Intro to Taxi 101

BeccaBecca1713

Next month DH and I are going on our 4th cruise. Up until now, we have always played it safe and did ship-sponsored excursions. This time around we've decided to hit up the beaches in Cayman and Cozumel on our own, thus our first experience using taxis. I've heard horror stories from lots of people, but since joining CC and gathering so much helpful info I'm finally comfortable in utilizing the taxis. But I have a question or two. Do you pay them the fare before you get in the taxi or after you've arrived at your destination? In general, just give me a run down of what to expect. Your help is greatly appreciated!!:)

Agree to the fare before the trip (and many ports have signs which will let you know what the fare to various locations should be, so know the proper fare before you even talk to the driver), and pay when you arrive at your destination. Do remember to set the fare before you leave, though, so there can be no "misunderstanding" at the destination.

Next month DH and I are going on our 4th cruise. Up until now, we have always played it safe and did ship-sponsored excursions. This time around we've decided to hit up the beaches in Cayman and Cozumel on our own, thus our first experience using taxis. I've heard horror stories from lots of people, but since joining CC and gathering so much helpful info I'm finally comfortable in utilizing the taxis. But I have a question or two. Do you pay them the fare before you get in the taxi or after you've arrived at your destination? In general, just give me a run down of what to expect. Your help is greatly appreciated!!:)

We usually pay as we are exiting the taxi. We've had times where we pre-arranged a pick-up time and the driver would not accept $$ for either ride until we are back at the ship.

It's always a good idea to discuss the amount before jumping into a taxi.

You should not have a problem at either port.

We have been to both many times and only used taxis.....

Cozumel has more taxis than sand...so no worries getting one back to the ship as long as you are on the West side (where downtown and all the beach resorts are)...

Grand Cayman is fine as well.

Rule of thumb...just confirm "how much" before you get in and pay when you get out....

also...keep your watch on SHIP time....ignore the local time...

Have a great time in both ports....

Like the others stated, in some of the more establish tourist ports (Cozumel, St. Martin,etc) the taxi associations regulated pricing that posted for the most common places and tours. Cozumel is one of these ports.

If you are going somewhere very popular like Paradise Beach, and willing to share the taxi van, the pricing can be cheaper. Other places like Freeport will fill a taxi van before leaving.

You can get one with you and your husband, but the pricing will be higher.

In other ports, you need to establish a price for where you are going. Head to the "Ports" board to find out the average cost.

Also, you will pay once you get where you are going.

Also if you are going somewhere that really not visited by most tourist, make arrangements for the taxi to return. While some of the beach resorts have taxis waiting around, others may not.

Hope this info helps!

Archived