What to take Caribbean

Help my first cruise and have not got a clue what we need to take. Is it suit and tie in the restaurants or can you just wear trousers and shirt. Can you wear jeans at night in the club or disco. Do you go for your food in the day and get dressed up. I really have no idea, please advise:)

Help my first cruise and have not got a clue what we need to take. Is it suit and tie in the restaurants or can you just wear trousers and shirt. Can you wear jeans at night in the club or disco. Do you go for your food in the day and get dressed up. I really have no idea, please advise:)

First of all - relax! Help is at hand - lots of people here to give advice and help you look forward to your holiday. :)

Breakfast and lunch: jeans, shorts, whatever in either the dining room or Lido - it's very casual and relaxed, just your ordinary day clothes (All they ask is that you cover up i.e. don't go in your sunbathing gear/bare chests/hairy armpits - you get the idea :eek:).

Dinner: usually in the main dining room it's classed as 'smart casual' which for men they say should be long trousers with button-through shirt (mostly short sleeved especially in the Caribbean) or polo shirt and although some wear shirt and tie, it's not required or the majority choice. (Not really jeans in the main dining room although the odd one does turn up in jeans but looks a bit out of place).

In the self service jeans would be fine - it's your choice.

For the formal night in the main dining room, many wear DJs, a lot also wear suits and tie and a few shirt and jacket - a very few just shirt and tie - no jacket. But people do make a real effort for the formal night and take the opportunity to really dress up (only chance I get! :o ) and it is quite nice to see everyone in their finery.

If that isn't your scene at all - you can wear casual on formal night and eat in the Lido (self service restaurant.)

As far as the disco/night club goes jeans there will be quite ok.

Hope that answers your question. Look forward to your cruise - everything slots into place once you get there. :)

This will probably be my pack for a 14 night in the caribbean. It includes travel clothes.

8 short sleeve shirts for day wear

6 long/short sleeve shirts for evening

1 dress shirt for formal night

8 underwear

8 pairs socks

10 handkerchiefs

3 pairs of chinos

3 pairs of shorts

1 pair swim shorts

trainers

black shoes

deck shoes

dinner suit, bow tie etc etc

light weight rain jacket

sun hat

thats about it apart from bits and bobs.

If you are not going to formal night swop out the formal shirt for a normal casual one.

I will make use of the ships laundry at least twice as Destiny does not have a free launderette.

without the dinner suit this weighs less than 13KG including the weight of the case :)

I put my staying alive tablets, camera, binoculars etc etc in a small backpack to carry on the plane. I also buy the toiletries after passing through airport security to avoid the carrying liquids problems.

You will find jeans very hot to wear out on deck (e.g. at the deck party or just for a stroll round the prom) in the Caribbean. As you open the door to step outside the heat will hit you, even in the evening. You might be more comfortable in some lighter weight casual trousers.

During the day in the main restaurant and in indoor venues on the ship you will be fine in shorts but not a sleeveless top (for the men, though for ladies this is acceptable!).

What ship are you on and when?

Carol x

Archived