NCL -loved Jade (except sea day!). What about Costa?

sealegs14

Hi

I've added my review from our August cruise in the review section http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=72319

Let me know if you have any comments of questions.

All week the cruise was very calm. I don't travel well and didn't need travel remedies or seabands. However, on our last day, which was a sea day, the waves increased from 0.1 to 7 metres, and everyone was staggering around the ship. I was sick in the evening which was disappointing after such a good week.

Is it more typical to get poor conditions on the sea day due to a more direct route (deeper water) or were we just unlucky? It's made me look for itineries without seadays but it might just be a coincidence. We had such a good time, so don't want this to put me off.

In fact, I'm looking for a cruise in April (just for me and the kids this time). Any suggestions? Right now Costa is coming out best for range of choice and price. NCL doesn't offer many routes in Europe in April, and USA is too far to travel during the Easter holidays. Whilst we loved Jade, we would like to try another ship.

Sealegs - Sorry to hear you had a rough sea day. I am lucky that I don't get sea sick. I don't know if it is a fleet wide issue or just a Costa Atlantica issue or just an Atlantica issue in the Carribean but on our cruise last November we felt like the ship moved more than any we had ever been on.

We weren't that impressed with COSTA and determined that we will only sail on Costa if they price is really really really low. If you want to read my review of our cruise, its titled "At least they had two happy hours a day" from November 2009.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

Dear friends:

There's something about the sea between Southern France and Barcelona that nearly always makes it rough when the ship is returning from France to Barcelona.

We've experienced that increase roughness on most cruise lines that do that route.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

One cant predict weather, no matter what ship, it is just the luck of the draw. We just finished a med cruise also on the Jade and on our one sea day the afternoon was rough, pools were closed, games cancelled.... As a matter of fact husband spent the night in bed rather than have dinner but these things happen. It had no effect on me. As a side note, room service pizza is pretty good!!

The captian knew it was coming and the evening before advised us that there was a good chance the afternoon would be choppy. So was no surprise to us. Sometimes it just cant be avoided.

We were a bit more lucky that you though. We had one more stop after the sea day and not a port we were that much interested in so stayed on the ship where it was wonderfully calm and empty!! Great pool day.

We have sailed many different lines and I have to say for a Med cruise we thought the freestyle Jade was a perfect choice and would not hesitate to recommend this ship and the stops to anyone.

Interesting that you say Gunther. Our rough sea day was between Naples and Palma....

Archived