Thing that I found a bit silly with Manhattan Room on Epic first night

UK_Cruiser

They decided it would be a good idea to accomodate a group of 75 diners.

Now don't get me wrong it's good that they offer this service where possible but to the detriment of others ? Resulted in 40 minute wait for a table.

Last week they had a group of 45 to accomodate as well. Waitresses said it is a nightmare when this happens as it slows down service throughout the restaurant particularly as the Galley is downstairs from Manhattan behind Taste. Isn't it a tad unreasonable for a group of 75 to want to dine all at once at 8:30 in the evening ?

Waitresses said it is a nightmare when this happens as it slows down service throughout the restaurant particularly as the Galley is downstairs from Manhattan behind Taste. Isn't it a tad unreasonable for a group of 75 to want to dine all at once at 8:30 in the evening ?

Maybe......but it may also be a tad unreasonable for any line to build a galley that far away from their main restaurant and still expect their staff to provide great service to their customers no matter how many there are. Longer walks = longer waits, colder food.

Maybe......but it may also be a tad unreasonable for any line to build a galley that far away from their main restaurant and still expect their staff to provide great service to their customers no matter how many there are. Longer walks = longer waits, colder food.

I'm nodding here although food was never cold.

No. But it is unreasonable that NCL doesn't have a good way to handle this.

Perfect answer. As a meeting planner who handles large groups, I agree with you. It is not fair for non group passengers to be unpleasantly impacted by a large group dining in one venue, so if NCL is going to book groups, they need to figure it out. There are options, set menus, limited menus, pre orders etc to relieve the pressure on the galley. Land based restaurants that handle group dining, do it all the time and with success.

Perfect answer. As a meeting planner who handles large groups, I agree with you. It is not fair for non group passengers to be unpleasantly impacted by a large group dining in one venue, so if NCL is going to book groups, they need to figure it out. There are options, set menus, limited menus, pre orders etc to relieve the pressure on the galley. Land based restaurants that handle group dining, do it all the time and with success.

These people just turned up on the first night around 8:15 asking for a group of 75 to be seated. So people were leaving the dining room but nobody allowed in until there was at least room for the group of 75 to be seated.

Consequently when BMG 7PM crowd turned up around 8:25 a large line accumulated of around 50-60 or so diners. People were told up to a 40 minute wait due to a party of 75 and were given the option to go elsewhere or take a bleeper. Problem was that Taste was also very busy that night with it being first night. Once we eventually got seated in Manhattan it was Chaos.

Still I suppose hats off to NCL Staff for trying to keep everyone happy, they did their best.

Not to hijack but this was the exact reason I didn't want to schedule our roll call group for a dinner. We are now at group of about 70 and when I asked about doing a luncheon in a MDR on the Sun I was told by the group coordinator that she could only schedule dinner seatings.

I shook my head as I thought it would be a lot less difficult to do a lunch seating as it wouldn't be so busy in the MDR at that time. I as anticipating the Maitre D' having a fit as a bunch of us showed up at one time and doing dinner, and blocking out other diners.

The situation has been resolved and the events coodinator went beyond what was asked for, so things should work out well. (Knock on wood!) ;)

These people just turned up on the first night around 8:15 asking for a group of 75 to be seated. So people were leaving the dining room but nobody allowed in until there was at least room for the group of 75 to be seated.

Consequently when BMG 7PM crowd turned up around 8:25 a large line accumulated of around 50-60 or so diners. People were told up to a 40 minute wait due to a party of 75 and were given the option to go elsewhere or take a bleeper. Problem was that Taste was also very busy that night with it being first night. Once we eventually got seated in Manhattan it was Chaos.

Still I suppose hats off to NCL Staff for trying to keep everyone happy, they did their best.

Wow. Sounds chaotic and badly managed. I had assumed it was an organized dining experience for a group booking similar to the events that I work on. I did not realize that it was "unplanned". It is unreasonable for 75 people to show up and expect to be seated and served as a group.

Archived