Cruising with a 6, 4, and almost 2 year old - advice?

Momto3cuties

DH and I are thinking about taking a cruise for our 10th anniversary and plan to bring our children with us. (grandma and grandpa are seriously thinking about joining us as well)

We like the Southern Caribbean itinerary, but lots of ports. I think our children will be OK with it though - the older two are avid hikers and love all water, beach activities. Our youngest loves the outdoors, water, etc. - loves to be in a backpack carrier for hikes, too. I guess my question is do families take this cruise (we are looking at RCL) or is it mostly couples?

Of course there is no kids club for our youngest unless we do one of the newer ships with the nurseries. Not sure if any of my kids will be "into" the clubs - they tend to stick close to us on vacation. So, I don't want to pick a ship/itinerary based on that.

Anyone have any words of wisdom? Would love some feedback - especially if you think we are crazy to try this!

I highly recommend you get a balcony room so when the kids are asleep, you and your spouse can relax on the balcony.

Also you might want to pick a ship that has a baby splash zone so your youngest can enjoy splashing. Most ships do not have this and the little ones can't use the pools unless they are potty trained.

I think you will have a great family vacation. :D

I have done the southern route 3 times and have seen plenty of families.

Have you cruised before? You are going to be very crowded in one cabin so why not get 2 connecting cabins and this way you can have the kids in their own room and leave the door ajar between the 2 rooms.

So glad to hear there were plenty of families on this cruise. We were thinking of a suite, as our kids would just pile into one room anyhow! Like the idea of connecting with the two bathrooms, but really, I am the only one who takes more than 10 minutes to get ready :) I think it may be more important for us to have a balcony than two rooms - this way if the kids nap we can enjoy the outside. RCL says it would be no problem to put our under 2 year old in a pack and play - figuring it will be close quarters, but more than likely she will sleep with DH and I.

Anyone know if there are connecting rooms - one balcony, one inside?

I would see if you can swing a family room (oceanview, balcony or promenade) on one of the newer ships. These rooms sleep 6 and are more spacious. You (or your TA) have to call RCI directly to reserve them though. There are two or three (if you count the sofabed) separate sleeping areas and I love it with young kids. I much prefer it over two connecting rooms, especially with little ones.

Squeezing into one standard balcony room will be really tight with two adults and three kids. Add in the pack and play and there will be literally no room to stand up. Cruise staterooms are only half the size of a regular hotel room.

We cruised 2 yrs ago with our 3 children who were 12, almost 3 and 1. We did the Eastern Caribbean, and had a blast!! We had a regular balcony room that had a sofa bed and top bunk. The baby slept in a mini crib. It was a tight fit, but we managed just fine. My advice is to get the grandparents to join you! (Beg if you have to!) My in laws went along, got rooms next to ours and we were able to have one huge balcony, and they were a help with the kids. Especially if your little one won't be 2, and can't use the kid's club. ( We last sailed with Carnival, and they only have to be 2 to use it.) Having someone else with you to help keep an eye on the kids will give you and your husband a chance to get some grown up time. At the time, we weren't worried about getting any time on our own, but looking back we really wish we had taken more opportunities for a " date night." We're all going on a cruise again in March, this time with Princess and decided to 'upgrade' to a mini suite for the extra cabin space. I'm excited that all 3 kids will be able to go to the kid's club this time, and they are all excited to go there and have fun. You will all have a wonderful time and create life long memories - no matter which itinerary or ship you choose! :)

Families certainly cruise alot, especially on RCCL. You willlove it as there is something for everyone and everything is in close proximity. I would definitely choose balcony since you have an almost 2 yr old who still naps. That way you can enjoy the balcony while your little one naps.

Archived