Kindle Experimental Web Browser

jmstover

We just got back from a Western Med/Egypt cruise on Navigator. Just a little tip: We were able to use our Kindle's experimental web browser to check our e-mail and surf the Internet for free on the ship. It's a 3G Kindle, not just the wireless version.

It was super, super slow. But when you're just sitting on the back deck on a sea day then what else is there to do?!

A guy sitting beside me was from Canada and his Kindle did not have this feature. We bought ours a couple of months ago so either his was an older version or it had something to do with him buying it in Canada.

We went to Italy, Greece, Turkey, and Egypt and it seemed to work in every country but Turkey. And it worked on sea days when we were nowhere near land.

Just an FYI. . .

John

Thanks for the information. I had heard that it worked on these cruises, but was skeptical. Your report adds another positive - I'm still going to download every book that I want to read on the trip, but it's nice to know that I might be able to check e-mail while we're at sea. :)

Just wanted to say that your review of your cruise was the best I've ever read. I burst out laughing several times reading it--thanks!

I’m slaving away on this review just so you can be an informed traveler and Sarah is sitting beside me playing Angry Birds on her iPod Touch and listening to the comedian Mitch Hedberg.

Reverse the roles, and that is my husband and I, EXACTLY. :D Wish you were going to be on our navigator cruise next week, I think we'd get along excellently!

(PS - I think you went on an Eastern Med cruise though, not a western one!)

Cujosmom, it was I-want-to-stab-myself-in-the-eye-with-a-pencil kind of slow.

If you just want to quickly check and respond to e-mails then it was fine. But I like to upload pics to Facebook during the trip so I went ahead and got one of the Internet packages. But it was fun to sit on the pool deck and just quickly read any e-mails.

In all seriousness, it was a bit slower than dial-up. . .

John

We just got back from a Western Med/Egypt cruise on Navigator. Just a little tip: We were able to use our Kindle's experimental web browser to check our e-mail and surf the Internet for free on the ship. It's a 3G Kindle, not just the wireless version.

It was super, super slow. But when you're just sitting on the back deck on a sea day then what else is there to do?!

A guy sitting beside me was from Canada and his Kindle did not have this feature. We bought ours a couple of months ago so either his was an older version or it had something to do with him buying it in Canada.

We went to Italy, Greece, Turkey, and Egypt and it seemed to work in every country but Turkey. And it worked on sea days when we were nowhere near land.

Just an FYI. . .

John

John, thanks for coming back and telling us that it does work. My DH will be very happy over this.

Laura

Archived