NCL Jewel Family Villa's, cabin selection question

roveer

We are considering one of the upcoming NCL Jewel cruises out of NYC. At present there are 5 of 8 "family Villas" available. These are:

Does anyone have any preference to these rooms? Are any better?. Some are at the front of the block of suites (behind the garden villa's) and some are in the middle, and some are at the back near the smaller suites. Any ideas of which might be better? If I'm going to plunk down that much $$$ and almost all of the rooms are available I might as well do my research and try and get the best sq ft.

If I

Thanks,

Roveer

Edited by roveer

We were in the first villa, but I can't imagine any of them being any better than the others. I read a comment that the shuffleboard players on the deck below could be noisy. I can't remember whether that was port or starboard, so check the deck plans. I would choose the side of the ship that would give you the most attractive views while in port or underway.

Does anyone have any preference to these rooms? Are any better?. Some are at the front of the block of suites (behind the garden villa's) and some are in the middle, and some are at the back near the smaller suites. Any ideas of which might be better? If I'm going to plunk down that much $$$ and almost all of the rooms are available I might as well do my research and try and get the best sq ft.

If I

Thanks,

Roveer

I learned this on Cruise Critic. If you look at deck13 there is a little "bump out" at midships. This means that for 14512 and 14512, which are aft of the "bump" the balcony looks straight down to the water. Those villas forward have a little awning sticking out 2-3 feet below their balcony. I don't know which is better as there may be trade-offs: better view of water vs. protection from beign viewed from below. As far as I know all of these have exactly the same square feet.

We've sailed the Gem twice.......once in Feb 09 in cabin 15500, the Deluxe Owners' Suite and once in Feb 10 in cabin 14101.......We really loved 14101, you're virtually 3 steps away from the courtyard.

Here is a link to some photos:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/576735205kCwuMQ?vhost=travel

We've booked the same cabin number on the Jewel for our Feb 2011 cruise from NYC and we can't wait!!

I learned this on Cruise Critic. If you look at deck13 there is a little "bump out" at midships. This means that for 14512 and 14512, which are aft of the "bump" the balcony looks straight down to the water. Those villas forward have a little awning sticking out 2-3 feet below their balcony. I don't know which is better as there may be trade-offs: better view of water vs. protection from beign viewed from below. As far as I know all of these have exactly the same square feet.

This is true. We stayed in 14506 once. We later stayed in 14512 twice and the view below was better in 14512

If it matters to you, rooms 6 and 10 (14006 and 14506, 14010, 14510) are basically across from the entry doors to the courtyard. I always take the 8 room which is in between. As pointed out by others 12 is further back and juts out a little.

There is no "awning" on the starboard side of the Jewel, but unless you lean over the railing of your balcony, no one can see you and you can't see anyone. And there is in fact shuffleboard noise on the starboard side. It might prevent you from dozing on your balcony, in which case head into the courtyard and sleep in the 3 oversized daybed/loungers they have in there!

Nothing like the courtyard in commercial cruising.

We've sailed the Gem twice.......once in Feb 09 in cabin 15500, the Deluxe Owners' Suite and once in Feb 10 in cabin 14101.......We really loved 14101, you're virtually 3 steps away from the courtyard.

Here is a link to some photos:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/576735205kCwuMQ?vhost=travel

We've booked the same cabin number on the Jewel for our Feb 2011 cruise from NYC and we can't wait!!

We were looking at Courtyard Villas and found your Webshots from the Gem 2010. Loved the beach on Page 7 169-181. Looked like you were docked in St. Maartin (or maybe Tortola).

We are also on the Jewel Feb. 2011 and we would love to go to that beach. Was it an NCL tour or something you did on your own. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

If it matters to you, rooms 6 and 10 (14006 and 14506, 14010, 14510) are basically across from the entry doors to the courtyard. I always take the 8 room which is in between. As pointed out by others 12 is further back and juts out a little.

There is no "awning" on the starboard side of the Jewel, but unless you lean over the railing of your balcony, no one can see you and you can't see anyone. And there is in fact shuffleboard noise on the starboard side. It might prevent you from dozing on your balcony, in which case head into the courtyard and sleep in the 3 oversized daybed/loungers they have in there!

Nothing like the courtyard in commercial cruising.

K, I'm a little confused. This post says the shuffleboard is on the Starboard side of the ship but when I look at the deckplans on the NCL website I see it on deck 13 port side. Is the deck plan incorrect? Have I had my port left, starboard right (looking down from above, deckplan view) screwed up for the past 10 years or did NCL in fact put the shuffleboard on the other side of the boat? In any event, sounds like 14512 is a nice room.

Roveer

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is old, but I figured it was better to bump this than to start a new one....

I currently have 14506 booked. 14512 is open.

Is there that much of a difference in the view? Should I change my cabin?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

I know this thread is old, but I figured it was better to bump this than to start a new one....

I currently have 14506 booked. 14512 is open.

Is there that much of a difference in the view? Should I change my cabin?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

We are sailing in two weeks in 14012. This will be our 4th cruise in this cabin. We also stayed previously in 14506. We prefer 14012 or 14512 as there is nothing below your balcony to obstruct your view looking down.

Roveer,

We stayed in 14508...ping pong directly below (did not bother me at all but it was a little chilly on our cruise so wasn't out there a whole bunch). Personally, I would pick a cabin nearest to the A4's so that there is no visible deck below. There was also a light outside near our cabin which I kinda liked! All the courtyard family villas are the same size I believe and the rooms are wonderful!

Coffeecat

Were you happy in 14008 ? - That's what we have booked for June -

It was a great location and I hope you are lucky enough to have the same staff we did. Eric was an amazing room steward Juremar the best butler, Zandra the assistant butler and Adrian the Concierge. I wanted to take them all home with me! It was our first NCL so I was bit hesitant not knowing what to expect. We will do it again but only in a CYV.

• 4 years later...
Hi We are on the Jewel, in The Haven. 2 bedroom family. Do the showers offer shampoo, conditioner and soap or do we bring our own?

THanks

You will have small individual bottles of Elemis shampoo, conditioner and body lotion and a shower cap and loofa. I think I remember small bars of hand soap, so I think there are bars for the shower as well. Each will be replaced as they are used.