Best Activity in Belize with a 5 and 8 year old?

mvanwink

My wife and two older children will be taking the RC cruise out of Galveston on 12/26. Belize is one of our ports of call. I'm doing as much research as possible on the best excursions/activities to do in each port with an 8 year old and a 4 year old. Any of your collective wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm still getting my head wrapped around all the etiquette of these particular boards, so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place, wrong way to start the thread, etc. Thanks!

You've come to the right place. Others posting on this board have asked similar questions and while it may take a few goes, you can try searching for excursions with children, etc..

Two quick suggestions. 1) Cave-tubing is fun for kids, albeit your 4 yearold may be a little young so depends on how big and how much he/she likes the water. Try cavetubingdot com for a good independent excursion provider. Cheaper than the ship. 2) get a tour to Altun Ha via the River Wallace. A boat tour and a tour of Mayan ruins where you can walk and climb around. Also not a full day. Other options include a city tour and zoo. The zoo is similar to a game preserve and they help animals recover. don't expect a clean park cage walkway like a city zoo here. The city tour part will be a bit boring an d it is a drive out to the zoo. Or consider giving the kids a day on the ship in what ever childcare facilities your ship offers while Mom and Dad go off and do a snorkeling excursion off one of the islands.

I would agree with CREW on the zoo. It is unlike any zoo you have been to. You are kept in the cage, more or less. You will see only animals from Belize

and most are rescue animals. The guides will inform you of Belize history as well as the background of all the animals.

Hey folks,

Thanks for the thoughts. As you suggested, I have, and will continue, to search through previous threads. My main two goals for the kids are to:

1. Find a great AI beach we can spend a day at in one of the ports

2. Take them snorkeling (assuming the solution to #1 doesn't include it)

Given that the other two stops on this trip are Roatan and Cozumel, I was figuring Belize wouldn't be the spot to find a beach to play on. Your advice gives me some great points to start researching further from.

Hey folks,

Thanks for the thoughts. As you suggested, I have, and will continue, to search through previous threads. My main two goals for the kids are to:

1. Find a great AI beach we can spend a day at in one of the ports

2. Take them snorkeling (assuming the solution to #1 doesn't include it)

Given that the other two stops on this trip are Roatan and Cozumel, I was figuring Belize wouldn't be the spot to find a beach to play on. Your advice gives me some great points to start researching further from.

I would do the beach and snorkeling on Roatan. Go over to that board and look up Bananrama or Tabayana beach. For an AI try Nachi Cocum in Cozumel.

I would do the beach and snorkeling on Roatan. Go over to that board and look up Bananrama or Tabayana beach. For an AI try Nachi Cocum in Cozumel.

Crewsweeper is right on. The reef at Tabyanna is spitting distance from the beach and Nachi Cocum is as laidback as you can get.

I loved the cavetubing in Belize but you have to walk or 30 or 40 minutes carrying the tubes, lifejackets and lights. That could be a load if you have to carry the kids stuff too. I would book a trip to Bannister Island and let them dig in the sand.

We took our grandson tubing a couple of years ago when he was 4. He loved it but he'll try anything without a thought. We're going with Victor Bodden in Roatan in a few weeks. He has a glass bottom boat/snorkeling trip and then you head to the beach. This appeals to us beause if the little guy needs a rest he can still check out the fish from the boat. Victor is great by the way, just tell him what you want to do and he'll work it out if he can, quit reasonable too.

Archived