Halifax Public Gardens worth seeing in early October?

We will be in Halifax on October 7th. Will the public gardens be worth seeing then, or will everything be dormant already?

I live in Halifax and I can tell you the Public Gardens are well worth seeing anytime. Very peaceful and tranquil and an easy walk from where the ship docks. Enjoy Halifax, you will love it!

I live in Halifax and I can tell you the Public Gardens are well worth seeing anytime. Very peaceful and tranquil and an easy walk from where the ship docks. Enjoy Halifax, you will love it!

Any idea about how long the walk is from the cruise ship?

maryann,

What are your thoughts about taking the ferry over to Dartmouth and then taking the bus over to Fisherman's Cove? Is Fisherman's Cove worth the trip if all we are looking for is a little side trip? We have been to Halifax several times before but have never done the ferry. We are always looking for scenic places (we have already been to Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove, Fairview Cemetery). Thanks for your input.

Any idea about how long the walk is from the cruise ship?

It would be a 20 to 30 miute walk which has lots to see along the way. The Gardens are on one of the nicest streets in Halifax, which is Spring Garden Road. Lots of great shops and restaurants. A great street to have a coffee and people watch,

Thanks for the reply Maryann. Are there shops and scenic walks where the ferry comes into Dartmouth? It would be easier just to stay in that area. Thanks again for your guidance.

The ferry docks in downtown Dartmouth where you could browse around but not really alot of shopping. I would not do Fishernens Cove, although it is charming, it is not easy to do unless you have a car. Alot of people take the ferry to get a view of the city especially since the cruise ships don't get that far in to the harbour. You can go over and back on the same ferry as alot of tourists do. I would spend my time on the Halifax waterfrount where there are great shops and restaurants and a must see is the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, right on the waterfront. All this is an easy stroll along the boardwalk which is beside the cruise terminal. Even though I live here in Halifax I have sailed in many times and will again in October on the QM2. Be sure to get up early and watch the sail in, you won't be disapointed!

Nancy

The ferry docks in downtown Dartmouth where you could browse around but not really alot of shopping. I would not do Fishernens Cove, although it is charming, it is not easy to do unless you have a car. Alot of people take the ferry to get a view of the city especially since the cruise ships don't get that far in to the harbour. You can go over and back on the same ferry as alot of tourists do. I would spend my time on the Halifax waterfrount where there are great shops and restaurants and a must see is the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, right on the waterfront. All this is an easy stroll along the boardwalk which is beside the cruise terminal. Even though I live here in Halifax I have sailed in many times and will again in October on the QM2. Be sure to get up early and watch the sail in, you won't be disapointed!

Nancy

Nancy,

Thank you for your response and your first hand knowledge. You and Maryann are so helpful. We have been to Halifax several times on cruises and I am aware of the wonderful boardwalk and the museum. I was just looking for something different to do when we return in 2011. Thanks again for your help.

Leslie

Archived