Khan al Khalili question

clraze

We'd really like to visit this. Could someone tell me if there is sort of map of the souq (spelled right?) , and are there hours we need to be aware of. I'd like to go in the evening, or early afternoon, but do they close for lunch? Has anyone bought glass there, the Muski glass? We have an overnight excursion with Ramses planned, and have enjoyed the souqs in Morocco. Do the guides go with you, or are you on your own? Thanks, I have learned so much from you experienced travelers!

LOL -- We have been there twice. I wouldn't venture two feet into it without a guide by my side! It is an amazing warren of twisting alleyways and shops scattered like blocks fallen out of a toy box! You will love it ... but stay with your guide! ;)

Mike the way you have organized all the data and photos from your trips is wonderful!!!!!!! You really put a lot of effort and heart into it.:) Thanks for sharing.:):):):)

Mike the way you have organized all the data and photos from your trips is wonderful!!!!!!! You really put a lot of effort and heart into it.:) Thanks for sharing.:):):):)

Aw, thanks for those kind words. I trust you did find the picture of lunch at the great kebab restaurant inside Khan el Khalili at http://www.bully4.us/holyland2.html#egypt

We went by ourselves on a Saturday night. Wandered around the public/tourist areas, had dinner at Negib Mafouz. We then decided to really go off the tourist path, and ended up spending at least an hour walking around the non-tourist alleys and warrens. That's where the Egyptians shop. There were clothing stores, housewares stores, small grocers...It was like the Mall of America 1000 years ago. We were the only tourists, and were totally ignored. No vendors hawking wares, no shop keepers trying to draw us in. Just a few curious glances from families buying pots & pans, a couple buying a bedspread, 2 women purchasing laundry detergent.

Every one of the little byways in the bazaar eventually will lead out to a street. Since we didn't care where we ended, we knew we could just grab a cab back to our hotel, which we finally did when we got tired.

My sig. other was a little nervous, but for me it was interesting. I lived in NYC for over 20 years, so was less concerned. I actually felt more nervous in the touristy areas.

According to the concierge at our hotel, there are no actual maps of the bazaar. It's too big, and the little shops can change hands. But it's definitely worth experiencing if you have the time.

Archived