Alaska-May 2011- Cabin advice

pwc115

Seriously considering booking this cruise but trying to decide the best deck to get a balcony cabin- We just got off the Triumph and were on deck 7 and enjoyed that but I wasn't sure if it would be better to be lower on the Alaska cruise so we could see the wildlife better? I know that may sound ridiculous but I want to be able to see everything!! Any advice????

Thanks!

Patricia

I would look at a balcony on the Aft of Deck 4 if you can grab one. The Aft-view will be amazing in Alaska (we took an upgrade to a GS on our Alaska cruise last May which is the only reason I didn't have an aft). Plus the aft balconies on Deck 4 are covered more then the others in case of mist/rain. You will love it no matter what you decide. There is so much to see. We spent a ton of time on our balcony.

It was recommended to us that we get a higher one so we could see further. don't know- that's what we did though and I hope hope hope that nobody comes on now and says all wrong- lower lower. That would mean changing class of balcony and that would cost.

We were on the Empress deck - cabins 6226 and 6228 - had an incredibly large double extended balcony (we were able to get the balcony divider open upon getting on the ship) where we spent 90% of our time. We were able to see whales breach, sea otters play, and were able to experience everything that Alaska is without having to look over someone's shoulder the entire time.

You definitely want to try and have a portside balcony so that you can experience "the views" as you are entering/leaving the ports of call. It won't matter when you are sailing Tracy Arm Fijord, as both the port and starboard balconies will have "the views".

We were on the Empress deck - cabins 6226 and 6228 - had an incredibly large double extended balcony (we were able to get the balcony divider open upon getting on the ship) where we spent 90% of our time. We were able to see whales breach, sea otters play, and were able to experience everything that Alaska is without having to look over someone's shoulder the entire time.

You definitely want to try and have a portside balcony so that you can experience "the views" as you are entering/leaving the ports of call. It won't matter when you are sailing Tracy Arm Fijord, as both the port and starboard balconies will have "the views".

Super! I booked 6200:D

I got off the Spirit in May on my Alaska Cruise.

We booked an inside cabin (Which we prefer).

We were upgraded (which we didn't know until arriving at the port) to an OV on the 4th floor.

My inlaws had a balcony unobstructed, several cabins down on the same floor (4th).

Something you said in your OP reminded me of me... I hate to miss ANYTHING. My inlaws invited us to their balcony any time we wanted, but I can't just stay on one side of the ship. I needed the 360 degree view. Most of my time I spent on the top deck about midship so I could quickly cross over to the other side about every 30 minutes to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

When the weather wasn't great (drizzly or wet) I would go down to the 3rd floor and there is a deck on the outside that you can walk the length of the ship (just doesn't wrap around) so you just go through the doors & you can get to the other side. This was when I spotted the whales. There was a wall (where it would wrap around if it did, but it doesn't so there's a wall) and that protected me from a lot of the wind and rain while I hung out through my whale sighting.

The obstructed view held no benefit for me, except we were closer to my inlaws. My Inlaws didn't use their balcony much as the wind was too cold and often too strong to want to open the door to the bedroom up to go in an out.

Just a warning from experience, the crew placed notice of a high wind on the doors several times so people wouldn't go outside because the wind was too high, a danger factor. However, I was outside on the 3rd deck, searching for whales... I got locked out during a high wind warning. I tried every door, and I couldn't get in... The wind being high makes it impossible to open the door. Finally the last door I tried there was a crew member taping up a sign and he helped me open the door, just enough to squeeze through. He looked at me crazy and asked why I was out there... well no one came outside to tell me I wasn't going to be able to get back in. lol...

One regret on the whole ship: We opted not to do the excursion at the fjords because it was $125-$150 per person, and we thought (foolishly) we would want to spend that money in port instead of going from a big ship to a little boat. We were so wrong. I spent the day going from side to side of the top of the ship taking photos and enjoying the scenery. I really couldn't have had a better time on the ship - I was so impressed, that huge of a ship did a 360 degree turn in the middle of icebergs. What I wished I would have done was go on the excursion on the little boat. They got to get very close to the fjord. The people came back on the ship and said, "did you hear the calving, it was so loud!" I didn't hear or see any calving, and I was sure looking. There were icebergs floating by that were 15 times larger than the excursion boat.

All this means is I will have to go back again, so I can do this excursion :)

I fell in love without he Pacific NorthWest on this vacation!

Have a wonderful trip no matter which room you choose!

I would look at a balcony on the Aft of Deck 4 if you can grab one. The Aft-view will be amazing in Alaska (we took an upgrade to a GS on our Alaska cruise last May which is the only reason I didn't have an aft). Plus the aft balconies on Deck 4 are covered more then the others in case of mist/rain. You will love it no matter what you decide. There is so much to see. We spent a ton of time on our balcony.

I agree with deck 4 aft being a great choice. We were lucky enough to have an aft wrap balcony (4237) but we were mostly looking out of the back of the ship when sailing in Alaska. The aft balcony's on deck 4 are covered so if it is raining you can still enjoy the view! There are 4 aft balconies available between 4237 and 4228 on deck 4.

This is where I would book a cabin if I wasn't able to afford the aft wrap when I sail Alaska again!:):)

I have to put in my vote for the deck 4 aft, and I have never sailed on the Spirit. I will be in June 2011 though (same itinerary) and have done my research. I ended up going with a deck 4 aft balcony for our trip! From what I have seen and read, this is the place to be!

You are all very persuasive. I just called my PVP and switched to a 4th floor aft. The more I thought about it the more I decided I needed to do this. Thanks all. Now I really have to hope for a price drop!

You will love Alaska and you won't regret your cabin choice!:)

Have a great cruise!

You will love Alaska and you won't regret your cabin choice!:)

Have a great cruise!

Thanks- we loved Alaska last spring- hopefully it will be just as wonderful. I had not originally gotten an aft because I am having my knee replaced next month and wanted to save myself the long walks. But I decided I'd rather sit in the cabin if I get tired- and on the last trip I kept having to run from one side the the other anyway.

Archived