ACK! National General Strike in Spain!

auntdot

We are scheduled on BA to fly September 29 YYZ - LHR (arriving Sept 30) and then LHR - BCN on September 30. If this planned National General strike, set for September 29 does occur, can anyone advise what we should do?

I have called BA and no one has heard anything about a strike! They don't want to speculate. Does BA have any obligation to get us onward? I am concerned that people on flights scheduled for the day of the strike to fly to BCN and cancelled will take priority and we might get stuck in LHR on September 30! Our ship leaves Otober 1 and I really want to be on it!

:confused:

Thanks for any help!

Auntdot

If this planned National General strike, set for September 29 does occur, can anyone advise what we should do?

I have called BA and no one has heard anything about a strike! They don't want to speculate. Does BA have any obligation to get us onward? I am concerned that people on flights scheduled for the day of the strike to fly to BCN and cancelled will take priority and we might get stuck in LHR on September 30!

Even if the strike goes ahead, you should fly as planned. You will definitely get as far as LHR without problems. If there is no strike on 30 September and flights are running normally, those who have confirmed reservations for 30 September will have priority and won't get bumped to make way for people whose flights were cancelled the previous day.

And BA has a contractual obligation to get you to BCN in any event, so you will not simply be abandoned at LHR.

In any event, the news suggests that the response to the strike call is likely to be patchy.

Even if the strike goes ahead, you should fly as planned. You will definitely get as far as LHR without problems. If there is no strike on 30 September and flights are running normally, those who have confirmed reservations for 30 September will have priority and won't get bumped to make way for people whose flights were cancelled the previous day.

And BA has a contractual obligation to get you to BCN in any event, so you will not simply be abandoned at LHR.

In any event, the news suggests that the response to the strike call is likely to be patchy.

Thank you so much, Globaliser, for your encouraging response! You always give such good advice, and willingly share your vast knowledge of the air travel world here on CC. I really appreciate the information. Now we shall just hope that our flights and connection go smoothly. Even a bit of a delay in LHR is better than trying to catch up with a ship that has sailed!!!

Many thanks,

Auntdot

The sense here in Spain is that it is likely to be a damp squid ; the unions are asking the public not to go shopping on the 29th so we will stock up for the coming month that day! Just like the threatened BA Christmas strike, Don't worry, be happy! On that topic, the 'leader' of the BA strikers has just had an interview (without coffee) with Mr Plod at Heathrow, concerning certain aspects of his behaviour.

Archived