Need help.. wheelchair/limited mobility, what can I do in Roatan??

punkin35

I am in a wheelchair now and will have very limited mobility- walking capabilites in three weeks when we cruise.

Has anyone been to Roatan that is wheelchair bound? What did you do?

Are there any beaches, tours, etc. that I can do with my family?

I would rather not just shop. Any advise, tips or suggestions are much appreciated!! Thanks!

Punkin

In 2008, we went with another family. They have a daughter who is wheelchair bound. We hired Victor Bodden and had a van. We had 2 teenage boys that really did want to zipline (as I also did), they took us ziplining, while we were ziplining took the daughter and mother shopping. After that, took us to the see the monkeys and we all had a lot of fun petting the monkeys. He gave us a tour of the island as well. We wanted to also go to a grocery store and pick up some unique items for the kids (new flavor of chips, different candy and etc.) he took us there.

I am sure they can offer suggestions, but they were very attentive and had no problem accommodating someone in a wheelchair. We just let them know up front.

Hi!

I know I'm late in my reply, but we were on the Dream with my mom, who has limited mobility. She used her wheelchair in Roatan because of the long distances and hills.

I booked the 5 of us an all-day private tour with Rony Bennett for $100 and had a great time. (Our experience is in my ship review in my siggy.) Be warned, however, that if you dock in Mahogany Bay, independent tour guides are not allowed to meet you at the pier area, which means that someone in your party will have to climb a HUGE hill (read: "small mountain") to meet the guide. My husband pushed my mom in her wheelchair up that hill, and nearly slid back down 1/2-way up the incline. :eek:

If you can't make it up the hill, not to worry - just send someone from your party to the top of the hill and wait at the bottom. If there is a cruise passenger in the van with the tour guide, they can enter the port area (mainly for drop-off purposes) and then will be able to pick you up.

Have a great cruise!

Archived