South Shore Zipline.. demanding tips??

MrsWine-O

I have read many many post about all of the different zip companies... Deciding between South Shore and Pirates Extreme... it appears that both go over very high levels and are pretty lengthy. First of all for those who have done this, which is the most exciting?? Secondly, who all has had issues with South Shore demanding 20/pp tips?? I've read this on several post, and although I'm not a cheap-o ( only a wine-o!) My DH and I are not up for tipping that amount, much less feeling pressured to do so!! Please let us know your experience as we set sail in only a few weeks and still need to book this excursion!! THANKS ALL! :p

P.S. What is an appropriate amount to tip on excursions???

See thats the thing, I don't want to have that "annoyed" feeling the entire time we are trying to enjoy ourselves. Hearing that South Shore is so worried and concerned about their given tip just makes me want to choose the Pirates even more!!

If they harrassed you for tips...contact island marketing and complain. Island Marketing seems like a really good operation. I have used them MANY times and never once had an issue. Almost every port I have done excursions in (with island marketing or with someone else) the guides have "hinted" around excessively about taking care of them and they will take care of you and yada yada. There has been times where it wasnt to bad and other times where it was flat out annoying! On excursions I will typically tip a guide 10.00 per person if I was happy with the service. I have even bought a guide lunch on one excursion (it was about 15 bucks) and just didnt tip him at the end though I think he was still expecting cash too. You will get these people...they know we are tourists and we are on vacation spending money.

Thanks for the insight Fourseventeen! Yeah the DH and myself have discussed what we thought to be a good tip, 10 bucks seems reasonable considering the cost. I mean that is 20%, what you would normally tip a server @ a restaurant, except they would never even hint that you should tip them! You would think if they aggrevated you enough one would tip them LESS for bringing down the good time!:p

Advice a friend gave about stopping the spa personnel from trying to sell you product while you are trying to enjoy your service/treatment, but it works here, too:

If it annoys you, just tell them (always nicely), "I tip well for good service, however the tip will be better if you just let me enjoy the experience, and don't keep reminding me."

Sounds good to me. Hope this helps.

Sara

Our first experience with South Shore mirrors some comments here. They did tell us they would take good care of us and when we reached the end of the swinging foot bridge, the van driver was holding up a sign about tips. We had left our day packs with my SIL at the starting point and had no cash on us. Of course we had no idea we would be ending at a distance away from the start and had intended to tip when we got back. When we arrived back at the starting point, and I got money from my day pack, and tried to give it to the guides, they were somewhat stand offish as if they weren't suppose to take tips. It was kinda funny in a way. And we learned to stick a few $ in our pockets for the next time.

Thanks crewsweeper! Your knowledge about cruising is always found to be very helpful.... I am always reading your post all @ CC!!! When you booked SS, did you do it directly with them or with IML?? Do they do continous pickups from the booth area? I have yet to find a set time of day they run!! How long did this excursion take you from start to finish??

We did Pirates extremely extreme last week, and the did mention "we take care of you, you take care of us", but only once. I gave them $10 for 2 of us and they seemed kind of neutral about it.

I've never zipped before, but I will say that it felt long and high.

Archived