battery question

goodwrench67

I think I know this answer but I'll ask it anyway. My wife's wheelchair batteries say "sealed non-spillable lead acid battery" According to NCL's website they're not allowed. How do they check? The batteries are not easily accesible? Will they take it apart to check? Thought I'd ask the experts...

I've been curious as to the answer as well to the "SLA" battery question as I find it hard to believe these aren't allowed. Even if you do get an answer, you might want to consider asking NCL directly by emailing their access desk - here's the email id: accessdesk@ncl.com

If you do email them directly, please post back their response.

Are you sure that the're not spillable gel cells. They are aircraft approved. They usually take the lead acid batteries out and put them in a special container.They don't put them back in. That's up to you. If your not flying then you will be in your chair when you get on the ship. I've been on a lot of cruiss and have never been asked. I am on my 4th chair and have never had anything other than gal cells. Check your batteries. You might be surprised. If not I would go out and buy gel cells. I fly 3 or 4 times a year and they don't even make you disconnect your batteries anymoreEnjoy your cruise.

Suggest you check with your insurance provider.

Batteries for my power chair are covered .

I'm confused - what will the insurance provider do if NCL only accepts gel batteries and her scooter uses SLA batteries??????????? :confused: Are you saying she can cancel the trip and get her money back? They'll buy her a gel battery? Sorry to be so dense, I just can't figure out the insurance angle.

I spoke to my sales rep on the phone, she read to me the manual that says only gel batteries are allowed. Looks like we'll be using the manual chair. I can't afford to replace good batteries just for 1 weeks vacation.

your sales rep - meaning an NCL rep? If not, how can you be sure they have the most current information? Personally, I'd want to see it in writing from NCL (the horse's mouth) that "S" LA batteries are unacceptable... but that's just me!

I do see on the web site where NCL talks about LA batteries - not exactly sure they're talking about SLA though

I'm confused - what will the insurance provider do if NCL only accepts gel batteries and her scooter uses SLA batteries??????????? :confused: Are you saying she can cancel the trip and get her money back? They'll buy her a gel battery? Sorry to be so dense, I just can't figure out the insurance angle.

Thought perhaps the batteries could be changed to the "approved" type.

I read it to mean that she should check in with her health insurance company to see if they would reimburse for the purchase of new batteries.

AH! I see. I had no idea that health insurance could possibly be used... I was thinking it was trip insurance. Thanks both.

BTW, Katisdale - I ordered a TravelScoot of my very own; it should arrive Thursday! yay....

When I was working, my physician prescribed a scooter for

my mobility situation. It was covered by my health

insurance - as were annual battery replacement. I had

to go to a medical supply place authorized by that health plan.

When I reached the time for Medicare (years later) -

another physician prescribed a power chair to better

meet my needs in my home . I believe the operative term is

"in my home" for Medicare for Medicare approval.

You need to go to a provider that accepts Medicare assignment -

which covers 80%. My supplemental health coverage

covers the remaining 20%. And your doctor must

complete a detailed questionnaire concerning your need

for a power chair (scooter) use in your home.

It's just the added "bonus" once I have the chair I can use

it on a cruise. However, I'm worried about transporting

my chair on the airlines - so I rent a power chair to be delivered

to the ship. I was successful several years ago to

travel via air to a ship with my scooter with no problems.

But I had some mobility with crutches then - if something

were to happen to the scooter. I'm not willing to take

a chance with my power chair on an airline these days.

Star - thank you so much for the enlightenment. (I didn't think you could take a scooter out of the house if Medicare paid for it so I didn't bother to pursue that avenue.) This is very good information to have! I have read on these boards where some folks travel with both a scooter and a transport chair. I can't imagine adding one more thing to the packing list of that size/shape! Thanks again.

Star - thank you so much for the enlightenment. (I didn't think you could take a scooter out of the house if Medicare paid for it so I didn't bother to pursue that avenue.) This is very good information to have! I have read on these boards where some folks travel with both a scooter and a transport chair. I can't imagine adding one more thing to the packing list of that size/shape! Thanks again.

Sometimes no knowledge is ok ? ! Soon after my disability retirement a very

good friend invited me on a cruise around South America. I fortunately already

had a Passport and decided I might not have that opportunity again. It was meant

to be as we were able to book an accessible cabin.

Fortunately this cruise was part of a group and the tour guide was extremely

helpful in meeting needs for me and my scooter during tours. I didn't know

until the end of the cruise that the tour guide even figured out how to connect

my battery in my scooter. The airlines at that time had taken the batteries

out of the scooter and placed them in special boxes for the long flights.

So it never crossed my mind that I couldn't take the scooter out of the country.

But I had used it numerous times for shopping, sightseeing, dinners, etc.

I think the "rule" is one cannot expect insurance to pay for a scooter/power

chair for things like a cruise - shopping, etc. One must need it for daily

activities within your home; definitely a necessity for me. Obviously this

could depend on your own personal insurance. Pretty sure that is the rule

for Medicare.

I spoke to my sales rep on the phone, she read to me the manual that says only gel batteries are allowed. Looks like we'll be using the manual chair. I can't afford to replace good batteries just for 1 weeks vacation.

I was reading info on recycling today and they lumped gel batteries with SLAs. So, perhaps it's worth a check with the battery company as there's a possibility the term "gel battery" is synomous with "SLA': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery Could be you're ok after all with that SLA!

Does this help?

"What is the difference between a gel cell, an AGM and an SLA battery?

A gel cell or gelled electrolyte is a sealed battery containing semi-solid electrolyte and may also be identified as a sealed lead acid, AGM(absorbed glass mat) or VRLA type battery. AGM batteries are sometimes referred to as starved electrolyte because the fiberglass mat contained within the cell is saturated only 95% with acid and there is no excess liquid. Nearly all AGM batteries are VRLA or valve regulated. VRLA batteries are designed with a valve that allows the battery to keep a slight positive pressure."

From batterywholesale.com/slabatfaq.html#9

I have a Pride Go-Go scooter, which is the rental scooter that the rental people use. There is no gell cell battery available, to my knowledge, for them. They are all sealed lead acid and they are in a pull off container that has about 12 screws in it which must be removed to see the actual batteries. The lead acid batteries in this scooter are approved for flying and are able to be sent by UPS. I don't think anyone is going to take your scooter apart to check batteries.

If it has water holes on top, I can see where it would be refused but not the sealed ones.

• 8 years later...
21 minutes ago, ChiAngie said:

A valve-regulated lead-acid battery (VRLA battery) sometimes called sealed lead-acid (SLA), gel cell, or maintenance free battery[1]. 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery

This thread is  NINE years old.

Not only might the OP no longer be reading (or in need of the answer!), but anything with technology... things would have changed enough that there wouldn't be compatability, etc.

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple