Any Brits about

stubbywillow

Another Midlander here, but I'm in the west mids.

However I was born in good old Notts.

Couple of reasons for not wanting to, I don't have good sea legs (ferries are a no no) and still thought cruise's were for old people! Sorry no offence intended.

Julia

Again, don't worry about the sea legs - I can't go on ferries, coaches or long bus rides. I'm also a queasy car passenger. I don't do cross channel ferries, the Mersey Ferry, gulets, catamarans or sail boats.

I'm absolutely fine on cruise ships, provided I have a mid-ship cabin. I buy Buccastem tablets from the chemist before I go, so if I do start to feel queasy, I can pop one under my lip and the queasiness stops within 15 mins. Sea Legs tablets are supposed to be a good preventative but so are ginger capsules (Holland and Barrett) and peppermint teabags.

If you look in the first time cruiser forums, you'll find plenty of remedies for seasickness. I take all of the above remedies with me but I've not yet had to use any of them.

Carol

South Midland Brit here & I am addicted to cruising :eek: !!!

And I fear there is no cure :eek: !!!

Except booking another cruise :eek: !!!

So that's just what I have to keep doing :eek: !!!

Oh and watching the Webcams mainly on Saturday Nights during the Sailaways :eek: !!! That does help a little ;) !!!

Hey Ho....I'm off on my 3rd ever Cruise in 6 days time....Whoop....Whoop....

hi, i'm another one from the wirral, there seems to be a few of us on here. i too didnt know there was a uk version until chef chris andhost elizanessietried to get me some help to a problem i was having, unfortunately not enough people on here i think as nobody on here posted but loads did on royal carribean site and thanks to them and elizanessie all my problems got sorted. i guess all the sites have something going for them and i will be back here now i know about it. my first cruise coming up in 9 days and cant wait!!well i made a right mess of this, should stick to one colour and stop messing about. just realised 10 days till cruise but 9 days to dreaded flights, via new york to miami- the downside to the holiday!

From Essex.

Unashamedly a RCCL/Celebrity cheerleader.

Enjoy their service ethos and particularly enjoy cruising with Americans.

Am on Back2back on Adventure of the Seas in a couple of weeks time and then being flown out by RCL for a pre-inauguration 3 nighter on the Allure of the Seas in Florida (I am a TA). ROLL ON NOVEMBER :p

Just added a Fred Olsen cruise on Braemar to Cuba for December 2011 to our journey up the Amazon with Princess this Christmas ... and one on the River Thames next July - but in a somewhat smaller boat. And I don't suppose it will have two restaurants or room service!

We're Londoners, and have been on CC for about three years, just discovered the UK section - so refreshing!

I really enjoy the American input on these boards, and when they ask for our experience about Europe it's nice to be able to help - isn't that what it's all about?

We've been on three Princess cruises, enjoyed them all and made some lovely American friends. We find these Americans (yes, there are a lot of them compared to us!) really nice and friendly. This year we're going on an Oceania cruise for the first time, in December, when it's so nice to get away from the English winter!

Another hello from Surrey. We have mainly been on Celebrity & I love them but we are booked on Princess for a full transit of Panama Canal next Feb. It. will be interesting to compare them So far it seems to be only Americans posting on the PC thread (apart from the odd kiwi). Our last cruise was to the Baltic on Eclipse - just fabulous.

This CC board is an amazing source of information. I'm quite addicted.

Happy cruising everyone.

Another Brit here....not onsite so often as busy on my own project, but still cruising as much as I can (finances allowing). I'm a solo cruiser too, so currently very happy with Costa since they have the three essentials.....small ships, 30% single supplement & itineraries that grab the imagination :)

Last cruise was from Singapore to Savona via Malaysia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, Oman, Yemen, Egypt, Suez Canal & finally Italy. The next is Argentina, Brazil, Madeira, Spain & Italy....and later its China, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam & Singapore =)

Basically I am working my way around the world in bits on the best ever form of travel...cruise ships :)

Liz...congrats on the promotion (its about time) ;):)

Hi, very new to cruising, Carousel around the Canaries a couple of years ago and Thompson Celebration on the Red Sea back in January . Off on a Nile Cruise in a couple of weeks as well! Can't wait!

From W Sussex btw. Great forum - fills me full of dreams!

Hi,

Anne here from Blackpool. Only just found this board although been on Thomson, P&O and RCI boards over the last 3 years.

Next cruise Independance of the Seas out of Southampton in January. Done quite a few cruises with P&O but now that I can only cruise in the winter their itineries do not always suit - really don't want to fly if we don't have to as mum is 85 now and finds all the hassle a bit of a chore.

Never been on IOS before although cruised on Explorer of the Seas a couple of times and enjoyed it. Not the same as P&O but just accepted that it is a different product at a different price.

I can get sea-sick on a Thames cruiser so take sea-sick pills whilst I am on board. Normally use Boots travel calm although the bonine given out by RCI was very good.

Can't wait for the 7th January when we set off for Southampton!!:D

Hi,

Anne here from Blackpool. Only just found this board although been on Thomson, P&O and RCI boards over the last 3 years.

Next cruise Independance of the Seas out of Southampton in January. Done quite a few cruises with P&O but now that I can only cruise in the winter their itineries do not always suit - really don't want to fly if we don't have to as mum is 85 now and finds all the hassle a bit of a chore.

Never been on IOS before although cruised on Explorer of the Seas a couple of times and enjoyed it. Not the same as P&O but just accepted that it is a different product at a different price.

I can get sea-sick on a Thames cruiser so take sea-sick pills whilst I am on board. Normally use Boots travel calm although the bonine given out by RCI was very good.

Can't wait for the 7th January when we set off for Southampton!!:D

Hello Anne.

If you want to sign onto your future IOS cruise, go onto www.cruisecritic.com boards then onto Royal Carribean and then onto your cruise ship and then onto the date you are sailing, there should be a thread thats already started, you will find out loads of information and ask questions. They also organise a group get together where you can meet all your cruise critic members and some times they arrange their own tours. You will find it very busy.

Regarding sea-sickness, me too. I take joy rides for children they dont make you tired and always take some crystalize ginger that will stop you feeling sick. Have a good cruise.

Hi,

Next cruise Independance of the Seas out of Southampton in January

Here you go Anne...the link to the roll call for your Independence sailing...where you can then chat with others going on your sailing -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1127690

The Independence is a beautiful ship and I am sure you will have a fabulous time on her. :D

Hi All

Did a Nile cruise a few years ago which was absolutely fabulous. 2008 sailed Serenade to Alaska and two booked cruises in May 2011. Northwest Pacific LA to Vancouver followed by another Alaskan Vancouver to Seattle. Can't Wait.:)

Hello everyone - just back from RCCL from Venice. Tried to organise a private tour on the roll call but it was very quiet. I realised once on board that the percentage of US guests was much lower than on our previous cruises. Lots of British (half term week) Irish, Scandinavians, Brazilians, and smatterings from lots of other nations.

Didnt realise this forum existed until today.

In the past we have cruised with Celebrity and Princess and found their roll calls much busier perhaps because of the higher proportion from St Petersburg - fantastic and had as similar group on Celebrity for Ephesus.

Contemplating either Windstar or P & O for next cruise. Bit worried about the dress code on P & O - had a lunch onboard Oceana in Southampton last month and they said that it was impossible to escape formal night even if you decide to just go to the Buffet - I usually like dressing up - but don't want to be forced to !

Hi all,

Carole from Coventry here. I'm usually found hanging around the RCCL boards (was on the Oasis in September, OMG what a fantastic ship), also look in on HAL as going on the Ryndam next July.

The 1st cruise we did was on Carnival Conquest in 2003 out of New Orleans. We were at Guest Relations one day and happened to mention we'd not heard any other British accents on the ship. We were told that we were the only pax from England although there was one family from Scotland on board. We never did run into them though!

I'm totally addicted to CC although I only came across this forum tonight. When I post on boards mainly used by our American friends, I find that I really have to think how to put things so that they understand what I'm talking about. Its as if we're speaking a different language sometimes :D.

Hey....this is a great little thread. I didn't know it was here and have been using CC for a while now.

We are living near to Redcar in the North East. I originate from the Middlesbrough area and my partner Sally from Wetherby. We actually met on a cruise and have been together ever since.

We like P&O but actually prefer (only slightly though) the Princess cruises. We feel as though we can build up our 'cruise perks' sooner and easier.

We have a great booking agent that we use who can usually undercut the best prices we get from elsewhere. Obviously can't do any promotions on here so we will leave it at that.

We have only ever cruised the Caribbean (so we can get away from our winter weather) and never get bored going to the islands repeatedly. It's the hot weather and the unpacking just once that we enjoy.

Looking forward to reading further posts here...........and many more cruises of course, though nothing booked in the near future.

Pete.

Hello,

We are frequent to Cruise Critic, and on Roll call for Celebrity Equinox

for upcoming Cruise this November, we have made some great

connections with felllow passengers, and looking forward to a 'get

together' on the first full sea day, with a gift exchange, and a wear

something red for sailaway at one of the bars.

So far we have approx 95 on our roll call, and our board is very

active, as its sailing out of Ft L at present us and another couple from

the UK.

Mrs Blue Sky

Hello everyone,

Emma from Wales here,

We have only been on one cruise ,but I booked it about 18 months in advance and did lots of planning with the help of CC.

Havent got anything planned at the moment but still go on CC to see whats going on.

I like reading the reviews and cant help laughing at some of the daft questions (mind you I probably asked some daft questions)

Hope to cruise again soon

Emma

There seems to be more British on the forum than a few years ago. More on Princess and Cunard than the other cruise lines. About 11 years ago we did a HAL cruise and the Captain said there were only 8 British onboard!

Have been on Holland America (5) RCCL (2) Carnival (1) Cunard (2). This month we are sailing Princess for the first time. Although HAL is our favourite we don't stay loyal to any line. We tend to go for the 3 D's. Deals, Destinations, dates:)

It is wonderful to see more and more UK members on CC :D

When I joined 7 years ago there was only a handful of UK members and I used to get so excited when I saw a post by someone from the UK...I admit I was like..."ooh where are you from in the UK..how did you find this site".

Now as cruising has grown bigger on this side of the pond I refrain from jumping all over a UK member and asking them the questions when I see them post:D

Archived