Purchasing Vanilla

Edmund DeWinter

So I will be visiting with my wife and mother and, for certain, we will be wanting to stock up on the mythical Mexican Vanilla while we're there.

Three questions:

1. Where is the best place to get the best deal?

2. What should we look for to make sure we're getting the "good stuff"?

3. What should we look for to make sure we're not getting "bad stuff"?

Just make sure you are buying pure vanilla bean. Many times they use tonka beans instead and tonka beans contain coumarin.

How do you know which ones are pure vanilla bean products? I'd bet my wife will be interested in buying some, she always looks for Danncy's clear vanilla at the local bodegas we run across. She likes it for homemade frosting, and I load up the waffle batter with it.

Also, tequila, is it cheaper there? If so, where to buy? It would be great if the same store sold both items!

• 2 weeks later...

Vanilla in Mexico comes not from the Yucatan but from the Veracruz region (currently underwater due to flooding there) and so I agree with hdawson that best place to buy it is Cinco Soles if you must buy it in Mexico. I am sure you can get excellent Mexican vanilla at your local Whole Foods store at a better price in the US. It is not a product used much here because of the cost of the real thing. So unless you are going to Veracruz, check whole foods first.

As for tequila, this is not a local product either and is brought in from central and northern Mexico. The good stuff you will find not in Progreso but in Merida, at a specialty shop called COVI. I recommend Herradura Reposado which is a good sipping tequila and runs about 20 dollars a bottle. This brand is also available at most supermarkets in Merida, like Comercial Mexicana and Walmart. Los Cinco Soles, due to their privileged locations, has a huge markup on all their items.

Happy shopping! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Vanilla in Mexico comes not from the Yucatan but from the Veracruz region (currently underwater due to flooding there) and so I agree with hdawson that best place to buy it is Cinco Soles if you must buy it in Mexico. I am sure you can get excellent Mexican vanilla at your local Whole Foods store at a better price in the US. It is not a product used much here because of the cost of the real thing. So unless you are going to Veracruz, check whole foods first.

As for tequila, this is not a local product either and is brought in from central and northern Mexico. The good stuff you will find not in Progreso but in Merida, at a specialty shop called COVI. I recommend Herradura Reposado which is a good sipping tequila and runs about 20 dollars a bottle. This brand is also available at most supermarkets in Merida, like Comercial Mexicana and Walmart. Los Cinco Soles, due to their privileged locations, has a huge markup on all their items.

Happy shopping! :)

For Herradura Reposado for $20 we might be inclined to take the public bus into Merida. Would you mind giving us directions to COVI?

COVI, and their extensive selection of liquors and spirits, is located on the Paseo de Montejo (Prolongacion) in a small shopping plaza between Burger King and the Ford dealership.

Reposado can also be bought at the Comercial Mexicana supermarket located in the Gran Plaza mall right at the entrance to Merida when coming in from Progreso. Look for the Sears or Starbucks signs on your left. Better price will be here, more selection at COVI, including miniature bottles and a selection of Mezcal as well.

Archived