Star Panama Canal Ports

Redheel Girl

What can you fellow Cruiser tell me about the ports that the Star will dock up to. I would like to know if these ports would be people friendly where you could just get off and walk to the town or would they be more industrial like San Pedro. The Ports that the Star will be stopping at are

Acapulco

Huatulco

Puntarenas

Cartagena

Would we have to take tours or can we just do something on our own. Thank you for any information you can give me.:D:D:D

There's a ports section on these boards that has lots of information about almost all the Star ports. Also there're a bunch of other internet sites that have lots of detail if you just google [city] cruise port information or something like that. If you're sailing on November 20 out of LA, you may want to join the roll call for the cruise and there have been discussions about different ports and trips etc.

Our Panama Canal cruise stopped in Huatulco and we found it to be a lovely little port. Easy walk to shopping, nice beach and lunch. Very relaxing and laid back.

Enjoy your cruise.

totally AGREE, it was one of our FAVORITE ports:)

the beach had all kinds of sea-life right off shore, didnt even have to go out far to find it...was a GREAT day~first we took a little city tour and then spent the rest of our time at the beach!!

totally AGREE, it was one of our FAVORITE ports:)

the beach had all kinds of sea-life right off shore, didnt even have to go out far to find it...was a GREAT day~first we took a little city tour and then spent the rest of our time at the beach!!

She is not going to this port--so why post this here????????

BG

In Acapulco, it is an easy (uphill) walk to the old fort, and from there you can walk to the main part of old town easily. If you are really ambitious, you can walk to the cliff divers. If you go left when you exit the cruise terminal, you can walk to the stoplight, then about a block beyond that is the malecon where you can catch a glass bottom double decker boat for a harbor tour. Cost was 8 dollars last time I was there, and it will let you off at a beach near the harbor entrance if you want. You can catch another of the boats back to the malecon.

In Puntarenas, the pier is near several shops and stores. They usually set up a flea market just off the pier.

At all the ports, you can get a taxi to give you a tour of the area very reasonable in price. If you write down a list of the things in the ship's tours that you want to see, show it to the taxi driver and see if it is possible, then negotiate a price.

I want to thank all of you for your information. I printed it out and will use it. The directions for Acapulco are great because I have not made any tours and I think it will be great to just get off and walk. I have been to Acapulco before but not on a Ship. You CC people are great.:D

You should go see Rocky in Cagney's. We were on the Star last week and visited with him most times we were in Cagney's and he's very excited because the ship will stop in Cartagena which is his hometown. I'm sure he could give you some tips. He is very friendly.

Hikini..that is a great suggestion. Is Rocky a server at Cagneys. I always have at least one Dinner there. The last two Cruise's I had the wonderful experience of have Breakfast and Lunch. Great perk. This time so far I am a Aft Balcony.Not a bad location for my Cruise. I enjoyed your Review very much.:D

Hikini..that is a great suggestion. Is Rocky a server at Cagneys. I always have at least one Dinner there. The last two Cruise's I had the wonderful experience of have Breakfast and Lunch. Great perk. This time so far I am a Aft Balcony.Not a bad location for my Cruise. I enjoyed your Review very much.:D

Rocky is a server in Cagney's at least for breakfast and lunch. I don't know about supper. Very friendly - we talked with him a lot and he is so excited that the Star will be going to Cartagena twice in the near future. We even spoke Spanish with him and he loved it. I don't speak it fluently but enough to have a conversation.....with a few mispronounced words I'm sure!

Archived