Vaccinations required for Exotic Western on Sprit??

sjbdtz

I'm reading all the fear-mongering on Travel Health websites, but for cruise-only passengers, are there any REALLY recommended vaccinations, or are there any which are required by law?

We're visiting Costa Maya, Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatamala, Belize City, Belize, and Cozumel Mexico.

ALSO, if there are any must-see things there..... this is a last-minute free cruise courtesy of Harrah's, and we don't know much about this region......

Thanks!

Stephen

I'm reading all the fear-mongering on Travel Health websites, but for cruise-only passengers, are there any REALLY recommended vaccinations, or are there any which are required by law?

We're visiting Costa Maya, Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatamala, Belize City, Belize, and Cozumel Mexico.

ALSO, if there are any must-see things there..... this is a last-minute free cruise courtesy of Harrah's, and we don't know much about this region......

Thanks!

Stephen

None that I ever heard of and we've been to all those ports.

We did this cruise last fall with our whole family (inlaws, brother, friend, and 2 year old son) Did not need any shots, we had a great time. the ports are awsome. We went to the resort in Guatamala, it was beautiful. In costa maya , we just stayed near the dock at the pool area and swam, ate, and shopped. In cozumel we always just take a taxi to paradise beach and hang out and relax. In belize we did the beach break thru NCL. Loved it.

Hope this helps.

If there were any legally required vaccinations I'm pretty sure the cruise line would ask for proof that you had taken them. I've never seen any cruise line ever ask for any proof for a Caribbean cruise.

Whether you should take any more vaccinations prior to your cruise should be left between you and your doctor.

Did you check the World Health Organization website to see what they reccommend for current outbreaks. The Center for Disease Control also has a great website.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/guatemala.aspx

You can search for any country. Scroll down the list after the reccommended vaccinations and you can see what has high priority. Mexico/Acalpulco area seems to have a high incidence of Roundworms at the moment, and you can see the latitude where Malaria is concentrated.

Just try to avoid bug bites and you'll be fine.

Thank you everyone.

Can't give blood ever, anyway (gay men are banned from donating blood....regardless of their individual status).

Looking forward to a mid-winter escape...usually we just suffer through it.

Archived