Is there a Captain's table on POA?

cruznbelle

DH and I are totally new to NCL and will be going on POA. Twice now we've been invited to the Captains Table on the 2nd formal night on RCCL and wonder if there is such a thing on POA?

I'm trying to figure out if I should bring a beaded top for me and suit coat for DH just in case. On RCCL one would look out of place with resort casual dining with the Captain. Otherwise I won't bother and will just stick to packing slacks and a nice top. :confused:

Thanks!

Why do you think you would be invited to the Captian's table?

LOL I was wondering the same thing.

You wouldn't be out of place wearing resort casual IF you were invited to the captain's table, there was another post here that some people wore shorts at that table.

Since Hawaii is a different cruise altogether, I would suggest that the entire dress code is even more relaxed than on any other ship. It is port intensive and Hawaii has a very laid back atmosphere. Why do you think their slogan is "Hang Loose" ?? :D

In 2008, we sailed on the Pride of Aloha. We were in the Owners' Suite and we were Platinum latitudes. One or both of those got us an invitation to dine with the Captain. I was horrified. Our clothes BARELY qualified as resort casual. My husband, two teenagers and I had planned lots of shore excursions and most meals in the buffet.

The concierge assured me that we would be fine and we were. My daughter and I wore capris and blouses (versus the tee shirts we also had with us) My husband wore a Hawaiian shirt because he owns a bunch of them anyway. I think my son had decent pants and a shirt to wear.

There really was no need for any kind of dressy clothes on this cruise. I will also proudly say that four of went on a 10 day cruise with only two suitcases that were each under 50 lbs. When they were weighed at the airport, one was 49.5 and the other 50. :)

One or both of those got us an invitation to dine with the Captain. I was horrified. Our clothes BARELY qualified as resort casual.

Ahhh Cruzinwithkids - this is exactly why I ask!

GigCrusier and Sauer-kraut - mostly because of our cabin choice I guess - it's impossible to know how they choose who gets an invitation - I've also heard that 1st timers are sometimes chosen as well. If you read other threads you can see that it's really a mystery. We were upgraded to a Royal Suite on our very 1st cruise ever and ended up being invited to the bridge and then to dinner. We figured the cabin was probably the reason, (or the fact that I waved hi to the officers on the bridge bump out which looked right into our balcony every morning having my coffee :rolleyes:. But then, at dinner we discovered that 3 of the 4 husbands invited were airline captains - which I found very statisically bizarre since I certainly don't remember listing our occupations anywhere.

So I haven't a clue nor am I expecting it but Cruzinwithkids has made me feel much better as our other 2 times were quite formal but then there was no concept of free style cruising! I'll pack a nice skirt set which I'll wear one way or another but will leave the beaded top at home :).

THANK YOU very much!!!

Ahhh Cruzinwithkids - this is exactly why I ask!

GigCrusier and Sauer-kraut - mostly because of our cabin choice I guess - it's impossible to know how they choose who gets an invitation - I've also heard that 1st timers are sometimes chosen as well. If you read other threads you can see that it's really a mystery. We were upgraded to a Royal Suite on our very 1st cruise ever and ended up being invited to the bridge and then to dinner. We figured the cabin was probably the reason, (or the fact that I waved hi to the officers on the bridge bump out which looked right into our balcony every morning having my coffee :rolleyes:. But then, at dinner we discovered that 3 of the 4 husbands invited were airline captains - which I found very statisically bizarre since I certainly don't remember listing our occupations anywhere.

So I haven't a clue nor am I expecting it but Cruzinwithkids has made me feel much better as our other 2 times were quite formal but then there was no concept of free style cruising! I'll pack a nice skirt set which I'll wear one way or another but will leave the beaded top at home :).

THANK YOU very much!!!

Ummmm.... I always booked a suite or Villa. Been on 10 NCl Cruises. Oh, well - I guess I am missing the Pilots license. I never attend the Captians Parties and the Concierge even came to our cabin once asking why we were not at the Captians Cocktail Party. Dang... I would like to say "no thanks" as least once. :-)

There is no "Captain's Table" in the Main Dining Rooms on the POAm like there is on the RCCL ships. I have actually never seen the Captain dine in the main dining rooms on any NCL ships. There is no mandatory formal night, just on Dress up or Not Night. (Monday, the day you leave Maui) But I would guess less than 20% dressed up.... the lowest amount I have ever seen on my NCL cruises.

The Captain did make an appearance and sales pitch for the NCL Shore Excursions and Drink Specials at the Lattitudes party (for returning guests). I wasn't really impressed by the Captain of the POAm, especially after lowering himself to do sales pitches.

I wasn't really impressed by the Captain of the POAm, especially after lowering himself to do sales pitches.

Interesting perspective. I would assume part of the Captain's performance would be based on the perfomance of his crew and the profitability of the ship. I don't see how assisting in these areas is lowering one's self.

Interesting perspective. I would assume part of the Captain's performance would be based on the perfomance of his crew and the profitability of the ship. I don't see how assisting in these areas is lowering one's self.

To me the Captain of a ship (as well as the other Senior Officers except the Cruise Director) should be above "selling" of the ship. It is his job to run the ship and in that position he needs to be respected and respectful. Helping to sell Shore excursions or specialty drinks is a job for the Cruise Director and those below that level.

I have no problem with the Captain saying "we hope you will sail with us again" or even "if you enjoyed your cruise, please book another one with us." Even "make sure to get off the ship and enjoy the ports" wouldn't bother me. But to encourage passengers to buy a certain drink deystroys the respect that the position of Captain requires.

Like I said, I was not impressed with the Captain of the POAm in the first place and all respect that I hold for that person completely went away with his "Mr. Haney" sales routine. I did think the Staff Captain was very good, friendly and knowledgeable and he did not lower himself to hawking goods.

Like I said in my review, I was extremely unimpressed with the Officers and most department heads on the POAm. I think their lack of abilities is part of the problem with the entire crew on board the POAm. You can only be as good as your management staff.... and that is really represented on the PoAm.

Archived