How far is the walk to Bodden Tours in Roatan

travel12

I would imagine they would send a car or van to pick you up outside of the port area. Thats what they did in the old area. Victor had a sign and took us to a van, and introduced us and turned us over to a great driver and went back to hold up his sign and greet people.

It is a pretty steep hill just outside of the port area of Mahogany Bay. I walked it just for fun and to check it out.

If there are several people in your party let them walk over the hill to meet with the van. Then they can come pick you up. I too have trouble walking and this is what we did. They cannot pick you up unless they have passengers in their van. Not sure why. So my sister and few others walked to meet the tour guide then they came back around and picked me up. Then when they return you they will drop you right off at the pier area. You will have to walk a short distance from the ship to where they can pick you up though. I had some trouble walking even that far but took my time. It's probably not that far but seems like it if you have trouble walking. It's through the shopping area to the place of pick up. Hope this helps.

My husband has trouble walking long distances. The pier at Roatan was a nightmare for us. The minute we exited the ship, he looked at the walk to the port village and said, " I can't do this." We had a tour arranged with Rony's tours with 8 others from the group we were with.

I immediately asked if a wheelchair was available,which it was, so I began pushing my husband. ( I have an arthritic knee.) As we reached the incline toward the village, a man came along and offered to push my husband. Once we got into the shop we were told we could leave the wheelchair there. There is more of a walk to get to the exit where Carnival excursions and taxis are located, but someone from the shop pushed my husband to the exit. Yes, someone from our group, who were all waiting for us, walked out and our tour guide could drive back in to pick us up.

When we returned, we walked back to the shop where the wheelchair was awaiting us. The same young man pushed my husband all the way back to the entrance of the ship. I'm including a picture that shows the man pushing my husband back to the ship. The ship backed into the port so you walk almost the 900+ length of the ship before you head up the slight incline to the shops. I don't seem to have that photo available for sharing, sorry.

Before we cruised, I was concerned about the walk. A number of people on the boards said, " Oh, it's not that bad." Bad is in the legs, knees and backs of those who have mobility issues. At ages 67 and 71, it was a challenge, but we did enjoy our tour of beautiful Roatan.

My advice, talk to someone in guest services to use a wheel chair to get to the exit into the parking lot. We were fortunate one was available right there when we needed it otherwise we would have been on the ship for the day. Aslong as you have a plan, you will be fine. Roatan is a beautiful island, it is just too bad that Carnival has made it so difficult for those who are physically challenged to fully enjoy the tours that are offered.

Day5Roatan_0018.jpg

You just walk around until you find your guide. It can take a couple minutes with all the other tours, but just look at each vendor and determine if they are looking for you. Your guide will be :D.

FYI - there is no "Bodden Tours" physical location that I know of. You go to your guide where he/she stands and then take off in a vehicle.

Carnival has made it very hard for private tours to have access to Mahogany Bay. You are very lucky that your van driver was able to enter the area. I have heard of instances where they were not able to enter, stranding passengers that were not able to make the long walk up the hill.

I really wish that they would reconsider this (let Victor Bodden and the rest of the private tour companies into Mahogany Bay)!

We just got back Saturday and had to walk to Victors vans. We had brought tons of supplies for the orphanage so it was a LONG walk for us mid 50 yr. old's..ha. It would not have been so bad if it wasn't for the heat..it was HOT. Other than that we had the best driver ever, Hanno. He spoke wonderful English and took us ALL around the island. We did zip lining on Victors property and had the most fun of our lives. It was beautiful flying through the air on his land. We had so much fun playing with his monkeys, birds and deer. You will love anything you do with his company.

I don't remember exactly, but it may have been about a 10 minute walk for us from the ship. It didn't feel like very much, but we recognized that it could be a problem for anyone who doesn't get around very well. But, it's not like it's several miles or anything like that. I would guess around 1/4 mile from the ship. The driver can drop you off inside the gates, after the tour is over, so the walk back would be the same as with any excursion. Bodden tours are amazing! Prepare to fall in love with that amazing island!

Carnival would be willing to let Bodden and others inside the gates, but the tour companies would then have to more than double the price of their tours, because of how much money they'd have to pay Carnival. The tour companies don't want to have to do that to us.

Here are a few pictures of the hill. The first one is just as you leave the port area:

Copy%20of%20Dream%20Cruise%202010%20065.jpg

Dream%20Cruise%202010%20066.jpg

They met us just over the hill, but you can tell from this picture we still had a ways to walk to get to our vehicle.

Copy%20of%20Dream%20Cruise%202010%20067-1.jpg

This picture shows most of the walk from the ship. Once you leave the building with the blue roof, you walk up the path, through the little shopping area, and continue to the top left of the picture. Our group was aged 4-58, and even though we are all in good health, my DH has issues with his knees. He was able to do it, but along with the heat and humidity in June, it was no fun for him!

096.JPG

Archived