Rum Point or Seven Mile?

jwright98

Seven Mile Beach, aka SMB

Seven Mile Beach is actually about 5.5 miles long. It is a typical postcard ideal of a beach - a long thin ribbon of sand that goes on for miles. The southern tip of SMB starts about a mile and a half north of the cruise ships tender piers. Travel time is thus relative short for a visitor off a cruise ship. Many other tours (Turtle Farm, Hell, Dolphin Swims, or Stingray Sandbar trips) will offer to drop you somewhere along SMB on the way back to the ship.

Because of its length, specific sections of SMB are referred to by specific names, often referencing a nearby business. West Bay Public Beach, Cemetery Beach, Tiki Beach, Sea Grape, SMB Public Beach, Governor's Beach, Westin, Hyatt, Royal Palms, and Marriott are a few of the more commonly referenced sections fo SMB. Available services vary according to specific location. Most sites have relatively little natural shade. Owing to the location on the island's lee shore, the water is usually relatively calm and waves are minimal.

Rum Point

Rum Point is a specific property in the Cayman Kai area of North Side. The surrounding properties are largely vacation rental homes and condos. There are no other businesses within a short walking distance of the Rum Point property. By road it is nearly a 45 minute drive from the cruise ship ports. Taxis are quite expensive to go that far making a rental car the more economical way to go. Some tour operators include a lunch stop at Rum Point as a part of a snorkeling tour (usually a trip that goes to the Stingray Sandbar).

The Rum Point property is well shaded with Casurina Pine trees which results in the beach having many flecks of pine needles in the sand. Lounge chairs are provided for free use on a first-come basis. The property has a beach grill restaurant (and a separate sit down dining restaurant which is only open in the evenings) as well as a beach bar that specializes in frozen blender drinks. bathrooms are well tended and clean and include shower facilties. There is one gift shop on site. The watersports shop rents snorkle gear, kayaks, jetskis, and such.

With the Rum Point beach facing slightly northwest, the seas are usually calm though it is subject to more waves than Seven Mile Beach on a windy day. The near shore waters are much shallower than SMB with adults able to easily wade in less than chest deep water up to about 50 yards from shore. There are some scattered coral heads out from the dock making snorkeling better than many sections of SMB.

Thank you so much! It makes me nervous that Rum Point is so far away though. So, I am assuming for the popular Stingray tour, it is equally as far?

:D Rum Point is only "far away" by land. It's much shorter to get to Rum Point from George Town via water...and you pretty much "drive" right by Stingray City to get there. That's why many of the Stingray City tours include a stop at Rum Point or one of the other beaches in that area...

We've been to Rum Point a couple of times by renting a jeep and exploring and then going there. If there are a lot of ships in it's still quiet there. If youre just looking for beach time and it's not a busy port day 7 mile beach is fine and saves money.

You mentioned it with Sting Ray city tour, to me that would make for aa great day. I don't know if there is still a water taxi running, all the research I did a few months ago said that it was not operating last June.

The first time we went to the Cayman's, our cab driver dropped us off at a beach he called Public Beach. There were beach cabanas with picnic tables under them and public restrooms. It wasn't crowded at all when we went.

The second time we went, we told the person at the pier we wanted to go to Public Beach and she directed us to a bus. Once the bus was full, it dropped us off at a resort (not Public Beach). It was crowded and had almost no shade unless you rented an umbrella.

We're going again this Janaury. I'm going to make sure we take a cab to Public Beach. I'm assuming, based on the previous post, this is West Bay Public Beach.

Thank you so much! It makes me nervous that Rum Point is so far away though. So, I am assuming for the popular Stingray tour, it is equally as far?

Check out Nativeway Sports. We have done their excursion twice. They pick you up at the tender dock and take you to the yacht club to go out to stingray city. Then further out to snorkle which is amazing and then lunch at Rum Point and time to chill on the beach. Then they take you back to the tender dock. Perfect day...the best excursion we have taken in the Caribbean.

Check out Nativeway Sports. We have done their excursion twice. They pick you up at the tender dock and take you to the yacht club to go out to stingray city. Then further out to snorkle which is amazing and then lunch at Rum Point and time to chill on the beach. Then they take you back to the tender dock. Perfect day...the best excursion we have taken in the Caribbean.

We have done this excursion THREE TIMES over the years and absolutely agree that it was the best excursion I have taken in the Caribbean. Cannot say enough good things about it!!!

• 2 months later...

Archived