Traveling with non sightseers

journeys0404

My adult kids in their 20's are not great sightseers and we are looking for some fun or adventurous things to do in one or all of these places Santorini,Athens and Mykonos

I am not a great sightseer either...so I booked a day trip around Santorini on a Greek boat...fanatastic and time to swim, snorkel, eat and drink...or if you just want sunbake...do this it should appeal to all of you...here is the link... http://www.sy-eleftheria.com/ i hope you enjoy it as much as we did.:D

Hiking to the top of the Acropolis is not really a 'climb', Mike. It can be done in a wheel chair.

There is indeed an elevator which can accomodate wheelchairs. Once on top of the Acropolis, it would be possible to maneuver around part of the area, although it is very rough and irregular in many places.

I am not in a wheelchair, I am a guy with artificial knees that walks with a cane. For me, going up the Propaylia's 185 (or so) steps and entering the Acropolis the way the ancients did is not really a "climb" it is a C L I M B!!! Check the picture of me preparing for it at http://www.bully4.us/med.html !Fit active people will likely have no trouble. The less fit, more mature, or mobility limited are going to find it a challenge.

For me it was a challenge that I accepted as the price of visiting one of the Western World's most important sites. There are places that I have declined making even easier climbs because the sites were not as high on my priority list.

There is indeed an elevator which can accomodate wheelchairs. Once on top of the Acropolis, it would be possible to maneuver around part of the area, although it is very rough and irregular in many places.

I am not in a wheelchair, I am a guy with artificial knees that walks with a cane. For me, going up the Propaylia's 185 (or so) steps and entering the Acropolis the way the ancients did is not really a "climb" it is a C L I M B!!! Check the picture of me preparing for it at http://www.bully4.us/med.html !Fit active people will likely have no trouble. The less fit, more mature, or mobility limited are going to find it a challenge.

For me it was a challenge that I accepted as the price of visiting one of the Western World's most important sites. There are places that I have declined making even easier climbs because the sites were not as high on my priority list.

Thank you Mike for clarifying this. My comment was not intended to be derogatory. But we are responding to a request for young and apparently active people who can probably run up the road to the top.

Thank you Mike for clarifying this. My comment was not intended to be derogatory. But we are responding to a request for young and apparently active people who can probably run up the road to the top.

You are right. BUT -- like many threads, this one takes on a life of its own. The OP does not own a post and comments are not totally restricted to replies to the OP. There are many lurkers on every post who may well be in totally different situations from the OP. I usually make my comments with them in mind and may give ideas, opinions and information that is not strictly pertinent to the OP.

To the OP: your 20 year old kids will likely have no problem climbing the 185 steps up to the Acropolis, if they have any interest in seeing it.

To other posters and lurkers: It is a long climb up the Acropolis. Each of you will need to consider your own condition of fitness and your own desire to see this monument.

How's that? I hope it is good information for everybody.

You are right. BUT -- like many threads, this one takes on a life of its own. The OP does not own a post and comments are not totally restricted to replies to the OP. There are many lurkers on every post who may well be in totally different situations from the OP. I usually make my comments with them in mind and may give ideas, opinions and information that is not strictly pertinent to the OP.

I happen to disagree with this. If you don't like the original thread and want to say something worthwhile to others, then start a new thread. How about 'This is strictly for lurkers'?

Furthermore, the original post asked for fun and adventurous things to do for a couple 20 year olds. I gave a couple ideas about renting a Vespa or motor bike and maybe a four wheel drive. That makes more sense than insisting they have to do what you like to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Hank - why not all go off and do your own thing in places you don't agree. Not everyone is interested in the same thing and that's okay. There will be enough family time at meals and in the evenings and things you do agree.

During a very port intensive cruise, my niece and I chose Mykonos and Athens as ports we'd try to claim some "downtime". Mykonos, just wandered and it was so relaxing. Ending the day sitting at an oudoor cafe with a drink in hand looking at the absolutely beautiful colors of the water. Athens was tail end of trip - we wanted to see the Acropolis only so that's what we did. Didn't schedule anything else that would make it another exhausting all day out. I don't think either of us feels we missed out not seeing Delos or other places that we wanted - - - for this trip. Just means we have to go back for another trip in the future!

I agree with Hank - why not all go off and do your own thing in places you don't agree. Not everyone is interested in the same thing and that's okay. There will be enough family time at meals and in the evenings and things you do agree. During a very port intensive cruise, my niece and I chose Mykonos and Athens as ports we'd try to claim some "downtime". Mykonos, just wandered and it was so relaxing. Ending the day sitting at an oudoor cafe with a drink in hand looking at the absolutely beautiful colors of the water. Athens was tail end of trip - we wanted to see the Acropolis only so that's what we did. Didn't schedule anything else that would make it another exhausting all day out. I don't think either of us feels we missed out not seeing Delos or other places that we wanted - - - for this trip. Just means we have to go back for another trip in the future!

Agree with these excellent points. Mykonos is not that large and huge that people will get totally lost in going off in a different direction for part of the stop. Some love history and old ruins. Others could care less. Lots of great options in these many parts of Greece. There's much to love in just wandering around, people watching, etc.

There is always the question of what and how do you want to “ENJOY" and "EXPERIENCE" things in Greece, etc? Rush-rush and gulp it down like soda pop or beer . . . OR . . . sip and savor the moment like fine wine, doing people watching, sensing an enjoyment of life and the humanity, the architecture, history and charm? It's your choice.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 22,800 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived