Is there any problem with wearing a proper skean dhu onboard ship?

Gugi

There are people other than Scotsman who wear ceremonial daggers, some of whom are commanded to wear one as part of their religious faith. If a Scotsman can wear a dagger on board, are not others entitled to that same right?

It would seem to me that Cunard's blanket ban on daggers is, at the very least, equitable.

There are people other than Scotsman who wear ceremonial daggers, some of whom are commanded to wear one as part of their religious faith. If a Scotsman can wear a dagger on board, are not others entitled to that same right?

It would seem to me that Cunard's blanket ban on daggers is, at the very least, equitable.

That's because people play the trump card - religion. So if you want to do x, y or z and it's against the law, you just play your "faith" trump card and claim you are being discriminated against on the grounds of your beliefs. Well, that's how it works in the UK anyway.

I would agree that if the Scotsman can wear his then the Sikh should be allowed to wear his too, as should the addicted knitter be allowed to bring on her knitting. I don't think that stopping honest people having their freedoms is going to stop any sort of violence or terrorism. As has already been stated if a person was dead set to do harm they could use the steak knife or the smashed end of a bottle or a number of things I am sure we have not even thought of.

I think it is a very sad world that we now live in and that the terrorists are now very happy that we are all paranoid and have no freedoms and although I am 100% behind security measures I think they need to be based on good common sense.

I'm not the one in a frock! ;)

To clarify

• Queen's Room (in honour of the queen)
  • Queens' Grill (in honour of the Cunard Queens Elizabeth & Mary)

Now you have made me smile! An excellent response indeed. :D

As some wise cruiser has already pointed out...I may be a hazard with my dagger, but I could never be accused of being an underwear bomber!

Happy cruising, and many thanks for the majority of truly sensible posts on this topic.

Now you have made me smile! An excellent response indeed. :D

As some wise cruiser has already pointed out...I may be a hazard with my dagger, but I could never be accused of being an underwear bomber!

Happy cruising, and many thanks for the majority of truly sensible posts on this topic.

Then don't go out on deck on a windy evening .......

... said dagger was brazenly displayed and admired by Jamie and Osman (Queen's Grille). Shocking! :eek:

Osman knows all about the sgian dubh. He was standing beside me when I addressed the haggis then sliced it open with mine in 2003.

We had tried to get him kitted up (or even kilted up) for the occasion. He was up for it, his wife thought it was a great idea, we even had full highland dress for him. The Hotel Manager (an Englishman) had other ideas :(

Regards, Colin.

Indeed Salacia!

And to boot, said dagger was brazenly displayed and admired by Jamie and Osman (Queen's Grille). Shocking! :eek:

Well Kilboys, that makes it all worth it then...to have your dagger admired by Jamie and Osman! Queens Grill no less! Who could ask for more?

"Shocking!"? Nope, sorry. Regards, Salacia

There do need to be limits though - as some people have their own ideas :eek:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1246600&highlight=machete

It is interesting that this article claims that Carnival allows knives up to 4" long. I wonder if this is true. If so, even though Cunard's literature does not specify a blade length, it would make a bit of a nonsense of banning short sgian dubh blades, with the parent company having this policy. It would also explain the relaxed attitudes of security people when dealing with this issue.

I do, however, think that this discussion is a little exaggerated & fear based anyhow. We are not talking about taking a 'dagger' onto a plane, but a small ceremonial knife onto a cruise ship, where passengers have access to any number of knives & sharp objects. How on earth is a passenger going to hijack a cruise ship with a sgian dubh! Come on now, maybe just a little fearful or legalistic? :rolleyes: What happened to common sense? :cool:

Archived