Staying in Madrid first...hotels?

plank

My dh and I are staying in Madrid for a few days before going to Barcelona? Does anyone have any good hotel suggestions? Very overwhelmed!!! THX!

I recommend the Wellington; it is a great Hotel in Salamanca, close to EL Retiro Park. Now, it is not really that close to the "tourist" attractions. My family like it, the area is safe, beautiful, and we walk to all the places (we are really great walkers), but we have been several time in Madrid and being close to attractions is not our priority. Although, it is close to Plaza Colon, Puerta de Alcala y EL Prado Museum. It does has a HOHO stop close to the hotel, so we used the first time that we were there.

Try to find a Hotel close to "Puerta del Sol", it is in center Madrid and has a metro station right there. You can walk to most of the main places from there too. It is also a safe place to stay, they had renovated the area and they have a good number of relatively new hotels.

Check in tripadvisor for reviews.

I like to stay in the museum area, not only due to proximity to museums, but also for ambiance and restaurants/ tapas places. There I like the Westin Palace, Villa Real or the more budget Hotel Prado (3 stars). Just stayed in the latter last month , got a great rate on their website.

We are thinking of flying into Lisbon and using the train to see Madrid and then to Barcelona.

Carrying baggage around is a concern of mine, DH is like "We can do it!" We shall see:)!

If you are taking the train from Madrid to Barcelona you should consider staying in the Museum area because it is near to the train station -- and also seems to be a great area.

We are planning on doing something similar next year so I am in the middle of my research. We're looking at the Westin Palace because I need a room that sleeps 3 persons.

Good luck.

I stayed at the Carlos V Best Western when I was in Madrid last, and will be staying there again in a few weeks. It is a boutique hotel, not what you'd expect from a Best Western. Nice staff, very close to Palace and major pedestrian areas, little balconies, and an AMAZING breakfast for the price. Major proscuitto-ville.

I am also planning on a trip to Madrid before a round trip Monaco cruise. I had read about Radisson Blu Hotel in the NYTimes. It sounded good. Does anyone know about it? Also, are three nights a sufficient amount of time to view museums and major sights?.

Archived