Should i upgrade to a balcony cabin ?

chrisxmoa

For the price difference, I doubt it. They are not really offering you an upgrade, they are offering you an opportunity to upgrade yourself for an additional cost. You very well could have gotten the guaranteed balcony category for that price anyway. JMHO.

I beat myself up with this question every cruise I book! Have only sailed in balcony cabins and keep saying I'm going to sail cheap this time so book obstructed ov. Then the prices drop and I can't stand it anymore so upgrade myself!

Guess the bottomline is what makes you happy. I just love sitting out on the balcony at night or early morning and sailing wouldn't be the same without that.

Balconies are nice but they are not must haves. I would let your budget guide you. Get the cabin you feel financially comfortable with. These boards are anonymous - it is easy for people to recommend others spend their money. I have been in all cabin types from inside to deluxe suite. In my recent Alaska cruise for a week, we probably spent two hours tops outside on the balcony. For the glacier viewing we were out on the bow and public decks with everyone else for the best views. We did enjoy the views through our cabin windows very much, however.

I love to cruise but there is a limit to how much I will spend on each cruise. I consider the price (including price difference between categories), number of port days, cruise length, cruise line, cabin amenities, etc in my decision of cabin type. My November 2010 7 night to the Caribbean is in an inside but for our 12 night Med cruise we are in a balcony. The cabin type has never made or broke my cruise vacation. There is so much to do and see - get on the ship in whatever cabin you can afford and you will have a great time. IMOH, do not sacrifice the funding for excursions and the on board experience to get a better cabin type.

We are on this sailing with you. A balcony is a MUST for a Caribbean sailing/ Even though there are four ports in 7 days, there will be plenty of time to enjoy the balcony. We had done insides, oceanviews, balconies and minisuites, A couple times we did an inside in the Caribbean. We were so unhappy with that choice. I can't describe how magical it is to sit out on your balcony. For the samll increase in price that your TA is offering you, you are CRAZY (if you can afford it) not to upgrade to a balcony!

We have done many cruises and early on when we cruised we usually did mostly inside and oceanview cabins. Did the Baltics in 06 on the Star and we were glad we had an inside due to the long days. Heck, we went for a stroll at 1130pm and the sun was still up!! Anyway, for the last few cruises we have had veranda cabins and I'm not sure if we can go back to an inside or oceanview again. It does spoil you and you do use it more than you think you would, even on a port intensive cruise. It's nice to sit out there and have a coffee or drink of your choice and just relax. I know you can also do that elsewhere on the ship but this is your own slice of heaven so to speak. I do have a question for those of you Princess cruisers though...We have never had a balcony on a Princess cruise. Are the balcony doors slide or are they an actual door? I know on celebrity they are sliders and we just kept the slider open part way during the night and it was just wonderful hearing the ocean!!

actually, i dont think i should book the balcony. my cruise calls 4 ports within the 7 days...

i also thought that the rooms were smaller for the balcony...

Actually, the cabins are the same size - the balcony gives the added square-footage, which is why we think of our balcony as an extra room for us to enjoy.

Also - a Caribbean cruise will permit much more balcony time than other cruises in cooler/colder climates.

Regardless - just book what fits you and your lifestyle and enjoy your cruise. No one here is trying to tell you how to spend your money. We are merely giving our opinions and I do believe most folks suggesting taking the balcony upsell in replying to your inquiry, stated that IF it is something you can afford, you might want to give it a try.

The main thing is to relax, and savor everything about your cruise, and have a wonderful experience. Smooth Sailing to you always! :D

Lots of respondents have given you good advice on why you should take the balcony. So let me add my voice to the few who are advocating for saving your money. Even if that $410 is well within your comfort range, it would also pay for a few excursions or your bar bill (assuming you partake).

Disclaimer: I just upgraded the cabin on our upcoming cruise from an Obstructed Oceanview guarantee to a Balcony guarantee so you can see that I don't really listen to my own advice. ;)

i will be sailing on Oct. 31st on the Ruby Princess. i currently book an ocean obstructed view cabin. the one thing that was great about this was that i was able to selected the location of the cabin.

i was advised by my agency that i can upgrade my cabin to a guaranteed balcony cabin for 205 pp. Which comes out to 410.

i was thinking, considering there is soo much going on in the cruise ship that i really dont need the balcony. but having some fresh air would definetely be great in the cabin.:confused:

what do you guys think ?

Lots of good pros & cons already discussed but I'd take the balcony for $410/cabin more.

When the price difference is $500-$1000+ more, I'd take a less expensive cabin & spend the difference on other things to enjoy the cruise. Our 1st balcony was a fall New England/Canada cruise & we rarely used the balcony due to so much rain. Thus when we went to the British Isles we got an inside cabin & used the big savings on shore excursions to fully experience our ports of call.

Another consideration is if motion sickness is an issue; if so, then a lower deck, mid-ship cabin is best. My TA said she gets lots of clients who get technical "upgrades" but end up with a much less desirable cabin & are very upset. That's why we have our TA select the "no upgrade" option when we book a cabin in a desireable location.

We did get a BA balcony cabin (largest balcony halfway in the shade which we prefer over a mini-suite's couch & tub but that's a personal decision) for a 28 day Ft. Lauderdale/Copenhagen cruise & it was great. For our 30 day Sydney/LA cruise we got our 1st mini-suite which has an exposed balcony that's half the size of a BA balcony which didn't offset the advantages of a couch & tub to us.

Have a great cruise!

Where are you going? In many instances, the balcony is useless. Too cold or nothing to see.

DON

We agree with DON... You may want to think about using the money toward your shore excursions or maybe something you find that you "can not live without" (this usually happens to us )...

Happy Cruising,

Brad:)

P.S. We are off to the Aegean (Star Princess) in November, 2010

This will be our 15th. cruise

We will be on the Ruby the week prior to the Eastern Caribbean, so the poster will definitely be going to the Caribbean. For us to upgrade from an interior to a balcony it would cost an extra $1100. I would love to have a balcony, however, we are going to save the $ and go on another cruise in February. Since we have never been on Princess, we haven't experienced eating dinner on the balcony, but probably wouldn't take advantage of it anyway. The only downside is that you can't leave your balcony door open at night. It really depends on how much time you spend in your cabin and whether you want to spend the extra money or not. Balconies are great, but I am sure we will enjoy our cruise just as much without one.

Beth :)

Why ? we do with no issue, to fall asleep to the sound of the sea - perfect IMHO :D

Answer to main question YES YES YES,we started in an Ocean view then a balcony now a mini, it's a dangerous move ;) but worth every $, once you have had a balcony you'll just have to save that little extra for the upgrade We are also sailing Oct 31st with you, we may be neighbours, I'll pour you a G&T and you can join us to watch the sunset bliss

Archived