cruise and stay Mobile

b1babe

Hi,

Back in February, we stayed at the Hampton Inn-Downtown Historic District. It is across the street from the Radisson. You can see the ship docked from the parking lot of the Hampton Inn. You are very close.

The Hampton has parking while you cruise. The lot is open but behind a fence. No one bothered our car while we were away.

The Hampton was clean and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Enjoy!

Lee

I'm booked at the Hampton. Cruise and stay package. Supposed to include parking for up to 6 nights but the confirmation states parking is $9 per day. I printed the info from the website that states parking is complimentary just in case there is an issue. Regardless, $9 is still cheaper than the $15 at the port. Shuttle is not complimentary but is $5 per person from a shuttle company. Not sure we will use that - we may drive the car to the port, drop off the luggage and one person will park the car at the Hampton and walk. From what I can tell it's walkable which I figure will save us time when we debark. Also, weather looks like it will be nice for a leisurely walk. I'll post a review when we get back and let everyone know how that worked out.

I'm booked at the Hampton. Cruise and stay package. Supposed to include parking for up to 6 nights but the confirmation states parking is $9 per day. I printed the info from the website that states parking is complimentary just in case there is an issue. Regardless, $9 is still cheaper than the $15 at the port. Shuttle is not complimentary but is $5 per person from a shuttle company. Not sure we will use that - we may drive the car to the port, drop off the luggage and one person will park the car at the Hampton and walk. From what I can tell it's walkable which I figure will save us time when we debark. Also, weather looks like it will be nice for a leisurely walk. I'll post a review when we get back and let everyone know how that worked out.

Hi,

I think you might want to rethink the driving to the terminal in Mobile! It is a small terminal and the traffic to get in/out is a nightmare. If you are not a local who does this for a living and knows the "backway" into the terminal, you could be in for a long wait!

As far as walking back to the Hampton after debarkation: If you have no luggage or just a carry-on, by all means you can walk! If you have suitcases to drag behind you, I think you will find it a bit inconvenient.

I suggest that you use the Hampton's shuttle and get a business card from the driver. When you debark and get out of Customs, you will find long lines of people awaiting transportation. Pull out the shuttle driver's business card and call him to come pick you up. You will move to the head of the line because you have chartered him. You may get a few "hey, get in line" and some dirty looks, but by calling the driver, he will verify that he is there to pick YOU up.

Bon Voyage!

Lee

Hi,

I think you might want to rethink the driving to the terminal in Mobile! It is a small terminal and the traffic to get in/out is a nightmare. If you are not a local who does this for a living and knows the "backway" into the terminal, you could be in for a long wait!

As far as walking back to the Hampton after debarkation: If you have no luggage or just a carry-on, by all means you can walk! If you have suitcases to drag behind you, I think you will find it a bit inconvenient.

I suggest that you use the Hampton's shuttle and get a business card from the driver. When you debark and get out of Customs, you will find long lines of people awaiting transportation. Pull out the shuttle driver's business card and call him to come pick you up. You will move to the head of the line because you have chartered him. You may get a few "hey, get in line" and some dirty looks, but by calling the driver, he will verify that he is there to pick YOU up.

Bon Voyage!

Lee

The traffic was why I was thinking of walking to the port. What about the free trolley? Would that be an option? We will have luggage but only one each. There is four of us and I didn't want to have the pay for the shuttle and still have to fight the traffic.

Mobile can be tricky. La Quinta Inns usually let you park there for the cruise for free, but there are none that are close to Mobile's port. I stayed at one, and left my car there for free, and was picked up by fellow cruisers as they passed by. (We had planned that.)

The Radisson, which was mentioned earlier, is right next to the city garage, which you can park at for $7/day without shuttle service. I was told that it would be $35 total without shuttle, $55 with shuttle. If you can't find a decent hotel/park/shuttle deal, you can utilize this city garage, and just stay at whatever hotel you want.

We stayed at the Microtel in Saraland prior to our cruise in August , The rates were very good and they transported us to the port in both directions and we left our car there , they were very nice people to deal with and the hotel is very nearly new .

We are booked there for our November cruise. I plan on walking, we all have rolling suitcases! :) I've heard it's only a few blocks.

The traffic was why I was thinking of walking to the port. What about the free trolley? Would that be an option? We will have luggage but only one each. There is four of us and I didn't want to have the pay for the shuttle and still have to fight the traffic.

Heads up, if you walk up to the gate, make sure EACH person has a copy of your boarding pass. I saw a group of men walk up after they parked outside the gate from dropping off their wives and security would not let them in until their wives came out to get them.

We are booked there for our November cruise. I plan on walking, we all have rolling suitcases! :) I've heard it's only a few blocks.

Yup, I saw a long line walking to the parking lot dragging their luggage. It's about a 20 to 30 min hike. Of course just one person could walk and get the car to pick up the others. I did that with the cab since it was a car and not a van.

We plan on staying at the Drury the night before our November cruise. It is a few miles from port but we like to stay at the Drury whenever possible (LOVE LOVE their free breakfast). We can park our vehicle there for free during the cruise but unfortunatly they do not have a shuttle. We are going to make arrangements the night before for a van-taxi to pick up our party of 6 on debarkation morning.

Archived