San Juan Question

m.cruise

One of our ports will be San Juan. Are there any nice resorts where you can spend a day at the beach? Or is it convenient to do the town tour then reboard our ship to enjoy the amenities for the rest of the day?

Thanks in advance for advice and recommendations.

To follow up, is anyone familiar with Ocean Beach, Condado Beach, or Isla Verde Beach, especially with chair or cabana rentals, facilities, etc.? Thanks very much.

Frommers says:

Best Beach for Families: Luquillo Beach, 30 miles (48km) east of San Juan, attracts both local families, mainly from San Juan, and visitors from Condado and Isla Verde beaches in San Juan. Beach buffs heading for Luquillo know they will get better sands and clearer waters there than in San Juan. The vast sandy beach opens onto a crescent-shaped bay edged by a coconut grove. Coral reefs protect the crystal-clear lagoon from the often rough Atlantic waters that can buffet the northern coast, making Luquillo a good place for young children to swim. Much photographed because of its white sands, Luquillo also has tent sites and other facilities, including picnic areas with changing rooms, lockers, and showers.

Best for Swimming: Pine Grove Beach, which stretches between the Ritz-Carlton and the Marriott Courtyard at the end of Isla Verde near the airport, is a crescent, white-sand beach, whose tranquil, rich blue waters are protected by an offshore reef from the often rough Atlantic current. By the Ritz-Carlton and the Casa Cuba social club to the west, the water is completely sheltered, and a long sandbar means shallow water stretches way off shore. There's more of a surf to the east, which is a popular spot for surfing, boogie boarding, and body surfing. The waves are well formed but never too big, which makes it a perfect spot to learn to surf. Local surfers give lessons and rent boards from this beach, which is also a favorite for small sail boats and catamarans. There are no public facilities here, but it's a short walk to restaurants in the Isla Verde district. Both hotels on the beach have restaurants, bars and restroom facilities. The beach also connects to the Carolina Public Beach, which has lockers, outdoor showers and restrooms, and is immediately adjacent to the east. If you are driving here, parking at the public beach may be your best bet. It's right off Route 187 on the road to Piñones. Otherwise, enter the beach near the Ritz-Carlton or Marriott Courtyard hotel. Outside San Juan, the best beaches for swimming are probably Guánica's Playa Santa and Caña Gorda beaches in southwest Puerto Rico. The water is extremely warm and absolutely calm year round, and both spots boast wide, white-sand beaches with vistas of nothing but Caribbean Sea and hilly coastline.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/puertorico/0094020110.html#ixzz0zUyxK1FL

Thanks! As a first-timer, I feel as though I lack a sense of direction and timing in regard to how far we can go and what we will do when we arrive. For example, at most ports, is there an area where people tend to disembark and congregate or do they mostly do excursions? It looks like Grand Turk has a nice Cruise Center. But that looks like a new, special area, not something you typically find at every port. Is that right? Thanks for your feedback.

Also, I saw online to "have a taxi take you to the Ritz Carlton" for the beach. I cannot imagine the RC wants taxis or buses full of cruisers dropping people off every day. But is it a public access beach? I could not find that info. on their site -- obvioiusly, since they probablly don't want to encourage it. Thanks.

Also, I saw online to "have a taxi take you to the Ritz Carlton" for the beach. I cannot imagine the RC wants taxis or buses full of cruisers dropping people off every day. But is it a public access beach? I could not find that info. on their site -- obvioiusly, since they probablly don't want to encourage it. Thanks.

Beaches in Puerto Rico are public, but that does not mean you can easily access them through hotels, which are private property. There are public beach access points through side streets that intersect Isla Verde Ave, or Ave. Boca de Cangrejos (I'm not sure of the correct name of the main road at that point).

Thanks for the clarification. We certainly don't want to embarass ourselves by traipsing through a hotel. We will figure it out, or maybe one of the crew will suggest something for us. Very exciting to take a first cruise.

I believe that PR is more of a historical touristy island moreso than a beach type of island.

My first suggestion for you is to go to the Ports of Call threads and seek out the PR area, read and ask there.

I believe that PR is more of a historical touristy island moreso than a beach type of island.

My first suggestion for you is to go to the Ports of Call threads and seek out the PR area, read and ask there.

We've been going to Puerto Rico regularly for more than 35 years and even had a time share there. I can assure you that the island has excellent beaches.

Most people making a one day cruise ship call on San Juan do tend to focus on the historical areas of Old San Juan because many sites are within walking distance of the main cruise terminal, but it is possible to go to a nice beach instead, as the hotel districts and adjacent beaches are only a short taxi ride away in the Condado and Isla Verde districts of San Juan.

Asopao, a type of stew, and mofongo, which is made with plantains and a variety of other ingredients, are probably the two best known traditional Puerto Rican dishes (you can google the names for full descriptions).

Restaurants come and go...it's hard to make recommendations without having recently patronized an eatery, but in Old San Juan near where your ship will be docked is the oldest restaurant in Puerto Rico, La Mallorquina, which has been in business for over 150 years. Some will say "no...it's a tourist trap and the food isn't that good", but it's probably worth going to just to absorb the atmosphere.

The beach at Isla Verde is very nice and not too far from Old San Juan, but I agree with those that suggest you forgo the beach. El Moro is a terrific fort with great views and just walking around Old San Juan is wonderful because their are some great artisan shops and the architecture is lovely. And if you have enough time to get to the Barardi factory, please do go. I was skeptical about it but I finally went and it was a blast.

Archived