Car Rental Dropoff MIA with shuttle to POM

rikatine

Rented a car from Dollar for dropoff at MIA counting on a shuttle to be available to POM but have read conflicting information about the shuttle being discontinued or due to be discontinued.

Would appreciate the latest information. I have read the current threads and just want to get more input.

The shuttles are still running, but not a good way to go - I finally got the info after booking my RETURN rental car - the shuttles are no longer allowed to go in to the cruise terminals. Instead, they stop on the road, outside of where port security is. Does not sound like a fun walk with the luggage - we plan to take a taxi ($24) from airport to POM and from POM back to airport car rental counter. (we fly into FLL)

If you're renting a car, DO NOT choose port of miami as your location - the fees for rental will be about $9 more than airport pickup and you still have to walk to the road to get the shuttle. (they have to pay the port per rental reserved with that pickup location)

Per the Thrifty agent, they won't check to see whether your reservation says POM or MIA - you can ride the shuttle either way if you want to - but with 3 kids and my mom along, we'll cab it (or one or two of us will go get the car and come back and pick everyone else up.

Rented a car from Dollar for dropoff at MIA counting on a shuttle to be available to POM but have read conflicting information about the shuttle being discontinued or due to be discontinued.

Would appreciate the latest information. I have read the current threads and just want to get more input.

I just got back from a cruise Sept 19 so the info is very up to date. I cant speak for Dollar but I can assure you 100% that Alamo offers a shuttle service from MIA rental car complex to the POM for free (with rental documents showing you rented a car). The shuttle takes you right to the porters at the pier (the same place cabs and cars drop people off) so handling luggage is very easy. (A fullsize rental with Alamo was $29 + tax)

You pick up the POM shuttle at the very west end of the complex. There is a small sign on a stand or just ask any employee outside.

Edited by new22003

I just got back from a cruise Sept 19 so the info is very up to date. I cant speak for Dollar but I can assure you 100% that Alamo offers a shuttle service from MIA rental car complex to the POM for free (with rental documents showing you rented a car). The shuttle takes you right to the porters at the pier (the same place cabs and cars drop people off) so handling luggage is very easy. (A fullsize rental with Alamo was $29 + tax)

You pick up the POM shuttle at the very west end of the complex. There is a small sign on a stand or just ask any employee outside.

Thank you for the current info. My sisters rental is from Alamo for the trip so we are relieved that the shuttle is still available.

I emailed Dollar, and it seems like they still have one running...As with anything current info from people who have just recently returned is reassuring.

• 7 months later...

I'm looking for same info and hoping for update. We plan to rent a car at Fort lauderdale airport and it may be best to drop off at MIA and take free shuttle to POM. Has anyone done this? We'll be flying in the day before cruise and staying in FLL for one night - then heading to Miami.

thanks for any updates.

I just returned from a cruise, we rented from dollar from Ft. Lauderdale and returned to Miami airport, they have a shuttle service, very reliable, air conditioned and clean, when u drop off, go to the 3rd floor, walk to the end, those r where the pier shuttles are at.....:cool:

I just returned from a cruise, we rented from dollar from Ft. Lauderdale and returned to Miami airport, they have a shuttle service, very reliable, air conditioned and clean, when u drop off, go to the 3rd floor, walk to the end, those r where the pier shuttles are at.....:cool:

Thanks for the info Tasha 78. We will be sailing from POM in December. Last year when we sailed from POM were told only Hertz offered shuttle service and only from their downtown location. I do have a question for you regarding shuttles. The area where one picks up the shuttles to the POM at the airport, are the shuttles from individual car rental agencies or is it just a general one for all who rent or return a rental car? Greatly appreciate your remarks. Thanks a million

Thanks for the information. My question is this: will the shuttle drop you off directly where the taxi cabs and charter buses would drop you off at? We will be doing a one way rental from FLL and returning the car to MIA. We are sailing from POM. We are trying to find the easiest way that will not cost us much money. Will the shuttle take us back to FLL from POM? Any suggestions or input is great!!!:)

I'm looking for same info and hoping for update. We plan to rent a car at Fort lauderdale airport and it may be best to drop off at MIA and take free shuttle to POM. Has anyone done this? We'll be flying in the day before cruise and staying in FLL for one night - then heading to Miami.

thanks for any updates.

I'd been using Dollar for a number of years to shuttle to POM, and this past October 2nd, 2010 (see below) I learned the hard way that they do not offer shuttle service anymore. Alamo and Thifty still do. We begged our way onto Thrifty's shuttle, but you shouldn't expect the same luck. This June I'm going with Thrifty. I believe no other rental car companies have shuttle service to POM from MIA. Hertz does have a location downtown that provides shuttle service to POM.

I'd been using Dollar for a number of years to shuttle to POM, and this past October 2nd, 2010 (see below) I learned the hard way that they do not offer shuttle service anymore. Alamo and Thifty still do. We begged our way onto Thrifty's shuttle, but you shouldn't expect the same luck. This June I'm going with Thrifty. I believe no other rental car companies have shuttle service to POM from MIA. Hertz does have a location downtown that provides shuttle service to POM.

I read a few bad reviews on Thrifty so i'm not sure if i should go with them or not. I used Alamo before but they are a little more expensive than Thrifty. Have you used Thrifty before?

Thifty and Dollar are owned by the same company. On Saturday,March 19th,2011 I dropped off a Dollar vehicle at the Rental Car Center at Miami International Airport and took their free shuttle to the Port Of Miami for my seven day cruise on the Carnival Liberty. On Saturday, March 26th,2011 at the end of my cruise I again got on the free shuttle operated by Dollar and Thifty and returned to the Rental Car Center. There was absolutely no problem with the entire process and on the return trip at 9:00AM there was only my two cousins and myself on the shuttle. I have read on earlier posts that the driver sometimes ask for the rental car reservation prior to entering the shuttle. No one asked me for any paperwork in reference to my reservation. The customer service representative at Dollar told me that they were scheduled to process seven hundred reservations within a twenty four hour period. Who says that business is slow.

I will be renting a car from FLL and returning it on embarkation day to MIA. I called Alamo in MIA and they assured me that they still do have the free shuttle service from MIA to POM, and that they let you out right where the Carnival porters are handling the luggage. I agree that Alamo is a little more pricey, but you can't really put a price on having a piece of mind. This is a vacation. Things like this should not be a concern. I am glad that I am finding all of these helpful tips out. These boards are really helping to make this trip much more enjoyable for me than my previous trip where I knew nothing about any of this:)

Quick question for those who have used Dollar - did you choose the Miami-Cruise Port Only Pickup option or did you chose just MIA?

When I priced out and reserved for the cruise in Sept (picking up at FLL) and chose MIA it didn't charge me a one-way drop charge, but I don't want to have a problem with the shuttle just in case...

Thanks for your input

Sue

• 5 months later...

We booked a rental car with Thrifty from POM to Fort Lauderdale Airport.

I understand there is a shuttle from POM to Car Rental in downtown Miami.

We wanted the car to stop at Hollywood Beach as our flight does not leave until the evening from FLL.

Has anyone done the Thrifty rental from POM? Any concerns?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

does any one know if there are taxis at the MIA car rental terminal and if so how much id the fare, or do we have to take the shuttle back to the airport to grab a cab. Thanks

• 1 year later...
does any one know if there are taxis at the MIA car rental terminal and if so how much id the fare, or do we have to take the shuttle back to the airport to grab a cab. Thanks

Getting ready to rent a car in two weeks. Was also wondering if there are taxis at budget and do they charge the flat rate or do I have to go back to the airport baggage claim area?:confused:

The taxi fare between the Rental Car Center located across from Miami International Airport and the Port Of Miami is twenty four dollars plus tip. If you are renting a vehicle pre cruise, Dollar, Thifty, Alamo, and National have free shuttle service to the Port Of Miami. Avis, Budget, and Hertz have downtown Miami locations where you can drop off a vehicle before the start of your cruise. If you are renting a vehicle post cruise the four above mentioned companies also have free shuttle service from the Port Of Miami back to the Rental Car Center.

• 9 months later...
I'm booking either Alamo or Hertz precruise and dropiing car off the morning of the cruise. Could someone tell me if both free shuttles will take us all the way into the terminal not just to the gate?

SInce Hertz now owns Thrifty why don't you book Thrifty and take their shuttle

Thrifty/Dollar shuttle drops and picks up at port

Edited by jonbgd

I'm booking either Alamo or Hertz precruise and dropiing car off the morning of the cruise. Could someone tell me if both free shuttles will take us all the way into the terminal not just to the gate?

We booked with Alamo and took the free shuttle to port. They dropped us off right at the ship. The shuttles were full size buses and they run continuously so you don't have to wait for it to fill up before it leaves. It was super easy and convenient.