crusing w/ children & family--any ideas

momofpirates2

Hello out there--we are planning a cruise for the family (8 adults and 4 children) in June 2011. Does any one have any ideas? We have been on several cruises that were advertised as "kid friendly" and were NOT. Our boys have never cruised and are very excited about the idea. I just don't want them to be disappointed or bored. I am leaning toward the basic room and easy ports like Nassau.

We did our first big "family" cruise on the Carnival Glory last fall/winter. It was WONDERFUL. Great mix of adult and family time, and everyone, from age 2-86, had a BLAST.

As far as not being bored, it truely does depend on your child/ren. But the ship had plenty to offer everyone (including in Camp Carnival) and the ports we went to were great. We were on the go almost all the time and though we were busy it was wonderful. This time around we're going to try to the opposite approach and doing things a bit more slower paced (more beach days, less structured idea of when we need to get up, Your Time Dining, etc.).

I'd be sure to pick ports that offer whatever it is you think your family will enjoy. My rule #1 for having a fabulous vacation is "do your homework" so you know what's available to you.

Hello out there--we are planning a cruise for the family (8 adults and 4 children) in June 2011. Does any one have any ideas? We have been on several cruises that were advertised as "kid friendly" and were NOT. Our boys have never cruised and are very excited about the idea. I just don't want them to be disappointed or bored. I am leaning toward the basic room and easy ports like Nassau.

The family (kid) friendly lines are Carnival, Disney, NCL and Royal Caribbean.

My goodness...which lines did you sail that weren't "kid friendly"? Most of the mass-market lines are fine for families...and actively market to them!

RCI, Carnival, NCL and DCL are probably the best for kids, as they have lots of things for the kids to do. Princess, Hal and Celebrity...while they have "kids clubs", don't have the "bells and whistles" that most kids like.

We were on the Crown Princess in June, and the kids programs were phenomenal. The kids program on the Ruby last year was awesome.

They had several "non kids club activities that were great for kids too.

Ceramics at Sea, Craft classes, Movies under the Stars, etc.

So, I think you would be very happy with Princess too!

Well, if the kids like the beach, I would look at any of the Carnival Cruises that go to Half Moon Caye (aka HMC)- the private island. We have the Liberty booked in June 2011 which goes to HMC, Grand Turk (again another good beach day), St Thomas and San Juan. All good easy ports - and no Nassau, which is not our favorite.

Well, if the kids like the beach, I would look at any of the Carnival Cruises that go to Half Moon Caye (aka HMC)- the private island. We have the Liberty booked in June 2011 which goes to HMC, Grand Turk (again another good beach day), St Thomas and San Juan. All good easy ports - and no Nassau, which is not our favorite.

I couldn't agree more - we did the exact same itinerary on the Glory with an 11 month old and a 5 year old and it was terrific. Lots of play time on the beach and everything was easily walkable (except St. Thomas where we took our only taxi to the beach). HMC is pure paradise...

Archived