eurodam Quebec to NY highlights

bella c

Just returned from a great HAL cruise and would like to share some hints I wish I had seen before the trip.

Starting in Quebec at the airport. Flew from Newark, NJ to Quebec at 8:30 getting into Quebec at about 11:00. Plenty of taxis waiting right outside the doors so if you don't want to wait on HAL's lines just take a taxi. It runs about 35.00 and is about 1/2 hour drive.

Ship is docked right in old town and you can walk to Old Quebec city. There is a lift for people who have difficulty walking and it takes you right to the town square.

There is a tourist information center right off the town square and you can pick any tour that fits your taste. Some of us went on a out of town bus tour, to the falls, the park and St. Annes. Some took a walking tour which was great. Small group of 8 and great guide.

There is great shopping there but 12% tax that is not VAT. Our guide suggested a restaurant called the " the bad pig" right on one of the shopping streets it was great, go there.

Don;t forget the ship overnights on the southbound and you have lots of time to see Quebec.

Next stop was Sagaway. Locals dressed in old country garb meet you on the pier. What fun. Also there are crafters in the terminal who are representive of some fine local artist.

There is not much to see there but we did visit a fantastic church in the downtown area and it was well worth the bus to see it. There are lots of hop on hop off buses but again not much to see.

Charlettown was next and here is where I have a great suggestion. We opted for a Taxi

tour here and it was a great choice. After you leave the terminal there are white tents set up and there are taxi tours there. We had a great driver who took us to all the non tourist places. I promised I would tell my CC friends so if you want to opt for a great 3 hours contact him at wondafra@hotmail.com All taxis are regulated by the government.

We went to the beach, to a famous inn, to a fishing village, to a great gallery (best shopping) to a small family run soap factory, to a local cheese factory and finally to Anne of Green Gables House. ( not a big deal to me) Do the taxi run, you will not be sorry.

Well gotta go for now will post more later. Also, wifi on the ship is very expensive and slow. The ship has a bank of computers but a hefty fee to use them. Most port terminals have free wifi and you will see the crew there surfing.

Ask question and I will check later today.

bella

Hey Bella. Just for readers trying to follow along, "the bad pig" restaurant is «Le Cochon Dingue» http://www.cochondingue.com/en/home.html?lang=EN, it's cute. Dingue more closely translates to crazy however. :-)

And you might have visited Saguenay instead! (just a public service so you can label your photos heheh)

Glad you enjoyed the Eurodam. Scott.

Ok, to continue on from Nova Scotia our next scheduled stop was Sidney. However, Igor was in our way so we stayed overnight in Charlotte.. and left the next morning. The captain said we might hit the back draft of Igor and to expect some rough seas. 45mph winds where what the weather people told him. Well when we got out to sea the winds where 85mph and seas were 25 to 30ft. The wind hit one side of the ship and caused us to list to that side. But the captain got on the loudspeaker and said not to worry he would right us up and within minutes we where back on course. I have to say for going into conditions like a North Atlantic storm this ship took it in stride. It was rocking and rolling but I did not see one person sick. The crew was fantastic and by the end of the day we were out of it and in calm seas. It was really nice to have another day at sea/ We played cards, trivia, bingo lots to do.

Next stop was Bar Harbor. It is a tender port and very busy with ships. The Norwigen Dawn was there so the town was hopping. If you are not on a ship excursion make sure you book a local tour. Ollies trollys was one some used. We again found Taxis that took us to Arcadia Nat. Park. We did have to wait until 12:00 to get one as the earlier tour was gone. So if you want to do that see if you can book ahead. Bar Harbor is a tender port and it take a good 20 minutes to get to shore. Also if you do book ahead tell the person at the tender station that you have a independant tour booked so that he will let you off with the ships tours. Or you can shop until the afternoon taxi tour. Great shopping street. Also you must have the lobster rolls there. I have never had so much lobster, all meat no filler.

Next stop was Glouster. Unfortunaltly, this once thriving fishing village is now struggling to survive. The federal gov. (don't you love them) have put so many restrictions on the locals that they cannot make a living fishing. Many have left and the town is trying to hang on. There are some very nice shops within 10 minutes walk and please visit them. These ships really helping them survive. I also went to the Cape Pond Ice house. It is also within walking distance but tucked away. This place was made famous as many characters in the Perfect Storm wore their T shirts. If you have the time, take a tour of this place. It is about 1/2 hour and very interesting. I didn't know just how involved make ice can be.

They have t shirts that are great for sale, get a few.

We then took a local bus (2.00) to Rockport. It is a lovely fishing village about 20minutes away and if you like to shop do it her. Loads of Jewelry, art, t-shirts and other crafty stuff.

We had lunch there and all in all it was very enjoyable.

Had to be back early as it also was a tender port.

Last stop was Newport. Again the tourist office is 1 block from the port. We opted for a 12:00 taxi tour for 2hrs that included " The Breakers". It will make you feel very poor even if you are rich! There is also a very nice shopping street 1 block from the pier and lots of nice restaruants. You get into port via tender again but do not have to be back on ship until 5:00.

We really lucked out with the weather. It was warm and no rain at all. By the time we got to Newport we were in shorts!

This was my first HAL trip and I was very happy with it. I am a Health Inspector by profession and they passed my inspection with flying colors. The Eurodam was a nice ship not as much glam as others but they played oldies on the Lido Deck and I loved it.

Well back to reality. cooking, cleaning and working. Wish I did a round trip. Many did.

Thanks for clarifing the restaurant and my miss spelling. I failed French!! And spelling!

No worries ... I just didn't want people looking for the mystical faraway land of yore called Sagaway -- we have enough lost tourists in Canada! :D:D

Scott.

Archived