Direction for Canada Line Sky Train from Vancouver Airport (YVR) to downtown

cuatsea

We flew to Vancouver, BC for our cruise and I wanted to post how easy it was to use the Canada Line light rail Sky Train from the Vancouver airport (YVR) to our downtown hotel. I found it a bit difficult to get clear instructions prior to our trip, so I hope others might be encouraged to use it once they know how very simple and efficient the public transit is. Here is some information on how to take the Sky Train, Canada Line from the international arrival area of Vancouver Airport:

1. After going through immigration and picking up your luggage you will hand your landing card to an official and then exit towards the parking structure directly in front of you, just across the street. To the right of the parking structure you will see an escalator. Take the escalator up two flights, following the signs that say “Canada Line.”

2. At the top of the escalator you turn to the right. You will see machines that sell tickets. Warning: The day we were there they were not taking credit or debit cards, so we needed Canadian dollars. Luckily there was a staff person there that was able to exchange our US dollars for Canadian, but in future we will have Canadian dollars. Each ticket cost $7.50 Canadian.

3. The boarding platform is opposite the ticket machines. A train came almost immediately. All trains go to the Waterfront which is the end of the line near Canada Place, the cruise terminal. We were spending the night at the Sheraton Wall Centre, so we got off the train at City Centre and walked to our hotel.

We think we actually saved time using the Sky Train Canada Line rather than waiting for a taxi or shuttle. It is about a 20 minute ride, and you get to see a bit of Vancouver you might miss otherwise. The information booth at the airport is a great source of very clear directions, and there is lots of helpful staff at the light rail station. I was worried it might be uncomfortable to use the Sky Train if it was raining, but everything at that station was sheltered, so no worries. Enjoy your stay, Vancouver is a fun place!:)

Ut, the directions don't change much if you are coming from the Domestic Terminal its just that you approach it from the right or west side.

To the OP thanks for your directions... you are very close on the travel time, it is 26 mins from YVR to Waterfront to which you have to allow some walking to and from the stations and sometimes a bit of wait if you have just missed a train. A taxi ride is about 35 mins so the time is very close to a wash but the Canada Line for 2 persons about half the cost of a cab fare. You must have got the senior's rate or concession rate at $7.50 as the regular rate is $8.75 during peak hours on weekdays.

We flew to Vancouver, BC for our cruise and I wanted to post how easy it was to use the Canada Line light rail Sky Train from the Vancouver airport (YVR) to our downtown hotel. I found it a bit difficult to get clear instructions prior to our trip, so I hope others might be encouraged to use it once they know how very simple and efficient the public transit is. Here is some information on how to take the Sky Train, Canada Line from the international arrival area of Vancouver Airport:

1. After going through immigration and picking up your luggage you will hand your landing card to an official and then exit towards the parking structure directly in front of you, just across the street. To the right of the parking structure you will see an escalator. Take the escalator up two flights, following the signs that say “Canada Line.”

2. At the top of the escalator you turn to the right. You will see machines that sell tickets. Warning: The day we were there they were not taking credit or debit cards, so we needed Canadian dollars. Luckily there was a staff person there that was able to exchange our US dollars for Canadian, but in future we will have Canadian dollars. Each ticket cost $7.50 Canadian.

3. The boarding platform is opposite the ticket machines. A train came almost immediately. All trains go to the Waterfront which is the end of the line near Canada Place, the cruise terminal. We were spending the night at the Sheraton Wall Centre, so we got off the train at City Centre and walked to our hotel.

We think we actually saved time using the Sky Train Canada Line rather than waiting for a taxi or shuttle. It is about a 20 minute ride, and you get to see a bit of Vancouver you might miss otherwise. The information booth at the airport is a great source of very clear directions, and there is lots of helpful staff at the light rail station. I was worried it might be uncomfortable to use the Sky Train if it was raining, but everything at that station was sheltered, so no worries. Enjoy your stay, Vancouver is a fun place!:)

Glad you enjoyed it. A few notes;

• a full set of photos on how to do it is here: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#
  • A normal ticket M-F, until 6:30pm is actually $8.75 from the airport (two zones), $7.50 one zone kicks in after 6:30 and all day weekends. Back to the airport there isn't a $5 airport surcharge, so it's $3.75/$2.50
  • you can buy a book of 10 two-zone tickets at the 7-11 or Pharmasave inside the terminal building for $31.50 (there's no $5 surcharge on fare saver books). A great savings if you're going to use transit in Vancouver.

Archived