Ship embarkation moved from Nice to Monaco

topkatz

Hi -

We were just informed that our cruise ship has changed embarkation ports from Nice to Monaco. We fly into Nice and have plans to stay in Nice for several days and had planned to walk to the port the morning of our embarkation (already put down a non-refundable deposit and don't want to shift to Monaco).

I understand we can take a taxi $$$$, the bus $ (#100, #100 express, #112) or train $. What I can't figure out is where the ship will be. From the Google maps and pictures of the port, the port seems too small even for the Seabourn Odyssey (651 feet).

Can anyone tell me how far it is from: 1) the bus station, 2) the train station in Monte Carlo to where the ship will berth? Is it within walking distance or will it require a taxi? If you can get off the bus earlier, what stop is closest to the port/ship berth? Are the any other cost effective alternatives (such as a hired car) that I should consider?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

From the train or bus station in Monte Carlo you would probably want to use a taxi to get to the port. But, if you take the #100 bus from Nice to Monoco, the bus does make a stop, along the road, at a location that is within a 1/2 mile walk to the ship (since you do not know the area it would be best to ask the driver and perhaps enlist the help of some of the bus passengers to find the right stop). Keep in mind that this walk is still some distance, but much of it is within a pretty nice marina area where it is flat and you walk along a small strip shopping center where there are some cafes to take a break as you gaze out at the marina and cruise ship pier.

Hank

When we disembarked from Seabourn a couple of weeks ago, they docked the ship on the last berth on the left side of the port(facing port from sea) - Nice/old town side - directly across the water from the Fairmont hotel.

Take a look at Google Maps and find Port Hercule. Put in the Fairmont Monte Carlo. Now look directly across the water from the Fairmont Balconies. That is where they backed the ship. The closest road is Quai Antoine 1er. The dock sticks out at an angle from the end of this road. We were at the end of the dock. Taxis were allowed to come on the dock right at the ship. Bigger ships were tendering further into the port, but still on that side.

Hlitner -

Thanks so much for the information. I think we'll try the bus (with local help it shouldn't be too bad).

ddpe -

It looks like the ship berths on the south arm of the harbor breakwater. Now I find some photos on Google. Doh!

We will probably spend some of what we save on a taxi to have a nice lunch overlooking the harbor. We are suckers for watching boats/yachts coming and going. Anyone have a suggestion for where to have a nice lunch on the southeast side of the Port Hercule harbor while we wait for embarkation?

Thanks again,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Hlitner -

Thanks so much for the information. I think we'll try the bus (with local help it shouldn't be too bad).

So, a followup question. How do the buses deal with luggage? We plan to travel light but will still have a couple of roll on/duffel type bags. Do we keep them with us in the passenger compartment (under the seat or overhead) or is there storage somewhere else on the bus?

TIA

Paul

We sailed out of Monaco on the Regent Navigator so I am sure that the Seabourn ship will do fine. We too stayed in Nice and took the train and a taxi from the train station to the pier. I would think that bags on a city bus would be a bit of a hassle. The train is nice and easier to stow the bags at the end of the car.

Archived