Carnival Dream vs. RCI Freedom of the seas

gelson

Trying to decide between Carnival Dream and Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas. We will be bringing our 3 kids Girl 9, Boy 6, Girl 3. We will be going next August to the Eastern Caribbean. Any suggestions between one or the other would be much appreciated.

There are a few things to consider, especially based on the age of your children. We have done both Carnival (a Triumph class ship though, when twins were 3) and FOS (when the kids were 5 1/2). Obviously once the kids are of an older age they get much more involved in the kids club, and mine still talk about the one aboard ROS (almost a year later). This kids club was definitely their favourite. The plus side of the Carnival club though is the fact that if your youngest isn't potty trained (whether it be partial or completely) they can still participate. On an RCI cruise this is not the case, and which was why we chose Carnival when they were younger. The other big difference we found was with the dining experience - the dining staff onboard FOS were much more flexible when it came to serving the children vs the Carnival staff. We found this made a big difference to our experience. Once again though, keep in mind that we were on an older Carnival ship (vs the brand spanking new Carnival Dream, with which they're going to try and make a fabulous impression). Theoretically this shouldn't make a difference, but you never know.

Trying to decide between Carnival Dream and Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas. We will be bringing our 3 kids Girl 9, Boy 6, Girl 3. We will be going next August to the Eastern Caribbean. Any suggestions between one or the other would be much appreciated.

What is the difference in price? If price is about the same then my vote would go to FOS.

My family has only experienced Carnival ships. I was going to book with Royal Carribean but my kids said they had so much fun with Carnival so we are again booked with Carnival.

All 5 of my children LOVE the kids club AND dining in the dining room. The waiters were so friendly and accomodating. THey always had chocolate milk waiting for them. One of my daughters LOVES steak. So she would order it every night for dinner then sit back knowing that the waiters would cut it for her! In fact my 5 year old was 3 when we first took him on a cruise and he started talking on that cruise. Seriously we thought something was wrong with him until he started telling everyone we were on a BIG SHI_! (his p's sounded like t's!):o

Great question! (I've wondered the same thing myself. ;) ) Our family went on Freedom and LOVED it!!! We had such a wonderful time, and my kids cannot wait to go again. My hubby and I are cruising on Allure in March and plan to book a family Freedom trip while onboard. Can't wait!!! :D

One important thing that needs to be mentioned is that Freedom will be going into dry dock early next year and will add more kid-friendly things (and they are already super kid friendly!). The DreamWorks Experience (characters, character dining, character shows, etc.), Royal Babies and Tots nursery (ages 6 months and up!!!), an outdoor movie screen, 3D movie theater, Cupcake Cupboard, etc. Royal Caribbean has heard the voices of those with little ones and is truly catering to the ENTIRE family!

As you can see, we are REALLY excited to go on the Freedom again, especially with all the new additions that will work well with our family. (DH and I are in our 30's, and our kids are 10, 7, and just shy of 2 years)

Having said that, I would like to try a Carnival ship at some point, and the Dream (or another newer ship in the Carnival fleet) would seem to fit the bill for us. Would love to read comparisons from those who have cruised on both.

Hello, We did the Freedom of the Seas last year. We are in our 30's and have a 2yr and a 7 yr. We loved it!!! We love RCCL in general. With that being said we are going on the Dream this Feb. due to RCCL kids club not taking kids till they are 3. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we have just as much fun on the Dream as we did on the Freedom.

Thanks for all the comments. There is a difference of $600 on the price but with RCCL we get a $200 on board credit so it really is only $400 difference. So I do think we are tipping towards the RCCL.

Good idea... no make that...great idea.

Great question! (I've wondered the same thing myself. ;) ) Our family went on Freedom and LOVED it!!! We had such a wonderful time, and my kids cannot wait to go again. My hubby and I are cruising on Allure in March and plan to book a family Freedom trip while onboard. Can't wait!!! :D

One important thing that needs to be mentioned is that Freedom will be going into dry dock early next year and will add more kid-friendly things (and they are already super kid friendly!). The DreamWorks Experience (characters, character dining, character shows, etc.), Royal Babies and Tots nursery (ages 6 months and up!!!), an outdoor movie screen, 3D movie theater, Cupcake Cupboard, etc. Royal Caribbean has heard the voices of those with little ones and is truly catering to the ENTIRE family!

As you can see, we are REALLY excited to go on the Freedom again, especially with all the new additions that will work well with our family. (DH and I are in our 30's, and our kids are 10, 7, and just shy of 2 years)

Having said that, I would like to try a Carnival ship at some point, and the Dream (or another newer ship in the Carnival fleet) would seem to fit the bill for us. Would love to read comparisons from those who have cruised on both.

I was just reading on the dreamworks experience and didnt think it was in effect till the end of March. Do you have an idea of an exact date? If i had to guess it would be the 27th.

I just don't think you can beat the RCI Freedom class. :D My kids thought that their cruises on RCI Freedom and Independence were great.

And actually -- my kids are always emotional when they leave any RCI ship because they make so many friends onboard not just with the kids but with the crew.

We got off another RCI ship back on the 16th of September and my 6 year old is STILL getting all teary every couple of days about that ship. :( And it wasn't even a Freedom class. They were just treated so well. Its just amazing.

Archived