Photo Organiser

Sandielle

I've tried out the Ashampoo Photo Commander program but still find Picasa (free from Google) a much more flexible (and easy to use) program.

Picasa has been considerably enhanced over the years (for instance, it is very easy to put your photos on the web (in the free space provided) and is well liked by all my friends who use it.

As an example of the enhancements - recently face recognition has been added which allows you to search for all photos with a friend's/family member/etc face in it.

It is certainly worth downloading to try it out.

Don

PS I don't have shares in Google!

Hi Shieldsboy, thanks for your reply. I HAVE downloaded the latest Picasa programme and all was going swimmingly. Spent hours labelling and enhancing my last two cruise photos - put them in separate folders. (There was a lot of extraneous stuff - which was nothing to do with my stuff - there as well.) But that didn't bother me - I just ignored it.

Great, I thought. Then....one day I just opened it up and it had made more sub-folders/headings??? with nothing in - and - my folders were split up and recopied all over the place and I don't know how to sort out the mess. :eek::eek::eek: It wouldn't 'Undo' or any of the usual things. Aaaagh!

Also, not sure I like the fact that it takes people from everywhere. I see a face I don't recognise and when I click on it, it is someone in the background of a crowd photo. Great pic, but no-one I know, so I don't want the particular photo.

So you see, I'm really glad that you like it, but it is not for me. I just want something simple that will not take over my PC - a programme that I am in control of. My DH has Photo Commander - he hasn't used it, but had a look at it and it seems OK, just wanted some feedback before I start the whole process again......... :cool:

Sandielle,

Sorry you have had the problem with Picasa, as, I think you can see from the responses so far, many are very happy with it.

There are many photo manager programs available and it is a little difficult to give any advice unless you specify the sort of facilities you require. For instance, do you want to improve pictures, add comments, borders, rotate, create slideshows, add photos to emails, add to facebook, create web pages, use layers (as per Photoshop) etc, etc.

Nevertheless, i will mention one company i have a soft spot for - http://www.xecute.com - partly as they are a New Zealand company who have been in business for a number of years. Their products such as Smart Pix Manager, Pixplay, and Diji Album may be worth a look.

Don

I have been using Picasa ( from Google) for several years. For a plain, simple and good and easy to use system, cant go past it. AND its free!!!

Horrie, I'm sorry I missed your reply yesterday - I wasn't ignoring you. :) I WAS hoping Picasa would be the answer to my photo problems with an early Adobe Photoshop, but it caused me more. Trouble is I need 'hands on' help to get out of the mess. Will have to wait until my son visits.

(Don't know why I have so much trouble with photos - I can use genealogy programmes, Publisher and Powerpoint without any trouble or reading the manual. Sheesh! :cool:)

Sandielle,

Sorry you have had the problem with Picasa, as, I think you can see from the responses so far, many are very happy with it.

There are many photo manager programs available and it is a little difficult to give any advice unless you specify the sort of facilities you require. For instance, do you want to improve pictures, add comments, borders, rotate, create slideshows, add photos to emails, add to facebook, create web pages, use layers (as per Photoshop) etc, etc.

Nevertheless, i will mention one company i have a soft spot for - http://www.xecute.com - partly as they are a New Zealand company who have been in business for a number of years. Their products such as Smart Pix Manager, Pixplay, and Diji Album may be worth a look.

Don

Shieldsboy, it's probably some weirdly wired circuit in my brain! :rolleyes: I would like the programme to do most of the above - not particular about slideshows, web pages or layers, but I want to put the photos where I want them, not have the programme take over and I don't want it to gather every face in Christendom and make a new photo.

My DH has had a computer of some kind since the 70s, and is a great help with lots of things but has never been interested in photos, so gets as frustrated as I do with Picasa. He has Photo Commander 7 and 8 and has tried it briefly and thinks it seems OK i.e. it lets you put the photos where you want them and doesn't take over - that's why I asked about it. (I don't want to load photos into that and find a problem.)

I think DS is visiting in a couple of weeks - I will have to nail him down for some lessons. :rolleyes:

Archived