right now, the 2011 differs from the 2010 itinerary in that the Amsterdam is scheduled to go to Tracy Arm and Icy Strait Point, plus spend all day in Victoria, B.C. This year's itineraries also originally said "Tracy Arm" and were then later changed to Glacier Bay. We'll see if that happens next year too. I'm happy with either choice, as I've seen Glacier Bay several times, by never yet Tracy Arm. Of course, Glacier Bay would be the venue of choice for most cruisers.

Feel free to pop into our roll call throughout the next 8 months if you have any questions. HAL Amsterdam - May 27, 2011 14-day Alaskan Adventurer

Right now, the 2011 differs from the 2010 itinerary in that the Amsterdam is scheduled to go to Tracy Arm and Icy Strait Point, plus spend all day in Victoria, B.C. This year's itineraries also originally said "Tracy Arm" and were then later changed to Glacier Bay. We'll see if that happens next year too. I'm happy with either choice, as I've seen Glacier Bay several times, by never yet Tracy Arm. Of course, Glacier Bay would be the venue of choice for most cruisers.

Feel free to pop into our roll call throughout the next 8 months if you have any questions. HAL Amsterdam - May 27, 2011 14-day Alaskan Adventurer

Ive started one for our trip but no-one has answered yet!

We recently booked this sailing for July 8th and am excited to share the beauty and wonder of Alaska with my children, who will be 11 and 13 at the time of cruise.

I can see that I will need all the help I can get planning excursions so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, did you see many kids on board. I expect that there will be a little more than a handful, just enough for my kids to make a friend or two.

We recently booked this sailing for July 8th and am excited to share the beauty and wonder of Alaska with my children, who will be 11 and 13 at the time of cruise.

I can see that I will need all the help I can get planning excursions so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, did you see many kids on board. I expect that there will be a little more than a handful, just enough for my kids to make a friend or two.

There will be some kids on your cruise, because of summer vacation, and Club HAL will be operating. You can call ship services prior to departure and ask them to give you the numbers of kids onboard. They break it down by age group. From North America the number is 1 800 541 1576.

I do a combo of ship's excursions and independent excursions. The Alaska forum, as you probably know, is an excellent resource here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Now that the inaugural 14 alaska adventure is almot wrapping up how about some thioughts from those of you that went? We're hoping this was a very good itinerary - any feedback good/bad appreciated!

thanks

Of the stops:

Homer - great place - loved the museum. In hindsight, wouldn't take the HO-HO bus, but rather either take a taxi, and go to the Pratt Museum and then catch a second Taxi to the National Wildlife Reserve Visitors Centre and then a third taxi back to the ship (and then take the free bus over to the Salty Dog). We also saw one of the gift shops in town offering a free shuttle into town too. The three taxi rides wouldn't likely equal $15.00 (the cost of the shuttle). Length of time - about right.

Anchorage. The city itself is nothing really to write home about - we rented a car (had to take a taxi into the city as the free shuttle didn't start early enough) and went south to the Portage glacier, had lunch at the top of the Alyeska resort- had a great lift ticket and lunch combo and then stopped in at Potter Marsh and the float plane base at the lake and then returned the car, looked around town and took the shuttle back to the ship. Lenght of time - about right.

Kodiak - lovely little town, unfortunately, we were there during a lovely rain storm (on 28JUN sailing). Would have liked to have had more time here - left at 1:00pm, so it wasn't enough time to justify a car rental for the day. Ships free shuttle was apparently only for those incapable of walking the 10-15 minutes into town. We took a taxi. On the return, we had the driver take us to the other side of the harbour where the 'Deadliest Catch' boats dock - except that they were out fishing.

Skagway - great town - must do - the 'full' White Pass and Yukon trip - up take the train to/from Carcross (and not Fraser), this way you'll stop at Bennett, where you'll have lunch and be able to see where the prospectors spent the winter building their boats. Only way to get to Bennett is by the train, no roads in or out. Otherwise, walked around town. Length of time - about right.

Sitka - another great town - we walked everywhere! Got tickets to the New Archangel dancers which was lovely - walked out to the Raptor centre and back through the historic park. length of time - about right.

Juneau - rented a car and did the sights - including Mendenhall Glacier - Length of time - about right.

Ketchikan - used the local bus system to go out and visit Totem Bight state park - lovely park - and then back into town - walked the rest of the town, including taking the funucular up to the Cape Fox Hotel. Length of time - about right.

Victoria - not enough time to do it justice. We walked into town (15 minutes, clearly marked with signage from the dock), and visited the Empress, Roger's chocolates and Murchies Tea (all along Government Street). After taking photos of the legislature building, we headed back to the ship (by taxi as we were all hungry by this point).

Hope this helps.

We were on the 28JUN departure this past year and there were 150 or more kids on board - Club HAL was rocking! DD was 4-and-a-half and there were plenty of kids her age on board. Lido pool always had kids in enjoying the water.

Of the stops:

Homer - great place - loved the museum. In hindsight, wouldn't take the HO-HO bus, but rather either take a taxi, and go to the Pratt Museum and then catch a second Taxi to the National Wildlife Reserve Visitors Centre and then a third taxi back to the ship (and then take the free bus over to the Salty Dog). We also saw one of the gift shops in town offering a free shuttle into town too. The three taxi rides wouldn't likely equal $15.00 (the cost of the shuttle). Length of time - about right.

Anchorage. The city itself is nothing really to write home about - we rented a car (had to take a taxi into the city as the free shuttle didn't start early enough) and went south to the Portage glacier, had lunch at the top of the Alyeska resort- had a great lift ticket and lunch combo and then stopped in at Potter Marsh and the float plane base at the lake and then returned the car, looked around town and took the shuttle back to the ship. Lenght of time - about right.

Kodiak - lovely little town, unfortunately, we were there during a lovely rain storm (on 28JUN sailing). Would have liked to have had more time here - left at 1:00pm, so it wasn't enough time to justify a car rental for the day. Ships free shuttle was apparently only for those incapable of walking the 10-15 minutes into town. We took a taxi. On the return, we had the driver take us to the other side of the harbour where the 'Deadliest Catch' boats dock - except that they were out fishing.

Skagway - great town - must do - the 'full' White Pass and Yukon trip - up take the train to/from Carcross (and not Fraser), this way you'll stop at Bennett, where you'll have lunch and be able to see where the prospectors spent the winter building their boats. Only way to get to Bennett is by the train, no roads in or out. Otherwise, walked around town. Length of time - about right.

Sitka - another great town - we walked everywhere! Got tickets to the New Archangel dancers which was lovely - walked out to the Raptor centre and back through the historic park. length of time - about right.

Juneau - rented a car and did the sights - including Mendenhall Glacier - Length of time - about right.

Ketchikan - used the local bus system to go out and visit Totem Bight state park - lovely park - and then back into town - walked the rest of the town, including taking the funucular up to the Cape Fox Hotel. Length of time - about right.

Victoria - not enough time to do it justice. We walked into town (15 minutes, clearly marked with signage from the dock), and visited the Empress, Roger's chocolates and Murchies Tea (all along Government Street). After taking photos of the legislature building, we headed back to the ship (by taxi as we were all hungry by this point).

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your great ideas. They were very helpful!

Archived