Cruising on the Dream in 7 weeks and I lost my job..

ThisFemmeKat

OP,

Here's our story......

I lost my job of 13 years one week before we got married (downsizing) My wife had just quit her job to move up to where I live. Luckily our Honeymoon Cruise (our first cruise) was paid for. I can't remember what we used for cash on the trip, probably credit, but we had a great time. Then we buckled down and spent the first 6 months of our marriage job hunting and here we are 10 years and 10 cruises later. Everything worked out. Have a great cruise and keep your chin up!

I don't see any reason why the OP should lose 50% percent of his money just to get 50% back. The cruise is paid for, so why not refuel with a vacation, and then get on the job hunt when he returns. However, I do think he should cancel the next years cruise.

Little Divi Bay Beach Resort is just around the corner by cab. Cost zero to use the beach because they are public. Great beach and views!

http://www.diviresorts.com/DiviLittleBay/index.html

LibertyoftheSeas068.jpg

During a storm

LibertyoftheSeas064.jpg

The ship from the beach

LibertyoftheSeas077.jpg

Sorry about this but I am going to be the naysayer in the group I guess. Since you don't cruise until November you can still get at least 50% of your cruise price back. If it were me and I had no job or money I would cancel and use the money to pay my bills. Cruising to me is a luxury and I put my bills and food above that.

that makes perfect sense.. just so you know, my bills are paid.. we only lost my income.. which is all the extra money.. my girlfriend is still employed and makes enough to pay the household needs.. so no worries.. the bills definitely come first and are covered.. i just wont have any extra at all.. thanks for your concern. :) if it came down to that then as much as i would hate to cancel, i would have.. thanks for attempting to be my voice of reason.

I don't see any reason why the OP should lose 50% percent of his money just to get 50% back. The cruise is paid for, so why not refuel with a vacation, and then get on the job hunt when he returns. However, I do think he should cancel the next years cruise.

a couple of you mentioned next years cruise.. I have only paid the deposit so far since i never use credit.. but if I do not find work fairly quick, I will cancel.. However, I still have alot of time to decide that.. Hopefully, I'll find some work and it wont be an issue..

I love that all of the CC posters are so caring about each other.. thanks for worrying about me, friends. It means alot.

I invited alot of family on this cruise in nov and its their first cruise so I want to be sure to be able to do some things and make sure they have a great time.. your tips are helping alot.. and the pics are too..

that makes perfect sense.. just so you know, my bills are paid.. we only lost my income.. which is all the extra money.. my girlfriend is still employed and makes enough to pay the household needs.. so no worries.. the bills definitely come first and are covered.. i just wont have any extra at all.. thanks for your concern. :) if it came down to that then as much as i would hate to cancel, i would have.. thanks for attempting to be my voice of reason.

I am really happy to hear that you will be ok. It is so hard right now with a lot of people unemployed. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Worked in an industry that was forever changing with buyouts, downsizing and layoffs. Every time I was laid off I purposely found a fairly inexpensive cruise. Went primarly for the ship experience and time for total relaxation before jumping back into the job market. Most of the time I just stayed on board and enjoyed the ship to myself. If there was a cheap comuter ferry by the pier I would go for a rountrip ride. Than there's always hopping on the local public bus and riding it to view the island from the eyes of a local. To avoid spending money along the way for a cold drink, I brought a container from home and filled it up with the free lemonade/ice on board.

Sometimes just walked ( in the days before MS) around port and found a bench to sit and people watch. You'd be surprise at how man people will join you just for some conversation to pass the time away.

During the cruise instead of spending money on any alcohol, I would make certain to attend the repeat cruisers party, the captians cocktail and the art auctions all of which served some sort of free acoholic beverage.

Oh and most importantly things will work out for you. You will land another job soon.

I don't see any reason why the OP should lose 50% percent of his money just to get 50% back. The cruise is paid for, so why not refuel with a vacation, and then get on the job hunt when he returns.

I agree. Unless the OP was living paycheck to paycheck, they probably can find a way to keep the bills paid during the time between jobs. I'd guess someone living paycheck to paycheck is also not going to be going on many cruises, either.

It's important to have some savings for a situation like this. I don't blame the OP for wanting to cut back. If I had to dip into funds I worked hard to set aside for an emergency, it would be distressing, if only because I would have that much less for the next emergency. But I would not cancel a cruise for 50% refund unless I had no emergency funds at all.

Also, if flying the OP would likely lose 100% of the airfare and that can be substantial.

I agree. Unless the OP was living paycheck to paycheck, they probably can find a way to keep the bills paid during the time between jobs. I'd guess someone living paycheck to paycheck is also not going to be going on many cruises, either.

It's important to have some savings for a situation like this. I don't blame the OP for wanting to cut back. If I had to dip into funds I worked hard to set aside for an emergency, it would be distressing, if only because I would have that much less for the next emergency. But I would not cancel a cruise for 50% refund unless I had no emergency funds at all.

Also, if flying the OP would likely lose 100% of the airfare and that can be substantial.

Yes luckily we still have one income coming in.. so we are not completely desperate.. and yes i am flying and would lose that cost as well.. lucky for me none of that is going to be an issue.. but i do still need to find some work.. Im sure we will still have a great time on our trip.. :D

anymore things to do or see in st. thomas.? or any other ideas for st. maarten?

St. Thomas has a mall right where the ship docks. Town is walking distance but it is cheap to get there. Lots of shopping. Island tours are not expensive but if you are really cutting back I think you can have fun all day at those two places.

Never been to St. Maarten but I would go to the beach at the end of the runway and watch the large planes fly 50 feet above your head! I am nuts for planes.

Actually, $4.00 per person for the first two passengers in a group; $3.00 per additional passenger.

Wife and I were there just last Thursday; those were the posted rates and those were the rates we were charged.

But all in all, I agree - you can enjoy Nassau without spending a dime if that is what you want to do.

Yikes!.. Thank you for the heads up. Looks like that changed just a bit since I was there. :D

Archived