Tours in St Petersburg, Russia

beachbumer55

We did the ships tours which includes your visas. We spent the day at the Hermitage (my wife is an artist). It was beautiful, but not really what I wanted to do. After getting back to the ship we heard stories of the tours folks took where you visited the subway and also visited a Russian family for lunch. They said these tours were fantastic and once-in-a-lifetime experiences. If you have a chance. go on a tour that includes seeing the Russian life. The subways stations are works of art.

Now, I know lots of folks travel to Russia with no problems but just a thought on security. Each of our tours was accompanied by plain clothes security. There is some mafia style crime in Russia and you need to be careful. If you book on your own, just be careful. We had a friend who had a bad experience in a taxi in Moscow.

Have a great trip. :)

Smart-Travelers

http://www.*****

• 2 weeks later...
If I get a visa with the tour operator, will I be allowed out of port without them? We have 3 full days in ST Petersburg and wanted to just tour during the 2 days and on the 3rd day just explore on our own.

Sorry..the blanket visa from your private tour company that will cover you while in St Petersburg is restricted and you "must" be with them..you cannot go out and about on your own..Russia is unlike other countries/ports....We did a private active 2 day tour with TJ Travel that was beyond belief..Enjoy Russia !!!

Whilst it would be fun to use that 3rd day to explore on your own, especially as you will know you way round a bit from your first 2 days, as Ashland says, it not possible. However I am very envious of you having 3 days. I did this on my 2 days :

The Catherine Palace at Pushkin

St Isaac's Cathedral

Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood

The Winter Palace/Hermitage State Museum

The Fountains of Peterhof

Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral

which was absolutely magnificent but I would have sold my granny for an extra day, or even 2 more, because there's so much to see. So just book a 3 day tour and soak it up (and spare a thought for us poor souls who only had 2 days)

My other ports on this cruise :

Copenhagen

Tallin

Helsinki

Suomenlinna (Fortress of Finland)

Stockholm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NweRnGqZ1k

Royal Warship Vasa & the Vasa Museum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x45l1WMZOXA

All the best

Tony

Archived