Memory: People trying to be nice but failing.

SJChaput

I haven't been on this forum since the lead up to my last cruise which was also my first cruise and my honeymoon.

Thinking back I remember a story about tipping extra to good stewards. All very nice people who do decide to give extra to hard working people but one story stuck out the most out of all of them.

Now before I tell it I want to say that the person involved seemed like a really nice person who had nothing but the best intentions and just plain didn't see what they were doing was rude. So I hold nothing against her for it I just think its a funny example of when good intentions go kind of wrong.

The person (I don't remember who it was) was a very generous tipper who went out of their way to compensate the people helping her. However the way they went about doing it was they would hide money around the room in a playful fashion to have the stewards hunt for it. Like hide it under pillows, tape it to a string on the ceiling and the like.

Sounds like a fun and nice thing to YOU but isn't it kinda demeaning that you're making hard working men and women hunt for their tips? They earned this money and its kinda insulting I think that you're making them jump through hoops to get what you think they deserve.

Obviously there is no malice here and it isn't a big offense or anything but I just thought it was memorable.

Point of this thread, I don't know... But I am bored at work and thought I would share it.

Does anyone else have any funny stories of when good intentions go a little bad?

From what I remember the steward was made aware of the game.

I feel bad mentioning it because the person doing it had NOTHING but good intentions but it still makes me laugh.

Its like making a dog sit before you give him a treat...

If you're going to tip extra, WONDERFUL you're a very nice person but just give them the money and treat them with the respect they deserve. :D

Its like making a dog sit before you give him a treat...

I always make my dog sit for a treat or dance around the room, trying to teach him to roll over right now..:D..don't think it's quite the same as making a human search for a reward..since the human can understand what's going on..the dog on the other hand knows whats coming...JMHO

Stewards or hotel housekeepers for that matter are not allowed to take hidden money.......I call b.s.

I'm only going on a story I read here... As for its validity I can't say.

But they said they had money taped to walls and dangling from strings.

I agree it sounds like BS.. and if it's true, totally demeaning and stupid!

Stewards have got enough to do without playing stupid hunting games... and...

How would they be expected to know the difference between $$ fallen under the bed, or hidden under the bed??

Archived