Carnival Dress Code

buster parry

J

Although I really would like to see that collard shirt mentioned above....I've never seen one made out of greens before.

Oops- my apologies- I didn't see the other post and thought you were referring to me. I do agree- a collard shirt sounds.....interesting:D

I always loved what used to be called "formal nights" and still dress up. However, I think we have the airlines to thank for a lot of people no longer doing so. By the time you pay $25.00 per bag, each way, for your luggage to fly with you, it becomes a pain in the butt. I still am willing to pay extra to fly hubby's tux and my formal dresses, but a lot of people just are not willing to incur the extra expense - especially those who barely afforded the cruise to begin with.

And some of us just think it is foolish to spend an extra $50 on luggage to dress up for a mere hour to an hour and a half.......it's just not important to us........been there done that have all the pics to proove.....and yes we can well afford it........

For those flying one option is to have him wear the coat/jacket. Our oldest flew to San Diego for a wedding - insisted on carry on only (had to change planes twice to get the cheap rate) so he simply wore the jacket with a polo shirt and khaki's (shorts mind you....shorts):eek: I thought he'd lost his mind, but hey he's almost 20. He actually said he got quite a few compliments on his attire...:confused:. Anyway, just an idea for those who need to travel light but still want to dress up.

My husband always brings a suit, shirt and tie but he wears one for work each day. Bring a pair of khakis, shirt and tie and a sportcoat if you wish. A black dress, church style dress or pant suit is fine for a woman. Some men will be in a polo shirt and khaki pants too. Wear what you feel most comfortable with is probally the best advice.

That is just totally not true! Maybe your smaller ships, but we were on the Freedom and saw no such thing. Everyone dressed nice (some even tuxs and gowns on elegant night), and the other nights in the MDR, most all diners were dressed very nice. And WE were one of them!

Just off the Valor which I don't consider to be a smaller ship. Elegant night saw plenty of suits and some tuxes as well as dress pants and dress shirt but on casual nights it was another story.

The table next to us there was a guy in camoflage shorts and ball cap. Saw a good amount of ballcaps, most worn backwards.

Anything goes OP so don't worry.

Bill

Carnival has 3 levels of dress, Casual, Extremely Casual, and Sloppy.

No jacket is required on Carnival, no tie is required on Carnival.

"Cruise Elegant Night", a total misnomer, means no cut off jeans shorts for men. Long pants and a collard shirt will put him in the upper echelon.

Well, let's put a little perspective to this, shall we?

Since in your opinion the new Carnival dress code can be "sloppy". How about we also classify the "upper echelon" of elegant dress?

If someone was to call a nicely dressed person a, snob (:eek:), would that be acceptable?

Of course it wouldn't. Just as Carnival's new dress code isn't "sloppy".

I think you get my point.

I read on Carnival's website that they have tuxedo's for rent, it includes shirts, vest, etc...even shoes. So like us since we don't want to have to drag his heavy formal attire with us we are just planning to rent it thru Carnival. Also, we normally wouldn't participate in formal night but it just so happens that the first formal night falls on his bday so we are going to do something special by dressing up in formal attire and taking pics. Besides he wants to dress up like James Bond so I'm not going to stop him:p

For those flying one option is to have him wear the coat/jacket. Our oldest flew to San Diego for a wedding - insisted on carry on only (had to change planes twice to get the cheap rate) so he simply wore the jacket with a polo shirt and khaki's (shorts mind you....shorts):eek: I thought he'd lost his mind, but hey he's almost 20. He actually said he got quite a few compliments on his attire...:confused:. Anyway, just an idea for those who need to travel light but still want to dress up.

That's what we do - saves on the room in the bag.

I will assume you are joking but should our British guests not be clear on what I meant- a shirt with a collar as opposed to a tee shirt.

And for those who think I wear "crappy" clothes- be that as it may. I do not cruise to get dressed up. I wear a nice dress, my husband wore shirt and tie as did my children. If you want to get "dressed up" go for it. It is a large pair of dining rooms and space for everyone. I wish a lot of things and since wishes are not horses- I will not be riding. Nor will you. But insulting those who do not feel the way that you do- gee I wish people were polite too.

thank you....That is all I am asking! A decent dress or dress slacks for women, khakis and a polo or button down for men.....is totally acceptable....just not jeans or shorts! My husband owns a tux so he will be in that, I own many cocktail dresses only because of all the parties adn events I go to with my job so we really dress up but we don't expect everyone to have to do that extent but you gotta understand that I just don't want to have a table mate with a tshirt that says "I do it daily" and his jeans (FYI,the back had a picture of a newspaper)

AM I WRONG!!!! lol

We cruised on the MS Freedom this past July. There used to be a dress code, but Elegant night is "Elegant" in name only. Generally if you wish to dress up you may do so, but if you care to show up on "Formal/Elegant" night in shorts and sneakers Carnival will accept that also.

Since weight of luggage is a concern (and a valid one), you might consider what I have found works perfectly.

I bring one pair of dressy black trousers, and 2 dressy blouses to go with it....for each of the elegant evenings.

Nobody notices you are wearing the same bottom half, since the top makes it look like a totally different outfit... (and even if they did, I couldn't care less :D)

My husband wears the same dark suit with a different shirt and tie for both evenings... nobody notices on that score, either.....

You don't have to bring evening gowns, tuxedos, and a jillion pairs of shoes.

This is not about Carnival. This is about America. We have become a nation of slobs. It doesn't matter where you go, people for the most part look terrible. When we go out to a nice restaurant, people are dressed the way they would dress to go to a ball game. When I go to church, people are dressed terrible. I just attended a formal after 6pm wedding, and young men (20's) were there in shorts and ball caps. This is not just about cruises, it is everywhere we go. The last cruise on Carnival (15 day Panama Canal in April) people showed up in the dining room in ball caps, full camo attire as in deer hunters, sweat pants, and yes PJs. The lady at the table next to us wore some type of PJ pants every night with a sweat shirt. In the shows people came in robes. When did we stop wanting to look our best? It is not so much about formal night, it is the other nights on the cruise that people look their worst. It seems to be a movement that is growing. I will still look and dress my best no matter where I go on a cruise or anywhere else. It does bother me we just don't care how we look. I would be fine with people in nice casual dress but when you say casual now people think it means anything goes. If people kept to the dress code I would be fine. I do not think PJs, ball caps, sweat pants, or any type of camouflage should be allowed in the dining rooms.

This is not about Carnival. This is about America. We have become a nation of slobs. ....

I actually think you have a very good point. What was once the provence of teenagers rebelling against their parents has become the norm. I was at the grocery store yesterday in late morning and there was a middle aged woman wandering around shopping in her pajamas. What happens on the ships is simply a reflection of what is happening nationwide. I laugh when people here say- Just wear what you would in a good restaurant at home. Uh- they are. While a part of me says- hey- maybe these things are not important, life and manners change, different generations- another part of me is horrified. First kids and now increasingly older men with pants hanging down and underwear hanging out, young and now increasingly older women with bras now a part of their public clothing- the examples could go on and on. I keep remembering people complaining about the long hair on young men when I was young and trying to convince myself that this is really no different. I have not been successful as yet.

Well, let's put a little perspective to this, shall we?

Since in your opinion the new Carnival dress code can be "sloppy". How about we also classify the "upper echelon" of elegant dress?

If someone was to call a nicely dressed person a, snob (:eek:), would that be acceptable?

Of course it wouldn't. Just as Carnival's new dress code isn't "sloppy".

I think you get my point.

Well since I do wear a tux on every cruise on every line. If some rude sub-human slob wishes to call me a snob, I give them my best down the nose snobbish look and assume they dwell under a rock somewhere wet and moldy.:eek::D

And if Carnival's dress is not "sloppy" then there is some designation between extremely casual and sloppy that I'm unfamiliar with.:rolleyes::p

Well since I do wear a tux on every cruise on every line. If some rude sub-human slob wishes to call me a snob, I give them my best down the nose snobbish look and assume they dwell under a rock somewhere wet and moldy.:eek::D

And if Carnival's dress is not "sloppy" then there is some designation between extremely casual and sloppy that I'm unfamiliar with.:rolleyes::p

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find consistent upper-echelon attire on-board a class of ship that is not intended for the "upper-echelon". :rolleyes:

Blame it on the cruise line for marketing to the a cruise public that may not necessarily enjoy such.

I'm sure there are upper-echelon options out there for those that prefer it.

Now just wait a minute mister:cool: I don't wear a tux and I'm not a slob:D

I personally wear dress pants & a blouse or a simple cocktail dress for Casual Nights for dinner. On formal night, I wear a more classy dress. My fiance wears dress pants and a collared shirt for Casual Nights; and dress pants, dress shirt & tie for Formal Night.

The way I see it is that people are going to dress the way they want to regardless. IMO, I don't think its too hard to dress up and look a bit classy for 2 hours... :confused:

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find consistent upper-echelon attire on-board a class of ship that is not intended for the "upper-echelon". :rolleyes:

Blame it on the cruise line for marketing to the a cruise public that may not necessarily enjoy such.

I'm sure there are upper-echelon options out there for those that prefer it.

This is the best post to this thread. When we cruise Princess we don't even do Formal nights. We only went back to attending on Carnival because they have changed the dress code. We just got tired of dressing up for less then 2 hours to eat. Maybe Carnival is not the line for past Carnival cruisers anymore. Try Princess who has not changed their dress code, a shirt, tie and jacket is required for Formal night. Remember you are cruising on Walmart.

This is the best post to this thread. When we cruise Princess we don't even do Formal nights. We only went back to attending on Carnival because they have changed the dress code. We just got tired of dressing up for less then 2 hours to eat. Maybe Carnival is not the line for past Carnival cruisers anymore. Try Princess who has not changed their dress code, a shirt, tie and jacket is required for Formal night. Remember you are cruising on Walmart.

Lots of great posts in this thread and, at least for now, polite responses. What I don't get, having only been a member for a few months,

is the amount of threads (and anger) devoted to this subject. Besides alcohol/smuggling threads, this one really gets people going.

...First kids and now increasingly older men with pants hanging down and underwear hanging out...

Pants on the ground. Pants on the ground. Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.

I still wear a suit to church and a suit on cruise formal nights, but I'm in the minority. Gosh, remember when Ricky and Fred wore suits around the house on I Love Lucy?

Pants on the ground. Pants on the ground. Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.

I still wear a suit to church and a suit on cruise formal nights, but I'm in the minority. Gosh, remember when Ricky and Fred wore suits around the house on I Love Lucy?

I heard Ricky and Fred got married in Vermont and are very happy together. The world has changed and I'm mostly fine with this.

Clothing becoming more and more casual is just a part of that. I am planning on wearing a suit for elegant nights and everone else can do what they wish.

Archived